Coherence - intense low budget sci fi

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
definitely reminiscient of Triangle. down to the cute blonde lead.

also similar to primer and kinda predestination.

Ima need @TheGodling to break this one down for us

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
So I just watched it and it was watchable but also kinda shytty. I'm not sure why @flyry needs me or anyone to break it down because I was outright insulted by how lazily the movie explained everything with that ridiculous "Oh, my brother the scientist has a book with lesson notes that just so happens to explain everything we're going through" shyt. Appalling. I guess the problem comes from the movie not even doing the concept right which is why things might start to seem... incoherent.

Anyway, to explain the movie (the plot and its issues):

Emily is the only character we follow only one version of, as she encounters people from other realities entering theirs, and enters other realities. Until she decides to find the reality she wants (one where they never left the house, and as such, remained largely untouched by the realities crossing over) and take 'her' other self's place in that 'clean' reality.

My biggest problem is the movie can't really grasp its own concept well. Do the realities start to branch out when the comet hits, or are these realities all different, including different pasts? Because the movie never gives a clear answer on this, constantly insinuating both options, perhaps to forcibly create discussion (the Nolan way) or because the filmmakers don't get their own concept.

Towards the end of the movie, they seem to lean more and more towards the second option (implying there are different personalities) but that breaks the whole movie because why are there so many constants then (the same group of eight, in the same house, living largely the same lives).

And if it isn't the second scenario (implied when Mike's history of fukking Beth is shown to be shared by all other reality versions present), why the fukk are they all freaking out so much? Because at best the other reality counterparts would just be minor deviations of their 'originals' taking different decisions during that night and that night alone.

It commits the worst fault of a scifi movie and that's not following the rules of the scifi concept the entire movie is built around. Not since Looper decided to throw out the basic rule of a time loop and break the entire movie's concept right in front of the credits have I been this insulted by a movie's use of scifi concepts.

Anyway, like I said at the beginning, it's still watchable and that's mostly that for the most part, the concept allows for unpredictable turns so it never gets boring. Also, I'm a sucker for "people getting together and all their underlying issues crawl to the surface" movies and that's basically what this movie is beneath its surface.

In conclusion, it might be cool to see it once but the poor execution of the base concept means it'll probably fall apart more and more the more you try to make sense of it.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
So I just watched it and it was watchable but also kinda shytty. I'm not sure why @flyry needs me or anyone to break it down because I was outright insulted by how lazily the movie explained everything with that ridiculous "Oh, my brother the scientist has a book with lesson notes that just so happens to explain everything we're going through" shyt. Appalling. I guess the problem comes from the movie not even doing the concept right which is why things might start to seem... incoherent.

Anyway, to explain the movie (the plot and its issues):

Emily is the only character we follow only one version of, as she encounters people from other realities entering theirs, and enters other realities. Until she decides to find the reality she wants (one where they never left the house, and as such, remained largely untouched by the realities crossing over) and take 'her' other self's place in that 'clean' reality.

My biggest problem is the movie can't really grasp its own concept well. Do the realities start to branch out when the comet hits, or are these realities all different, including different pasts? Because the movie never gives a clear answer on this, constantly insinuating both options, perhaps to forcibly create discussion (the Nolan way) or because the filmmakers don't get their own concept.

Towards the end of the movie, they seem to lean more and more towards the second option (implying there are different personalities) but that breaks the whole movie because why are there so many constants then (the same group of eight, in the same house, living largely the same lives).

And if it isn't the second scenario (implied when Mike's history of fukking Beth is shown to be shared by all other reality versions present), why the fukk are they all freaking out so much? Because at best the other reality counterparts would just be minor deviations of their 'originals' taking different decisions during that night and that night alone.

It commits the worst fault of a scifi movie and that's not following the rules of the scifi concept the entire movie is built around. Not since Looper decided to throw out the basic rule of a time loop and break the entire movie's concept right in front of the credits have I been this insulted by a movie's use of scifi concepts.

Anyway, like I said at the beginning, it's still watchable and that's mostly that for the most part, the concept allows for unpredictable turns so it never gets boring. Also, I'm a sucker for "people getting together and all their underlying issues crawl to the surface" movies and that's basically what this movie is beneath its surface.

In conclusion, it might be cool to see it once but the poor execution of the base concept means it'll probably fall apart more and more the more you try to make sense of it.
i give it a 6 or a 6.5. I liked Triangle more I think.

I enjoyed some of the suspense when all the fukkery started but i also kind of laughed at how much they were freaking out over a doorbell and knock.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
i give it a 6 or a 6.5. I liked Triangle more I think.

I enjoyed some of the suspense when all the fukkery started but i also kind of laughed at how much they were freaking out over a doorbell and knock.

I did think they were seriously overreacting to almost everything else before it became clear what was going on. Like they didn't even contemplate that maybe other people in their neighborhood were checking on them (similar to what they were doing), they acted each time like a serial killer was as the door or something.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
I did think they were seriously overreacting to almost everything else before it became clear what was going on. Like they didn't even contemplate that maybe other people in their neighborhood were checking on them (similar to what they were doing), they acted each time like a serial killer was as the door or something.
QFT.

Best line was when dude told him he was sleeping with his wife in every reality :dead:

ShadowBroker

Born of the Night
Daps
Reppin
KIC 8462852
Watched it last night. May have to watch it again bc I was so sleepy. I liked it tho. I'd like to see more movie this if anyone has any recommendations.