Code Vein (Action RPG From God Eater Devs)

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
I saw this game on sale for $20 recently and as a big JRPG fan, I decided to give it a chance. Even though I have never played a Souls-like game I really enjoyed it. Granted early on the game kind of kicked my ass, but I kinda appreciate that to be honest. Although being stuck on that Invading Executioner boss fukking sucked though.

The strongest aspect is the story is definitely the story IMO. It is a depressing ride, but it does a good job at especially if you go through every vestige. Also, each character has their own charm and granted the only character that got development if you get the true ending is Io honestly. While the characters aren't as good as most JRPG's they still hold up IMO.

Honestly, once you get to the Cathedral area the game becomes easier since you have more customization with different Blood Codes, skills, and equipment. So it isn't stupid difficult by any means.

While the combat is good there were 2 issues I had with. The first that while not overly difficult the raid fights were badly designed IMO. For a game that seems to be designed for 1 vs 1 combat having to deal with 12-15 enemies where 4 appear at the same and some can respawn right behind you.

The other was the boss:

The Cannoneer and Blade Bearer. It is more so the fact that all other bosses were 2 vs 1. But here it is 2 vs 2, but either you or your partner get double-teamed most of the time. If they weren't reliant on fire and ice damage respectively it actually could have been much much worse.

Anyway, I do think this game gets more flack than it deserves. Obviously, Souls fans will enjoy it. It doesn't help it is also meant to appeal to JRPG fans where there is no easy mode. Definitely enjoyed my time with it.

One thing to note if you don't plan to play NG+ which is where the higher difficulty comes in, do NOT consider buying the DLC.