Clark Atlanta had 46,000 applicants for 1200 freshman seats in 2024?

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
That's an acceptance rate of 2.4%, which is lower than Harvard and Caltech (both 3%, from what I googled).

It's an interesting development, if true.

That's not how you calculate the acceptance rate. Colleges accept way more people than they can actually hold, because they know most of the students they accept will get into several other schools too and are going to turn them down. The # they accept depends on how prestigious they are - Harvard can assume that 80-85% of its accepted students will take that Harvard education, while even a slightly lower-ranked school is going to have more competition so perhaps only 50% of accepted students will take a seat, and lower-level schools assume that only 10-20% of accepted students will actually join. Calculations are generally predictable based on the previous years' data.

Suge Shot Me

All Star
Supporter
Daps
That's not how you calculate the acceptance rate. Colleges accept way more people than they can actually hold, because they know most of the students they accept will get into several other schools too and are going to turn them down. The # they accept depends on how prestigious they are - Harvard can assume that 80-85% of its accepted students will take that Harvard education, while even a slightly lower-ranked school is going to have more competition so perhaps only 50% of accepted students will take a seat, and lower-level schools assume that only 10-20% of accepted students will actually join. Calculations are generally predictable based on the previous years' data.
How are the published acceptance rates calculated?

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
How are the published acceptance rates calculated?

# of applications / # accepted

For example, online it claims that in some recent previous years, Clark Atlanta had 16,000 applications of which they accepted 9,000. Then their freshman class was 1,200. So their acceptance rate was 56%, but the % of accepted students who actually chose to attend was only about 13%.

I don't know if those #'s are accurate, but they're believable because Clark Atlanta is one of the better HBCUs, so there are probably a lot of high-performing Black students who applied there on a "maybe if I considered an HBCU it would be that one", but who also applied to high-level PWIs. And a lot of kids are applying to 10-20 or more colleges nowadays, so they get into a lot of schools but can only attend one.

Braman

Superstar
Daps
The university seats are very competitive and for the best students, there is always the community college route or learning a trade, or work or doing any apprenticeship, carpentry, plumbing alot of other routes and options

Disgusting.

And not bc it’s not true. But bc you woud NEVER hear someone tell that to white folk. :scust:

Nigerians and Asians be out here expecting doctors. Shoot for the moon you’ll land in the clouds.

The difference in what’s expected should be insulting, instead you kneegas are dapping it up

OperationNumbNutts

Superstar
Daps
I read in another article that 46000 applicants is more than what the University of Georgia receives.

Quick google:

Uga had 43000 applicants for 6200 slots

UGA has 41000 + students
Clark has 3800+
Ok but still.......................it doesn't take away from the poor quality in journalism on this story. It was more advertisement than anything.

gldnone913

Integrity and Consistency
Daps
Reppin
VA
One thing to consider is that CAU is a part of the Common App and they got a number of applicants like that. Not trying to take anything away from Clark Atlanta, but I'm sure they got some kids who mass applied to schools.

My niece finished 2nd in her class and was dual enrolled at the local CC, meaning she's already a junior. She used the Common App and got into all of these schools :yeshrug: