Charlotte or Raleigh for IT career/and life as a young adult

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
I said what I said.

Born at Presbyterian Hospital on 6/26/1977 in Charlotte, NC.

Not hyperbolic since I'm a day one..not a transplant. I am a goddamn Tar Heel. Please don't come at me with that subliminal shyt trying to diminish my opinion which wasn't even addressed to you.
My brother I can comment on whatever I choose to, and nothing in my post was a subtle jab at anything, so you're extra emotional for no reason. Nothing I said was any intent to diminish your opinion...

daboywonder2002

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
minnesota
so I live in a suburb outside of Chicago. There's decent opportunities here, but recently I've decided that I want to do something different. As I'm almost 1 year in my tech career, and as a single man, I want to move in a city where I can really grow in my career. I'm looking to move into an affordable tech city, and Charlotte/Raleigh is what I'm deciding on.

I hear that Raleigh is better than Charlotte for IT jobs, as Charlotte focuses more on Banking. But Charlotte is still good for IT professionals. I have family down in Charlotte, so that's one plus I would have over Raleigh. I also hear there's much more to do in Charlotte, but Raleigh is cheaper.

Edit: I also plan to buy a condo. So I guess that's a factor too.

For a single 23 year old man, what city would be best for my career, but also wanting to go out every so often?
What's wrong with Chicago as a tech hub though?

Adonai

Pro
Daps
I live in Raleigh and work in IT. The market here is fire for IT jobs. You have SAS in Cary, Redhat and Citrix downtown, Lenovo, NetApp, Cisco, and Oracle in Morrisville, and Apple is building a secret campus right next to Cisco. And that’s just tech companies. Don't forget Biotech is huge here and those companies hire their own internal IT teams so RTP is a huge job center.

Last edited:

daboywonder2002

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
minnesota
I live in Raleigh and work in IT. The market here is fire for IT jobs. You have SAS in Cary, Redhat and Citrix downtown, Lenovo, NetApp, Cisco, and Oracle in Morrisville, and Apple is building a secret campus right next to Cisco. And that’s just tech companies. Don't forget Biotech is huge here and those companies hire their own internal IT teams so RTP is a huge job center.
What are those suburbs like Cary and Morrisville? I was reading something on facebook and a lot of people were talking about leaving Raleigh because they got priced out. They have to go to the out out skirts.

daboywonder2002

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
minnesota
I read your post on reddit as well. It seems like they were telling you to stay in Chicago. Are you just tired of the midwest and the cold?

Oozy

Rookie
Daps
What are those suburbs like Cary and Morrisville? I was reading something on facebook and a lot of people were talking about leaving Raleigh because they got priced out. They have to go to the out out skirts.

I think the locals are just being overdramatic. The prices may be increasing, but Raleigh (and NC in general) is still cheaper than Chicago, LA, NYC, DMV, etc.

Cary is more expensive than Raleigh. It's like the Naperville of NC from what I heard.

Oozy

Rookie
Daps
I read your post on reddit as well. It seems like they were telling you to stay in Chicago. Are you just tired of the midwest and the cold?

Yeah, but I'm on discord and several people who live in Raleigh/NC told me that it's just natives who want to gatekeep because they don't want more people coming in.

I'm tired of Chicago for several reasons. For one, although there are IT jobs, I feel there are better cities. The taxes are crazy and still going up, the Venezuelan migrant issue, and I just want something new. Lol. Those people just don't understand.

Adonai

Pro
Daps

Cary is very suburban, and very expensive as well, The average home price is like $600k compared to $400k in Raleigh. Cary has a lot of shopping and great schools. Pretty much a clutch-ass place to raise your family and not worry about stupid shyt going down.

Morrisville is pretty much just housing and a couple of shopping centers. Mad Indians out there because of the proximity to RTP. It's also right next to the airport so plane noise is a common complaint.

But I'm not going to lie, Raleigh prices have gotten out of hand. My first place was a 1 bedroom in Wake Forest at $895 a month in 2017. The same apt is now renting for $1500. This is where you get most of the complaints from Triangle natives having to move to less desirable areas (Zebulon, Franklinton, and Angier). Teacher and local government salaries haven't really kept up with this so if they weren't locked into a low mortgage and were renting while it was cheap they're cooked now because of rent increases.