Charlotte or Raleigh for IT career/and life as a young adult

Oozy

Rookie
Daps
so I live in a suburb outside of Chicago. There's decent opportunities here, but recently I've decided that I want to do something different. As I'm almost 1 year in my tech career, and as a single man, I want to move in a city where I can really grow in my career. I'm looking to move into an affordable tech city, and Charlotte/Raleigh is what I'm deciding on.

I hear that Raleigh is better than Charlotte for IT jobs, as Charlotte focuses more on Banking. But Charlotte is still good for IT professionals. I have family down in Charlotte, so that's one plus I would have over Raleigh. I also hear there's much more to do in Charlotte, but Raleigh is cheaper.

Edit: I also plan to buy a condo. So I guess that's a factor too.

For a single 23 year old man, what city would be best for my career, but also wanting to go out every so often?

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
so I live in a suburb outside of Chicago. There's decent opportunities here, but recently I've decided that I want to do something different. As I'm almost 1 year in my tech career, and as a single man, I want to move in a city where I can really grow in my career. I'm looking to move into an affordable tech city, and Charlotte/Raleigh is what I'm deciding on.

I hear that Raleigh is better than Charlotte for IT jobs, as Charlotte focuses more on Banking. But Charlotte is still agood for IT professionals. I have family down in Charlotte, so that's one plus I would have over Raleigh. I also hear there's much more to do in Charlotte, but Raleigh is cheaper.

Edit: I also plan to buy a condo. So I guess that's a factor too.

For a single 23 year old man, what city would be best for my career, but also wanting to go out every so often?
I've never lived in either but know a decent bit from work and anecdotes.

Both cities are great for young Black professionals career wise. Raleigh is slower on the nightlife end and is more a good family type city. Only 4 hour drive from DC though. Personally I have a feeling dating options could be better in Raleigh, especially with the schools in the area including two HBCUs.

Just FYI since COVID neither Charlotte nor Raleigh have been as affordable as in the past. Not Chicago expensive but not 'cheap' if you want to live in a nice place in a nice area.

Raleigh is best for straight IT/Tech companies while Charlotte has great careers in IT as a function in many sectors, especially finance. I don't think you could go wrong career wise.

@murksiderock can comment on Raleigh and @The M.I.C. is a Charlotte breh

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm originally from the Chicagoland area myself, currently live in the research triangle. You can't go wrong with either choice.

I'd give the slight edge to raleigh in regards to the Tech field, but tbh Charlotte I'm a much better city overall. Charlotte still maintains a somewhat big city feel (nothing like the chi. Though.) Raleigh, though a lot more dynamic and "happening" than before, is mainly geared towards college kids and families. But that being said, the great thing about this area (or the Carolinas in general) is that you have easy access to places like D.C, ATL, Charlotte, even Florida if you're tryna get away for a weekend.

But ultimately its gonna come down to what you prioritize more though.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Doubling up on what was mentioned before me:

I'm not originally from the area, but had kids here and it's home now. Currently live in North Raleigh, formerly lived in South Charlotte. I enjoy both cities, and they are really more similar to each other than people generally state. There are some contrasts, though...

For OP, I'd choose Charlotte as you have family there that can buffer your transition comfortably, and there's still IT there. It's twice the size of Raleigh, and is gonna look and feel that way---->don't come down here expecting Charlotte to be Chicago though, because you'll disappoint yourself. But Charlotte is a big city and has the entertainment and amenities of a large city in its weight class...

Raleigh is rounding into a large city but is probably what Charlotte looked like 25 years ago. Both cities are great for families, but Charlotte having more of a nightlife gives it a leg up for singles. At the same time, Raleigh has a huge university presence, so it's a young city, and there are plenty of singles. And I'm not even talking about going to the Durham/Chapel Hill area and the colleges there, just on the Raleigh side of the metro you have State, Shaw + St Aug's (HBCUs), Campbell, Peace, Meredith, and several technical schools including the best junior/community College in the state, Wake Tech...

Raleigh has a spirit of hustle and creativity about it to a degree that Charlotte doesn't quite have, it's a really interesting note. There's a ton of brain power here, people know how to get the money. Raleigh is also more fashionable and stylish than Charlotte...

On the other hand, Charlotte has more speed and hustle and bustle, it's a faster paced city and while not as artistic as Raleigh those elements exist in Charlotte too. There's just so much more going on in Charlotte at any time of day. Both check out well in terms of local music, but Charlotte's is better...

They are both two of the best places for black people in the US. Heavy on the black entrepreneurship, with tons of representation of black people in positions of authority and leadership. Large black middle classes, and more noticeable black wealth than you'd see in most places...

These are both very safe cities, too. Charlotte's rough areas are a little more wild, but both have in common that the wild areas are easy to avoid because comparatively speaking, there aren't that many when you think of other cities. There's so much black success in both cities...

I have alot of love for both cities and I think both are among the Top 10-15 best cities for black people nationally...

Oozy

Rookie
Daps
I'm originally from the Chicagoland area myself, currently live in the research triangle. You can't go wrong with either choice.

I'd give the slight edge to raleigh in regards to the Tech field, but tbh Charlotte I'm a much better city overall. Charlotte still maintains a somewhat big city feel (nothing like the chi. Though.) Raleigh, though a lot more dynamic and "happening" than before, is mainly geared towards college kids and families. But that being said, the great thing about this area (or the Carolinas in general) is that you have easy access to places like D.C, ATL, Charlotte, even Florida if you're tryna get away for a weekend.

But ultimately its gonna come down to what you prioritize more though.

How would you compare Chicago to Raleigh/Charlotte for IT professionals?

Oozy

Rookie
Daps
Doubling up on what was mentioned before me:

I'm not originally from the area, but had kids here and it's home now. Currently live in North Raleigh, formerly lived in South Charlotte. I enjoy both cities, and they are really more similar to each other than people generally state. There are some contrasts, though...

For OP, I'd choose Charlotte as you have family there that can buffer your transition comfortably, and there's still IT there. It's twice the size of Raleigh, and is gonna look and feel that way---->don't come down here expecting Charlotte to be Chicago though, because you'll disappoint yourself. But Charlotte is a big city and has the entertainment and amenities of a large city in its weight class...

Raleigh is rounding into a large city but is probably what Charlotte looked like 25 years ago. Both cities are great for families, but Charlotte having more of a nightlife gives it a leg up for singles. At the same time, Raleigh has a huge university presence, so it's a young city, and there are plenty of singles. And I'm not even talking about going to the Durham/Chapel Hill area and the colleges there, just on the Raleigh side of the metro you have State, Shaw + St Aug's (HBCUs), Campbell, Peace, Meredith, and several technical schools including the best junior/community College in the state, Wake Tech...

Raleigh has a spirit of hustle and creativity about it to a degree that Charlotte doesn't quite have, it's a really interesting note. There's a ton of brain power here, people know how to get the money. Raleigh is also more fashionable and stylish than Charlotte...

On the other hand, Charlotte has more speed and hustle and bustle, it's a faster paced city and while not as artistic as Raleigh those elements exist in Charlotte too. There's just so much more going on in Charlotte at any time of day. Both check out well in terms of local music, but Charlotte's is better...

They are both two of the best places for black people in the US. Heavy on the black entrepreneurship, with tons of representation of black people in positions of authority and leadership. Large black middle classes, and more noticeable black wealth than you'd see in most places...

These are both very safe cities, too. Charlotte's rough areas are a little more wild, but both have in common that the wild areas are easy to avoid because comparatively speaking, there aren't that many when you think of other cities. There's so much black success in both cities...

I have alot of love for both cities and I think both are among the Top 10-15 best cities for black people nationally...

How would you compare them to Chicago? I know Chicago is a bigger city and more lively, but in terms of career, would someone like me have better opportunities moving here?

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
How would you compare them to Chicago? I know Chicago is a bigger city and more lively, but in terms of career, would someone like me have better opportunities moving here?
I think there are plenty of opportunities in Rgh and Clt, especially in your field...

Life is ultimately what we make it. The two biggest Carolina cities are Clt and Rgh, there is plenty of opportunity in both. Coming from Chi it will be a slower pace and then you're moving to the South, the climate and culture will be different. But both cities are EXCELLENT places to be black in, and may have better overall livability than Chi for black people when you account for schools, crime, cost of living and income---->as a matter of fact I'd say they probably are better places to be black. You aren't losing any black culture going to these cities as both are have an abundance of black history and representation...

So I'd say going to either one is an overall net positive than staying in Chi, just understand they are smaller cities that you will give up big city shyt that matters to you. But neither are really small towns either, there's plenty to do in both...

The M.I.C.

The King In The West đź‘‘
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Charlotte - Washington D.C.
I've never lived in either but know a decent bit from work and anecdotes.

Both cities are great for young Black professionals career wise. Raleigh is slower on the nightlife end and is more a good family type city. Only 4 hour drive from DC though. Personally I have a feeling dating options could be better in Raleigh, especially with the schools in the area including two HBCUs.

Just FYI since COVID neither Charlotte nor Raleigh have been as affordable as in the past. Not Chicago expensive but not 'cheap' if you want to live in a nice place in a nice area.

Raleigh is best for straight IT/Tech companies while Charlotte has great careers in IT as a function in many sectors, especially finance. I don't think you could go wrong career wise.

@murksiderock can comment on Raleigh and @The M.I.C. is a Charlotte breh

Charlotte is a good spot for anyone who's in IT..just like you said, the high amount of banks and tech companies here are always looking for talented IT pros. Job wise, bro will be good.

The nightlife here has always been a bit mediocre and it's fallen off quite a bit since COVID. Uptown Charlotte hasn't yet recovered but there's a whole lot of money being poured into it right now where when all the construction is done, I can clearly see it drawing people in in regards to nighttime recreation. Outside of that, you have South End, NODA and on a smaller note, University City, as areas keep you entertained. Concord, further north, has a massive mall right down the road from the Charlotte Motor Speedway.

Crime is out of control here..I won't bullshyt you. It's gotten worse over the past few years. It's gotten expensive as shyt as well..I live in the suburbs to the East in a town called Matthews and my house has gone up in value by a third in two years. If you're also used to a competent public transportation network where you're at now..you're gonna be sorely disappointed coming down here and seeing the shambles of a transit network Charlotte has.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Charlotte is a good spot for anyone who's in IT..just like you said, the high amount of banks and tech companies here are always looking for talented IT pros. Job wise, bro will be good.

The nightlife here has always been a bit mediocre and it's fallen off quite a bit since COVID. Uptown Charlotte hasn't yet recovered but there's a whole lot of money being poured into it right now where when all the construction is done, I can clearly see it drawing people in in regards to nighttime recreation. Outside of that, you have South End, NODA and on a smaller note, University City, as areas keep you entertained. Concord, further north, has a massive mall right down the road from the Charlotte Motor Speedway.

Crime is out of control here..I won't bullshyt you. It's gotten worse over the past few years. It's gotten expensive as shyt as well..I live in the suburbs to the East in a town called Matthews and my house has gone up in value by a third in two years. If you're also used to a competent public transportation network where you're at now..you're gonna be sorely disappointed coming down here and seeing the shambles of a transit network Charlotte has.
I have some disagreement with this...

Charlotte's transit is pretty good. Raleigh's is probably better overall, but Charlotte also has light rail. It's not Chicago but it's got good transit bones...

Speaking of not Chicago, it's way hyperbolic to call Charlotte crime outta control. As of this writing Charlotte has had 66 murders this year (murder rate of 7.35) compared to Chicago's 423 (murder rate of 15.87). Chicago is at minimum twice as violent as Charlotte; it's always been a Charlottean trait to characterize Charlotte's crime as "outta control". Definitely not...

For comparison Raleigh is at 20/4.19...

The M.I.C.

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I have some disagreement with this...

Charlotte's transit is pretty good. Raleigh's is probably better overall, but Charlotte also has light rail. It's not Chicago but it's got good transit bones...

Speaking of not Chicago, it's way hyperbolic to call Charlotte crime outta control. As of this writing Charlotte has had 66 murders this year (murder rate of 7.35) compared to Chicago's 423 (murder rate of 15.87). Chicago is at minimum twice as violent as Charlotte; it's always been a Charlottean trait to characterize Charlotte's crime as "outta control". Definitely not...

For comparison Raleigh is at 20/4.19...

I said what I said.

Born at Presbyterian Hospital on 6/26/1977 in Charlotte, NC.

Not hyperbolic since I'm a day one..not a transplant. I am a goddamn Tar Heel. Please don't come at me with that subliminal shyt trying to diminish my opinion which wasn't even addressed to you.

Last edited:

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
I don't give a fukk if you agree or not.

I was born and raised in Charlotte so fukk all them subtle ass jabs you tossing.

I said what the fukk I said and if you game enough to ask any REAL CHARLOTTE nikkaS the same question, they'll tell you the same shyt. Motherfick
Charlotte crime feels about the same to me. It’s actually probably lower than when I was in my early 20s :francis:

That said, car theft is up and charlotte’s crime is higher than Raleigh and probably in line with Durham, but for a big city it’s relatively low.

The M.I.C.

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Charlotte crime feels about the same to me. It’s actually probably lower than when I was in my early 20s :francis:

That said, car theft is up and charlotte’s crime is higher than Raleigh and probably in line with Durham, but for a big city it’s relatively low.

Had to edit that shyt..way off tee.

Had an argument off 74 with some Florida nikkas.

Funny you mentioned car theft, my sister's Kia got stolen last week. Kia boy shyt I guess..but I'm old. I remember shyt wasn't as off as it is back in the 90s and even the early 2000s.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
Had to edit that shyt..way off tee.

Had an argument off 74 with some Florida nikkas.

Funny you mentioned car theft, my sister's Kia got stolen last week. Kia boy shyt I guess..but I'm old. I remember shyt wasn't as off as it is back in the 90s and even the early 2000s.
I was about to cop a telluride and my brother was like, you might want to think about that again.

Saw all those thefts and that insurance quote :francis:

Edit: you ain’t wrong about nikkas wanting to crash out. :francis: