Charles Woods on Sydney Poitier and Blaxploitation

agnosticlady

AL loves da kids : )
Daps
Blacks prior to blaxploitation films, were portrayed as passive, docile, mammies, buffoons, etc, outside of a select few actors it seemed. You had Blacks that were in serious roles like Sydney, but for the most part they'd be relegated to sidekick status and what have you. While you still had some goofy black characters in blaxploitation films, they really gave the audience a chance to view films through a black perspective, in which the lead hero, heroes girl, sidekicks, were all black. Though the stereotypes of Black people exhibited with blaxploitation films has pigeonholed some black actors into certain roles, and has created designated tropes for Blacks in films, blaxploitation films have opened the door for certain Black mainstays in Hollywood. It's a double edged sword.

Blaxploitation films were used to degrade and normalize destructive behaviors in the black community. Probably one of the worst things to happen tbh

I feel as if it is a double edge sword like he said. I do feel like blackploitation films opened the door for black people who wanted to be more than maids, dummies, and submissive to whites. At the same time I am not a fan of the hypersexualization we are all pimps, hoes, and thugs. I do think that everyone deserves to have their story told whether you be a nerdy middle class black kid, or a black female stripper. The thing is that I wish there were way more variation. As black people, we are that - humans. Growing up the media made it seem like only whites were normal and have feelings. only whites did things like family night, had friends over, had innocent crushes, and etc. I also feel like as black people we rarely get to choose our heroes or role models. it's like they are picked and thrown at us, especially with the media working in overdrive. For instance, I don't believe that Kevin Heart is really that funny. I remember Dave Chapelle being the one that always had me dying with laughter. Yet somehow Kevin is pushed as the funniest black man to be currently. One can say the same with Beyonce. No I'm not knocking her at all, but there are plenty of talented black women that are beautiful and classy.

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
I can see why the govt would suppress it tho. Nowadays there wouldn't be a need... because what they feared, ain't likely now :snoop:

• Dap
Reactions: Meh

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
When it comes to race and cinema Night of the living dead(1968) often gets overlooked. Here you have a black leading man, which is also the hero of the film.

I totally forgot about this one...

I remember watching this one time, and being surprised they had a Black leading man in a film from the '60's.

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
Blacks prior to blaxploitation films, were portrayed as passive, docile, mammies, buffoons, etc, outside of a select few actors it seemed. You had Blacks that were in serious roles like Sydney, but for the most part they'd be relegated to sidekick status and what have you. While you still had some goofy black characters in blaxploitation films, they really gave the audience a chance to view films through a black perspective, in which the lead hero, heroes girl, sidekicks, were all black. Though the stereotypes of Black people exhibited with blaxploitation films has pigeonholed some black actors into certain roles, and has created designated tropes for Blacks in films, blaxploitation films have opened the door for certain Black mainstays in Hollywood. It's a double edged sword.
I really typed this....

Boy I fell off since then....

:beli: