Certifications/Licenses are more important than College Degrees

MMA

Superstar
Daps
I legit have a hard time believing this, but it may just be my vantage point. My automatic assumption was that the high starting salary reports were propaganda for the bootcamps themselves. Your average CS grad is starting at that outside of Silicon Valley and the Polytech/Ivy grads.
Nope, it's very true average bootcamp developer are making serious money. It's boring work to most people, the market is desperate for more employees.

I say this has a CS graduate who endlessly worked side by side with bootcamp developers on various projects

africngiant

All Star
Daps
where do you guys get these certs from? like linkedin courses? im looking at taking the 4 hour quickbooks and excel accounting courses even though i dont use quickbooks

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
The Degree game is dwindling down brehs

Before having a Bachelor's was the only thing required. A person could get a Bachelor in literally anything and could get a 70k job and a good career. I'm seeing more and more companies now caring for which licenses or certifications you got. Some wouldn't even give an interview without it

Got people in my family who are teachers and some with 20+ years experience. Can't even get a full time teaching job anymore unless they pass the Teacher's Certification test, and that test ain't easy :whew:

Now I'm seeing on job applications. It went from "Bachelor degree required" to "Bachelor Degree, or any relative experience and certs"

Computer/IT jobs won't hire unless you got those certs
Management jobs won't hire you unless you got that Six Sigma cert or PMP cert
Finance jobs want that Quickbooks cert or Series 7 license
Engineer jobs want that MatLab cert or MEP design cert
Welding Jobs want those AWS licenses
HVAC jobs want that EPA license
Office jobs they want you to be already trained in Excel, Powerpoint, Word, etc
Accounting jobs want that CPA license

Companies don't want to train anymore. You gotta come in with the required skill, or your resume getting deleted :mjpls:
Quickbooks is for small businesses. And you will likely be hired by them more quickly with a degree than just a cert.
Larger companies usually have their own custom ERP system, so having a quickbooks certification would mean little. A bachelors degree will open far more opportunities. Generally for finance the certification you want to have is being a Cerfitified Public Account. CPA. But that requires college.

Last edited: