Celia Cruz, the "Queen of Salsa," will be featured on U.S. quarter

LevelUp

Born To Mack
Daps
Celia Cruz, the "Queen of Salsa," will be featured on U.S. quarter

Salsa music icon Celia Cruz will be featured on the U.S. quarter, the U.S. Mint announced, as it unveiled new faces of women who will be on the 2024 coins. She is believed to be the first Afro Latina to be on the coin.

The "Queen of Salsa" was a Cuban American singer and one of the most popular Latin artists of the last century. The honor comes after a lifetime of achievements, including five Grammy awards and a National Medal of Arts

The U.S. Mint listed the other winners as: Patsy Takemoto Mink, the first woman of color to serve in Congress; Dr. Mary Edwards Walker, a Civli War-era surgeon and abolitionist who crossed battle lines to care for wounded soldiers and the only woman to be awarded the Medal of Honor; Pauli Murray, a civil rights activist considered to be one of the "most important social justice advocates in the 20th century" and Zitkala-Ša, an activist for Native Americans' right to U.S. citizenship.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It bothers me that they insist on referring to Celia Cruz as "Cuban-American" just because she was naturalized as a US Citizen.

Celia Cruz was born in Cuba. Her mother was Cuban. Her father was Cuban. She was raised in Cuba.

Nothing about her life, at all, was "American".

I'm not trying to be a jerk about this but everyone associates her with salsa music, Cuba, and famous Puerto Rican talent she worked with during her life (especially la Fania)

Edit - I'm a fan of Celia Cruz. She's a salsa legend. I'm just saying.

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
It bothers me that they insist on referring to Celia Cruz as "Cuban-American" just because she was naturalized as a US Citizen.

Celia Cruz was born in Cuba. Her mother was Cuban. Her father was Cuban. She was raised in Cuba.

I'm not trying to be a jerk about this but everyone associates her with salsa music, Cuba, and famous Puerto Rican talent she worked with during her life (especially la Fania)

Edit - I'm a fan of Celia Cruz. She's a salsa legend. I'm just saying.
She is being commemorated on AMERICAN currency, though. She was a hyphen American, as all immigrants who become citizens are.

Digital Omen

All Star
Daps

She came here in 1960 when she was 34, naturalized a few years later, never went back to Cuba (thanks Fidel), and died in New Jersey in 2003 at 77.
Fania was an American record label, founded in New York, and it was on that label that she became world famous

Be the American citizenship police brehs

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
If you don't speak Spanish, you would probably know her from this (cover) version of this record

*Funny backstory to this version of the song. The late Celia Cruz was one of the biggest stars in the world for decades.
Off the success of the Fugees second album, Clef put his solo project together incorporating bits and influences. He loved this song and wanted Ms. Cruz on the record. His management contacted hers.
She said
who-guardians-of-the-galaxy-gif.gif

YoungLegitimateFlicker-size_restricted.gif
or QUE?

and brushed him off. Her daughter (or granddaughter) was like .....No, he's from The Fugees, they are one of the hottest groups in the world right now.

She agreed to appear on the record because her daughter was a fan of the group,

Last edited: