Car companies stand to make billions by charging you monthly fees for add-on features like heated se

trapnerd

All Star
Daps
They are taking a page out of Tesla's book.
No apple / android connection means they can hide connected features behind a paywall. Want traffic on the maps? Want to use spotify / apple music without connecting to bluettoth???? You have to pay.

It's interesting because Honda is building EV's on GMs platform, but offers carplay / android auto.

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Listen...my 2014 328xi stopped being able to connect to the Internet because BMW doesn't utilize AT&Ts 3G Network anymore.

And my shyt wasn't eligible for the 4G Modem Upgrade

I bought the BimmerTech aftermarket shyt and had it installed.

Now I have Android Auto/Apple Carplay and I can stream to the display console and if my phone got Internet, the car has Internet.

The End.

These car companies can fukk around if they want to

Actually6Foot3

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
BKNY
I mean we have a similar dynamic with onstar in chevys . Even if you buy a cvhevy from 2009 tommorow morining, you'd still need to subscribe to use onstar. And the infrastructure for it still exists nearly 15 years later for that 2009 chevy.
He's probably talking about hardware subscriptions (heated seats, remote start, heated steering wheel) not software (navigation, self driving, etc) . And he's right. I be pissed if I bought a 10 year old car and have to hit up the manufacturer for a monthly subscription to turn on my heated seats knowing full well the car is fully capable of doing it with the flip of a switch.

Schadenfreude

All Star
Daps
So.. for anyone who has a Toyota or a Lexus with the app for remote start, let me put you on game real quick:

The module that's used for remote start is installed on every single car that's built unless it's a bare bones base model with zero options (extremely rare to find those these days). You can still use the key fob for remote start, you just need to know the buttons to use and the button sequence for the remote start to work.

DJ Paul's Arm

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Cali
This is the reason why I bought a brand new 2004 Honda accord coupe and kept it in the garage like it was a classic. I knew tech would evolve in some futuristic shyt and needed something “analog” just in case some solar storm happened and knocked out the tech in the vehicle.

Welp looks like my decision was a good one because fukk these smart phones on wheels.

Bubba T

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Subscriptions to features already installed in the car you bought is crazy to me. Your car might as well be a hotel on wheels with the nickel and dime tactics.

MR. SNIFLES

**** YOU THUNDAAAAAAAAAAH
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
THUNDER BUDDIES
This will flop. People aren’t paying top dollar for vehicles for basic features to be behind a pay wall.

PEOPLE ARE PAYING $800 A YEAR FOR SELF DRIVING FEATURES, $80 A YEAR FOR NAVIGATION, AND ANOTHER $15 JUST TO STREAM MOVIES ON THE INFOTAINMENT SCREEN. PEOPLE ARE DOING IT IN MASS NUMBERS.

CONSUMERS CREATED THIS. AUTOMAKERS ARE JUST ADJUSTING TO MARKET CONDITIONS. :manny:

bnew

Veteran
Daps

BMW Is Giving Up on Heated Seat Subscriptions Because People Hated Them​

The blowback worked—but subscriptions for software-based new car features will continue, according to a BMW board member.

BYNICO DEMATTIA|UPDATED SEP 7, 2023 3:35 PM EDT
NEWS
BMW News photo

BMW

NICO DEMATTIA
View Nico Demattia's Articles
NicoDeMattia

Last year, BMW underwent media and customer hellfire over its decision to offer a monthly subscription for heated seats. While seat heating wasn't the only option available for subscription, it was the one that seemed to infuriate everyone the most, since it concerned hardware already present in the car from the factory. After months of customers continuously expressing their displeasure with the plan, BMW has finally decided to abandon recurring charges for hardware-based functions.

"What we don’t do any more—and that is a very well-known example—is offer seat heating by [monthly subscriptions]" BMW marketing boss Pieter Nota said to Autocar. "It’s either in or out. We offer it by the factory and you either have it or you don’t have it."

BMW's move wasn't solely about charging customers monthly for heated seats. Rather, the luxury automaker wanted to streamline production and reduce costs there by physically installing heated seats in every single car, since 90% of all BMWs are bought with seat heaters anyway. Then, owners who didn't spec heated seats from the factory could digitally unlock them later with either a monthly subscription or a one-time perma-buy option. Nota still believes it was a good idea.
BMW News photo

BMW

"We thought that we would provide an extra service to the customer by offering the chance to activate that later, but the user acceptance isn’t that high. People feel that they paid double, which was actually not true, but perception is reality, I always say. So that was the reason we stopped that," Nota told Autocar.

That's one perspective; another is that BMW was absolutely double dipping with heated seat subscriptions. The company started down that route to reduce production costs, making each car cheaper to build by streamlining the process. Fair enough. However, those reduced costs weren't then passed down to buyers via lower MSRPs. Customers were technically paying for those heated seats anyway, no matter whether they wanted them. Then, BMW was not only charging extra to use a feature already installed in the car, but also subjecting it to subscription billing, even though seat heating is static hardware not designed to change or improve over time.

Customers weren't happy, and rightfully made their grievance known. While it's good that BMW ultimately buckled to the public's wishes here, it doesn't seem like the automaker's board members truly understand why the outrage happened in the first place.

Going forward, BMW says it will continue to offer subscription-based services but only for software options, like driver assistance and digital assistant services, which is completely understandable. Customers will either pay monthly or once all up front to gain access to such capabilities. Thankfully, though, BMW seems finished with any hardware-based subscriptions, for now.

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
Paying a monthly fee just to unlock my car door.

About to be pulling up to places like
stone-car-driving.gif