Can someone explain to me why Pokémon is such a big deal?

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I’ve never played one before and the whole Pokémon phenomenon missed me when I was a kid so I’m still not sure why it’s such a big deal decades later.

From my understanding, it’s a game where you capture monsters and fight other monsters with the ones you’ve captured, is that it? How is it so popular? I can understand kids being into it but you’ve got millions of grown adults really into this shyt. What’s the reason?

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I'm, cuz I don't get it either. I'm not sure either man. I was very mildly into it in my youth and had like one of the Gameboy games, but it wasn't ever all that serious to me. So I couldn't tell you.

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
the adults that are into it are the kids who loved it when it came out
you catch and battle with the pokemon you can catch
The monsters range from cute to cool and it was family friendly looking enough to catch on
then they did an exceptional job with the franchising. Making cards and a tv show related to the game to capture on the hype of the game
this and much more makes it the most profitable ip of all time

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
the adults that are into it are the kids who loved it when it came out
you catch and battle with the pokemon you can catch
The monsters range from cute to cool and it was family friendly looking enough to catch on
then they did an exceptional job with the franchising. Making cards and a tv show related to the game to capture on the hype of the game
this and much more makes it the most profitable ip of all time

Close thread

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I’ve never played one before and the whole Pokémon phenomenon missed me when I was a kid so I’m still not sure why it’s such a big deal decades later.

From my understanding, it’s a game where you capture monsters and fight other monsters with the ones you’ve captured, is that it? How is it so popular? I can understand kids being into it but you’ve got millions of grown adults really into this shyt. What’s the reason?
Sounds like you're sure of why it's a big deal. People grew up playing it and return to it. You didn't grow up playing it so it doesn't apply.

It's a team based competitive multiplayer strategy game. The metagame of Pokemon is more advanced than most kids get into. It absolutely is for adults there. Most kids aren't IV training Pokemon they just play the surface level game and keep it moving.