Can someone explain the point of NFTs?

TL15

Veteran
Daps
I think the creators of NFTs are just getting over on smart dumb nikkas who want to "get in early"

the early adaptors won’t get fycked though

it’ll be third/fourth/fifth wave investors and beyond

A friend of mine got in a raffle and got the rights to buy a Buzz Lightyear NFT from Disney for $60

posted that she had it and had offers for over $1000 the next day.

If she holds onto it she’ll flip it for 10s of thousands in a few years, that person MIGHT flip it for more. The third and fourth person who buy it are the ones gonna get left holding the bag :francis:

Chef

All Star
Daps
Out of curiosity, let’s say I bought one of those helmets Ubisoft is selling for Ghost Recon. If Ubisoft shuts down the server somewhere down the line, do I get fukked over?

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
I'm done teaching the coli old heads on nft's they're just going to have to let the next revenue wave pass them by :yeshrug:
internet_bah_t440.jpg

Uitomy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Anxiety attacks and sugar cookies
Out of curiosity, let’s say I bought one of those helmets Ubisoft is selling for Ghost Recon. If Ubisoft shuts down the server somewhere down the line, do I get fukked over?
Youre not supposed to if they genuinely made an nft that you could store in your wallet.

Now the price of it could crash and fukk you over

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I'll be honest, I haven't done much digging into Ubisoft's implementation of this, but I'm assuming that if you buy an Ubisoft NFT (skin, accessory or wearable item etc) you probably will be able to use it in other Ubisoft titles/worlds if they are compatible.

You would be correct tho, you probably wouldn't be able to rock that helmet in say... an Activision space or EPIC's Fortnite. Or an Ubisoft game that they don't support any longer, but in their new releases and worlds where the have NFTs integrated, you'll probably have all your stuff available with you.

Last edited:

Chef

All Star
Daps
:snoop:

I cannot believe gamers don't understand the concept of NFTs. You all have been buying and collecting digital assets for over a decade now, how don't you "get it"? It's DLC basically.

With loot boxes, roadmaps, battle pass, etc. I think people are just fatigued and see it as another cash grab. We barely get games working on launch day.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
With loot boxes, roadmaps, battle pass, etc. I think people are just fatigued and see it as another cash grab. We barely get games working on launch day.
None of that stuff holds any value. What can you do with anything you get from a loot box in a game after you turn the game off?

People spend money for in-game clout right now on things that are worthless. NFTs are items people literally own and have value outside of a video game.

Chef

All Star
Daps
None of that stuff holds any value. What can you do with anything you get from a loot box in a game after you turn the game off?

People spend money for in-game clout right now on things that are worthless. NFTs are items people literally own and have value outside of a video game.

Thank you for the clarification. It’s very confusing because all you see associated with NFTs is mediocre art.

I guess it boils down to how it’s integrated. I’m personally hesitant because Ubisoft isn’t the best company in the world when it comes to MTX and game design(You need 600+ hours played to earn the item which is wild) and this gives me Diablo 3 AH vibes which was not fun.

I don’t buy a lot of cosmetics for the games I play which are mostly Military/Tactical FPS. They either break immersion(Warzone) and the most I see is your character’s arms and guns nine times of of ten.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
:snoop:

I cannot believe gamers don't understand the concept of NFTs. You all have been buying and collecting digital assets for over a decade now, how don't you "get it"? It's DLC basically.
I'm talking about in relation to the subjects of this forum. How does Ubisoft benefit from selling limited edition DLCs that their users can resell without them cutting them out of the chain?
They already sell DLC now and control it on their account system not a public block chain.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Thank you for the clarification. It’s very confusing because all you see associated with NFTs is mediocre art.

I guess it boils down to how it’s integrated. I’m personally hesitant because Ubisoft isn’t the best company in the world when it comes to MTX and game design(You need 600+ hours played to earn the item which is wild) and this gives me Diablo 3 AH vibes which was not fun.

I don’t buy a lot of cosmetics for the games I play which are mostly Military/Tactical FPS. They either break immersion(Warzone) and the most I see is your character’s arms and guns nine times of of ten.
There's going to be a different genre of games that are 'Play-to-Earn' that will have this stuff integrated throughout. Right now, there is a shift coming with the internet and content... this is why Facebook changed their entire company's name to Meta, essentially proclaiming they are going all in on the metaverse. This all is connected to where gaming is headed, but in a lot of ways, gamers have an advantage in understanding this stuff because we've already been in it HEAVY.

NFTs will be more than jpg art (I agree that a lot of the shyt is useless), but when you think about how brands and partnerships will begin to mesh physical items and digital ones, it's easy to see how things will be IMO. There will be things we buy that are physical items, for example, sneakers that come with a digital copy (NFT) that can only acquired by purchasing the physical version. When you're walking around in Zuckerberg's metaverse and see someone with something, automatically, you'll be like, "Oh he copped those shoes, that's how he got that".

There's going to be an on going battle between centralized metaverses (Facebook, Microsoft, Ubisoft, EPIC, Roblox) and decentralized metaverses (Decentraland, SandBox and so many we don't know of yet). The gaming industry is used to a centralized way of working, so true NFTs that allow users to sell them to whomever may not be in the cards depending on the company behind it honestly... I see Ubisoft and these other big publishers trying to make their own ecosystems that have their own markets for things. It'll be interesting to see what happens when we have AAA level games made outside of the traditional pipeline... where people have that level of immersion that you're referring to, and the collectibles and accolades they attain in the games can then be sold/traded for assets that hold actual value. Scary hours...

I'm talking about in relation to the subjects of this forum. How does Ubisoft benefit from selling limited edition DLCs that their users can resell without them cutting them out of the chain?
They already sell DLC now and control it on their account system not a public block chain.

Well, they wouldn't be cutting themselves out that's the thing. With an NFT, the creator of it can put how much in royalties they will get for the existence of it. So if they wanted to, they would make a percentage of every sale. If someone sells their Rainbow Six Seige or Fortnite account right now to someone else with all of the DLC, skins etc with it, how much does Ubisoft or EPIC get from that sale?

Nothing.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
There's going to be a different genre of games that are 'Play-to-Earn' that will have this stuff integrated throughout. Right now, there is a shift coming with the internet and content... this is why Facebook changed their entire company's name to Meta, essentially proclaiming they are going all in on the metaverse. This all is connected to where gaming is headed, but in a lot of ways, gamers have an advantage in understanding this stuff because we've already been in it HEAVY.

NFTs will be more than jpg art (I agree that a lot of the shyt is useless), but when you think about how brands and partnerships will begin to mesh physical items and digital ones, it's easy to see how things will be IMO. There will be things we buy that are physical items, for example, sneakers that come with a digital copy (NFT) that can only acquired by purchasing the physical version. When you're walking around in Zuckerberg's metaverse and see someone with something, automatically, you'll be like, "Oh he copped those shoes, that's how he got that".

There's going to be an on going battle between centralized metaverses (Facebook, Microsoft, Ubisoft, EPIC, Roblox) and decentralized metaverses (Decentraland, SandBox and so many we don't know of yet). The gaming industry is used to a centralized way of working, so true NFTs that allow users to sell them to whomever may not be in the cards depending on the company behind it honestly... I see Ubisoft and these other big publishers trying to make their own ecosystems that have their own markets for things. It'll be interesting to see what happens when we have AAA level games made outside of the traditional pipeline... where people have that level of immersion that you're referring to, and the collectibles and accolades they attain in the games can then be sold/traded for assets that hold actual value. Scary hours...

Well, they wouldn't be cutting themselves out that's the thing. With an NFT, the creator of it can put how much in royalties they will get for the existence of it. So if they wanted to, they would make a percentage of every sale. If someone sells their Rainbow Six Seige or Fortnite account right now to someone else with all of the DLC, skins etc with it, how much does Ubisoft or EPIC get from that sale?

Nothing.
If the ownership exist outside their account system then can't people just sell offline then transfer ownership? It's like if I sell you a cell phone and you hand me the cash I hand you the phone. The government can't even prove that sell went down to try and collect tax on it.