Can I still weight lift if I can't do push-ups?

Apex

Banned
Daps
I know I'm going to sound weak, but I just can't do push-ups. Does this really matter? Can't I just weight-lift and cardio anyway?

At30wecashout

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yes, you can weightlift. Things don't happen in a vacuum with regards to weightlifting. Much like bench press helps improve your push-up by strengthening the related muscle groups, and the other way around, any compound movement will hit your major muscle groups and stabilizers. Weighted squats will help your push-up, for instance, because a weaker person would likely have a weaker core, causing a dip when they do push-ups, giving them back pain f they hold that position for any real length of time.

You could do overhead press with dumbells for a few weeks and see an improvement in push-up and bench press, even if they don't feel like the same movement.

Last edited:

Apex

Banned
Daps
Have you tried modified push ups like some women do it?

The kind where youre on your knees instead of on your toes. Should help relieve some of the weight until you get strong enough to do regular push ups.
Yeah, I can definitely do that.

Jeepz

Lay off the salt
Daps
Do negative push ups... this is how I got my girl from 0 to 10 and beyond.

This actually works for ALL exercises... pull ups, trying to get your bench weight up, etc.

MJ Freedom

All Star
Daps
Just stick with it, lil' homey, and don't be ashamed... everybody's gotta start somewhere.

WaveGang

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They say the best thing to do before lifting weights, is master your own bodyweight first, this means being able to do pushups and pullups fairly easy before you pick up the weights.

:trash:

I couldn't do 2 full push up without failure, couldn't even lift myself up on a pull up bad and could barely do 2 dips. In the space of a 1/2 months using just protein shake I could do 4x10 pull ups and 4x12 dips respectively

The only way you're gonna build muscles in other areas which help you achieve full reps is by lifting like a mad man.