Can an offseason work in WWE/AEW?

JasoRockStar

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Charleston, SC
I was thinking about the time I read Brock Lesnar's book and got to the part where he was talking about how the time on the road was killing him. I know everybody else on that roster feel the same way, but the bread and exposure helps them cope with it. The folks in WWE just got a full week for Christmas for the first time ever. Before that, Vince made their asses wrestle and called it a Christmas special. This industry is taxing on the body, especially considering a lot of these folks have extensive indie experience, so I'm wondering if some type of off-season concept could work in WWE or AEW.

Maybe like half of the wrestlers take time off at one point in the year and the other half take it later in the year. We ain't had Roman, Seth or Punk for months and the train's kept on going. You already don't some MFs on AEW for weeks or months at a time anyways, so :manny: might as well call it an offseason

If the big stars can take time off with no huge regression, then the other ones can too.

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
Offseason doesn't seem like the correct term especially in relation to other sports. But do agree that wrestlers should take small breaks each year in rotation. Can't have all the big stars out at the same time but certain ones after each of the 4 major PLEs could work.

White City Black

Ol’ Basquiat head ass
Daps
Reppin
Chicago's South Shore
There won't be a true offseason in wrestling like there is in NFL, NBA, etc. because the TV contracts require them to have weekly programming. Also, with both companies, there's enough people on them to rotate people and use injury angles to give people breaks.
There’s your “offseason” right there

Give some cats a chance to decompress, rest up, return fresh and as a part of a new angle

Meanwhile give others a chance to step up and gain exposure

No complaints of WWE or AEW having deep rosters if these companies went this route

JasoRockStar

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Charleston, SC
There won't be a true offseason in wrestling like there is in NFL, NBA, etc. because the TV contracts require them to have weekly programming. Also, with both companies, there's enough people on them to rotate people and use injury angles to give people breaks.
Yeah, I was thinking like two months out of the year to relax and heal, but you're right those contracts kinda prevent that.

Reality Check

Keepin' it 100
Daps
Yeah, I was thinking like two months out of the year to relax and heal, but you're right those contracts kinda prevent that.

As always, this comes from Meltzer so take it for what it's worth, but the contracts in 2020 with both Fox and NBCU required 52 weeks a year programming with a max of 3 taped episodes.

Contracts with both NBC Universal and Fox call for a certain number of shows per year that can be taped. For Raw, that number is three which, at the start of the year, was earmarked for one show over Christmas week and two shows during European tours. In theory, that would leave them with 49 live Raws. Fox has a similar deal.

WWE to resume live Raw, SmackDown & NXT TV shows