Caitlyn Clark vs Angel Reese draws 2.25 Million Viewers; Highest WNBA audience in 23 years

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Barkley spoke on this a couple weeks ago. Said when he was playing early on all the players would be happy as hell when someone got paid or got hot with the media because they knew it meant they would also get paid more. Said he don't understand why the WNBA players don't understand that.

Charles is a fat ass liar with all due respect. The same guys who hate til this day over something that happened 20 years ago,wasnt hating in real time:mjlol:?

Yall just forgot what competetive looked like befause of how soft the nba has became:francis:

Bigwhite2498

Rookie
Daps
Charles is a fat ass liar with all due respect. The same guys who hate til this day over something that happened 20 years ago,wasnt hating in real time:mjlol:?

Yall just forgot what competetive looked like befause of how soft the nba has became:francis:
Exactly I said the same thing the lengths the going to just to uplift this white girl is insane

Guess Who

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is why I said in some random thread last year is that WNBA was failing mostly because they were shytty at promoting the product. This “rivalry” has been great promotion for the league and now people can see that the actual product is way better than they probably thought it was. A fair amount of viewers who tuned in for the drama will stick around for the actual sport now. Hopefully teams start turning a profit in the next decade or so.

Guess Who

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
women are jealous
I think it’s because the players know that Clark is getting attention because she’s white. These others players who are dope af on the court should have been getting praise for years but they ain’t the right complexion. I’d be annoyed about it too. But I’d definitely handle it differently.

Daps
Reppin
Eagle, Colorado
I think it’s because the players know that Clark is getting attention because she’s white. These others players who are dope af on the court should have been getting praise for years but they ain’t the right complexion. I’d be annoyed about it too. But I’d definitely handle it differently.
I don't think its just because she's white. What about Diana Taurausi, Sue Bird, Rebecca Lobo, Donne? All these women were white and didn't have the same hype Clark does.

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM

It's not simply because she is white. Plenty of other great white players have come through.

Part of it is because she took a team like Iowa and damn near single handily won a title with them, twice. She wasn't on a stacked UCONN team so it was easy for the country to get behind her.

If she is on UCONN none of this story happens.

Last edited:

Guess Who

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's not simply because she is white. Plenty of other great white players have come through.

Part of it is because she took a team like Iowa and damn near single handily won a title with them, twice. She wasn't on a stacked UCONN team so it was easy for the country to get behind her.

If she is on UCONN none of this story happens.
Of course that’s part of it. She’s white AND was really good in college. She can rival the Black girls. White people love that shyt. It’s disingenuous to say otherwise. Multiple white players/coaches current in the W have stated the same. It’s not there haven’t been dynamic Black players who have done great things with the personality to match before. Why didn’t they get hyped up the same way CC is? That’s why CC is getting the negative blowback she has.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Of course that’s part of it. She’s white AND was really good in college. She can rival the Black girls. White people love that shyt. It’s disingenuous to say otherwise. Multiple white players/coaches current in the W have stated the same. It’s not there haven’t been dynamic Black players who have done great things with the personality to match before. Why didn’t they get hyped up the same way CC is? That’s why CC is getting the negative blowback she has.

white
great college player who dominated without a loaded team
Very Steph Curry like in her play (large reason she's popular as well)
Middle American Born and Bred
Heterosexual (the elephant no one wants to address)

People forget that cacs outnumber us 5 to 1 in America. It is what it is. The money and endorsements that she's getting/got was based on the above. Many don't like it and are in their feelings, but they shouldn't be. But you know how women can be.

They don't need to take it easy on her and I think she'll be fine when its all said and done. 3 weeks between the end of college and WNBA training camp is extreme. These draftees ain't got no rest. LMAO. They're all getting better and the Fever are starting to play better.

My Caitlin agenda is going better than expected :scheme: , but yeah, Angel is pulling em in too. Maybe not to the extent of Bawse Pawg, but the numbers show people wanna see her as well. As far as the rest of these old bulldaggers and broke hoes nobody wanna see and give you endorsemetns for....stay mad :camby:

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Eagle, Colorado
I don't believe that anyone thinks that Caitlin Clark being white has nothing to do with the fanfare. It just isn't the only reason. Because the WNBA has had a plethora of white women who could absolutely hoop (post-2006 included when twitter launched and Facebook opened io to everyone).

What I haven't really seen explored is how the negative reaction to Clark (who seems to have really been avoiding weighing in on all this) has created a self-fulfilling prophecy. People that would just otherwise be content to shyt on Clark if she was functioning as the face of the WNBA players should be paid more movement are instead vociferously defending her because she's been cast opposite Angel Reese. Similarly people (black feminist twitter specifically to the extent that its a useful descriptior) that don't give a shyt about WNBA were more than happy to draft Angel Reese as their grievance warrior (a role she seems all to happy to play).

When the reality is neither of them have been incredible and neither are probably deserving of the level of attention. The idea that players complaining about Clark is going to fumble some imaginary bag is farcical. Its that criticism that's getting more people to tune in.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Similarly people (black feminist twitter specifically to the extent that its a useful descriptior) that don't give a shyt about WNBA were more than happy to draft Angel Reese as their grievance warrior (a role she seems all to happy to play).

You see it. And yeah Angel is enjoying it.lol
When the reality is neither of them have been incredible and neither are probably deserving of the level of attention. The idea that players complaining about Clark is going to fumble some imaginary bag is farcical. Its that criticism that's getting more people to tune in.
Umm hmmmm

Guess Who

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
white
great college player who dominated without a loaded team
Very Steph Curry like in her play (large reason she's popular as well)
Middle American Born and Bred
Heterosexual (the elephant no one wants to address)

People forget that cacs outnumber us 5 to 1 in America. It is what it is. The money and endorsements that she's getting/got was based on the above. Many don't like it and are in their feelings, but they shouldn't be. But you know how women can be.

They don't need to take it easy on her and I think she'll be fine when its all said and done. 3 weeks between the end of college and WNBA training camp is extreme. These draftees ain't got no rest. LMAO. They're all getting better and the Fever are starting to play better.

My Caitlin agenda is going better than expected :scheme: , but yeah, Angel is pulling em in too. Maybe not to the extent of Bawse Pawg, but the numbers show people wanna see her as well. As far as the rest of these old bulldaggers and broke hoes nobody wanna see and give you endorsemetns for....stay mad :camby:
What I’m saying is that CC is very marketable…but there have been marketable Black players in the past who didn’t get this kind of attention or generate this level of interest. It’s not to take anything away from CC’s ability or on court personality, her story or mystique…but if she were a Black woken do you think the narrative around her would be what it is? Would she be receiving the same kind of attention?

I think the other piece is that talented Black women, generally speaking, have constantly been overlooked in favour of their white peers in so many contexts from career to relationships etc. If you talk to Black women about what it’s like to be a Black woman, there is a collective insecurity that they often feel because of how they’re treated juxtaposed to how white women are treated. Black women are put down all the time for not being as feminine, beautiful, easy going, professional, having as much grace etc. as white women. It’s very pervasive. And it’s a difficult thing for a lot of Black women to experience day after day. So of course those insecurities are going to manifest when a white woman comes in and is getting all sorts of love that they wish they’d be able to get, to have access and a narrative they wish they’d be able to have. Black women are already told day after day that they aren’t good enough compared to their white peers. So yeah that imo is a big part of the backlash against CC. It has nothing to do with CC herself, but more about the social climate of racism and the mental construction of what Black women represent in America that CC doesn’t.

That’s why I think saying it’s just women being jealous is dismissive and sexist. It’s way deeper than that.