buying a new computer. should i get more ram or ssd?

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
serious question. school me. What would someone buy for casual use if you want it to last and you hate pop-ups and antivirus software sending false alarms all day? I had an acer that shyt the bed a year after I bought it. I had a hp i bought and it lasted 3 years 2003-2006. I've owned 2 MacBook pro's since 2008 and they still turn on. The 2008 is frustrating as hell to use so I don't but my 2013 is doing fine except i'm gonna have to replace the battery soon. Maybe I might cop one for my mom. Her 2010 MacBook is in bad shape and she's not gonna replace it.
A decent windows machine.
The problem I usually see with people is they compare a $1,000 Mac to a $300 windows laptop and say “You see! Windows sucks”
I’m 100% a Mac guy, but that’s because I’m a full time videographer and I use Final Cut Pro. I also have a recording studio and I use Logic Pro, and pro tools in my experience is more stable on Mac.
If it wasn’t for those things I’d be on a windows machine. Apple products are grossly overpriced and anti consumer. There’s no pro consumer explanation for why they would solder ram onto a mother board. Apples greed continues to pay off and as long as casual people keep buying their products because of the ignorance that all windows machines suck. It’s just not the case.
Case in point, people buy an apple machine and a few years later they want to upgrade...what do they have to do? But an entire new machine. If you’re upgrading ram and ssd, that means you’re on an old MacBook, and in that case, you still cant update the processor. Your just putting a bandaid on the situation.
If you don’t need Final Cut, logic, or any other apple specific software, you should get a windows machine. Dollar for dollar, you’d get a MUCH more powerful and user UPGRADEABLE machine if you went with Windows.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
There's no reason in 2019 not to buy a surface

Surface with the same specs as MacBook is the same price. You still need the keyboard , the pencil etc . It’s just a glorified iPad that can run windows.

I did a lot of research between Mac and windows laptop. It all comes to the same price save a couple hundred depending on the specs. The major thing MacBooks got is that their resale price are extreme high despite plus the usability. The trackpad and battery life shyts on windows pc. My MacBook pro can still do 5+ hours of battery use and that’s after 3 years of use. Windows batteries would need to be replaced by the 3rd year mark. On top of that Windows laptops lose their value quickly. I can still get close to $8-900 on my MacBook but I’m giving it to my brother.

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
so i'm thinking of buying the new macbook. I currently have the 13" 2015 pro but it's getting sluggish and battery is dying as well.

i'm looking at the new macbook pros and debating between increasing the ram to 16gb or going with the 256 ssd drive.

I want the macbook to last me at least 5+ years. I only use the macbook for casual use and nothing else. Day to day web browsing, youtube, chrome etc. I'm looking at the space on my macbook and i've used about 70gb of the ssd, with majority being my iphone backup and photos. I also have icloud online backup.

So should i stay with the base mode 8/128gb ssd. or upgrade the ram or the ssd. it's about $200 for each upgrade. I'm leaning towards the 16gb ram over the ssd as i don't much use much space and i can always use an external harddrive/ usb drives.
Replace the hard drive with an ssd for the 2015, don't know if that one is soldered in or not, you can also go on owc and get a battery to replace it.
If you are looking at a new one then the ssd will make the biggest difference 8gb is fine for everyday use, unless you are video editing, then get 16gb. Get the 256 SSD or even the 500gb, 128 is too small imo.

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
A decent windows machine.
The problem I usually see with people is they compare a $1,000 Mac to a $300 windows laptop and say “You see! Windows sucks”
I’m 100% a Mac guy, but that’s because I’m a full time videographer and I use Final Cut Pro. I also have a recording studio and I use Logic Pro, and pro tools in my experience is more stable on Mac.
If it wasn’t for those things I’d be on a windows machine. Apple products are grossly overpriced and anti consumer. There’s no pro consumer explanation for why they would solder ram onto a mother board. Apples greed continues to pay off and as long as casual people keep buying their products because of the ignorance that all windows machines suck. It’s just not the case.
Case in point, people buy an apple machine and a few years later they want to upgrade...what do they have to do? But an entire new machine. If you’re upgrading ram and ssd, that means you’re on an old MacBook, and in that case, you still cant update the processor. Your just putting a bandaid on the situation.
If you don’t need Final Cut, logic, or any other apple specific software, you should get a windows machine. Dollar for dollar, you’d get a MUCH more powerful and user UPGRADEABLE machine if you went with Windows.
Top of the line windows machines do the same or make it a bytch to replace, just how the industry is heading unfortunately