[Business Insider] Microsoft is building an ad program that will let brands advertise in Xbox

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
The future of gaming everyone :francis:

Microsoft is building an ad program that will let brands advertise in Xbox games

Microsoft wants to let advertisers place ads inside free-to-play Xbox games, and it is currently identifying adtech companies who can create the in-game inventory and work with ad agencies to place the ads, said two people who are involved in the talks.

This new program will boost Xbox's limited ad inventory by adding more games that brands can advertise in and by allowing more developers to sell ad space.

Those sources said those ads would show up as, for instance, digitally rendered billboards in a car racing game. Insider was unable to learn if Xbox will also offer other types of in-game ad units, like avatar skins or video ads that play in gaming lobbies. Insider was also unable to determine if Microsoft has pitched the Xbox offering to advertisers yet.

Insider's sources expect this capability to be live by the third quarter.

Microsoft did not confirm these plans. A spokesperson said,"We are always looking for ways to improve the experience for players and developers but we don't have anything further to share."

The xbox stans on here trying to ignore it, unfortunately. I guess this is what they mean when they say microsoft is competing with google and amazon, not playstation and nintendo:francis:

Last edited:

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
trash-computer.gif

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
nothing new about billboard ads in racing games. I think EA Skate had that shyt too

Umoja

Veteran
Daps
My greater concern is how this will shape games going forward.

In an of itself, I don't care if companies choose to pay money to advertise their product so long as it fits into the immersion of the game e.g. ads on a billboard.

Sadly it won't stop there. My expectation is that the more companies see it is a means of making money is the more they'll push for games to be designed in a way that allows for product placement.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
They trying to make it like mobile gaming. :scust:

That shyt sucks on phones…can’t stand that shyt:hhh:

I remember downloading Angry Birds a couple years back just cause i was feeling nostalgic, i use to play the shyt out that game when it was hot. They filled that game up with so many ads and timers it wasn’t even worth keeping installed.

I haven’t downloaded a mobile game since. Just not worth it anymore. Slowly but surely console games will become more and more like mobile games, they make too much money to ignore implementing it into console gaming.

Subscriptions, MTX, F2P, now Ads….its getting spooky

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park

Everything is a slippery slope to some degree. We monetize water, a resource that covers 75% of this planet. Gamers, by far and large, will repudiate games that go too far. What is too far? I don't know but if we see Home Depot or Amazon ads on Call of Duty or Starfield characters, then we have jumped the shark. I don't think we'll get there.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Everything is a slippery slope to some degree. We monetize water, a resource that covers 75% of this planet. Gamers, by far and large, will repudiate games that go too far. What is too far? I don't know but if we see Home Depot or Amazon ads on Call of Duty or Starfield characters, then we have jumped the shark. I don't think we'll get there.
Feel ya but the water analogy always annoyed me.

Cleaning the water cost money