Bully Ray Says Who AEW Should Push More. Spoiler Alert, He's 100% Right!

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
MJF and Adam Cole beat Big Bill and Brian Cage in the Blind Tag Team Eliminator Tournament on last night’s AEW Dynamite, and Bully Ray had some criticism about the match. Bully talked about the match on the latest episode of Busted Open Radio, and you can see some highlights below (per Wrestling Inc):

On the comedy spots in the match: “Overall, I thought last night’s show was good. There were a lot of fun things on the show, but there were a couple of things that, to me, did not make sense. It’s not even the refereeing stuff, it’s [the] psychology of a match. It’s actually the MJF-Adam Cole match… “So it is supposed to be a serious match, right? Because it is part of a tournament that obviously MJF wants to win real bad, because MJF and Cole winning helps lure Cole in a lot more with MJF… I felt that there should have been a bit more … seriousness on the front end. Right off the bat, we get MJF going in for the body slam, and then really doing that hokey sell of his back. I believed that the first half of the match felt like a house show match to me.”

On how Big Bill & Brian Cage were presented: “In a situation like this, where you’re going to put your opponents over so clean, there should be a little bit of protection for a guy who looks like the next coming of Arnold Schwarzenegger, and a guy who’s seven feet tall and you can’t teach that. There’s a spot in the middle of the match, towards the beginning of the comeback, where MJF and Big Bill are face-to-face, and Big Bill starts taking steps backwards as if MJF is backing him down,” Bully said. The former WWE star stated that moment just wasn’t believable for him, and it got worse from there.

On MJF’s lack of selling: “I put MJF over on this show 99% of the time we talk [about] him, and across the board, I probably blow more smoke up MJF’s a** than anybody else on this show that we talk about. But come on — you gotta bump for the big man. There’s no reason why you can’t take that bump, register it, sell it, and then get up in that fighting spirit way.” Following that, Bully feels that the match continued progressing off the rails. And then we get a biting of the finger, and a body slam, because they’re trying to pay off the body slam. A little hokey, but I’m sure they could’ve done it in a way that would’ve gotten a response where they’re like, ‘Holy s**t, MJF did it!’ as opposed to, ‘Ha ha ha, MJF did it.'”

“And then we get to the actual finish with Brian Cage. And Brian Cage just takes a move from one guy, a move from another guy, and then gets pinned. Brian Cage is a monster. There’s a way to protect him. This was a perfect opportunity for the proverbial misdirection spot.”

On AEW not investing in big men: “AEW is not a big man company. Tony Khan does not invest in big men, period. End of sentence. His company, his choice to do so. Every once in a while, yes, a … big man gets a little taste of something, but they don’t really focus on anybody. If it’s up to me, I’m focusing on Powerhouse Hobbs. I’m putting as much shine and spotlight on Powerhouse Hobbs as I am Moxley or CM Punk. Because he is an up-and-coming talent, [he] looks the part, is doing a better job speaking the part.”

julesocean

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I didn't have a problem with that match for the most part. The whole angle is them learning to appreciate and work with each other, and part of MJF as face is him leaning on some comedy to pull some fans from booing him before the eventual turn on Cole.

Say what you want about Cage and Bill talent/potential (I don't rate Cage as anything, we've seen him in proper pushes at the beginning his AEW career and nothing special), but they are currently booked like lower carders, it's not like they were receiving considerable pushes coming into this.

The big bodyslam spot was MJF putting over that it's so hard to do any kind of power move on these big dudes, I saw the Hogan/Andre hokeyness but I still appreciated it.

I hate that MJF is spamming the eye poke now as a "I'm still heel but y'all will laugh and appreciate this still" spot. Like the ref should be hard admonishing him every time but they just like "I'm an AEW ref I'll let you cook" Makes his offence look 1 dimensional when he leans on it so much.

Dillah810

Flat Girther
Daps
Reppin
Flint, Michigan
All the industry vets see the same thing when it comes to Hobbs. He needs to get out of that company because he’s clearly money and the Mark can’t see it
And go where? The reason Hobbs is in AEW in the first place is because WWE had no interest in him.

dh86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Hobbs is in the Punkerverse, so tell Phil to do the job then.

Toe Jay Simpson

Searchin’
Daps
Reppin
Carmel City
And go where? The reason Hobbs is in AEW in the first place is because WWE had no interest in him.
He was an unproven commodity at the time. He’s shown his value and done it on live TV in front of the world. We all know what we see now.

And it don’t even have to be WWE. Impact is looking real good right now. He could be groomed into a world champion there.