Brehs, what's so bad about Windows Phone?

Raiders

All Star
Supporter
Daps
lack of apps is such a cop out. All you really need is 15-20 apps and the only glaring miss right now is instagram
If you got a WP8 look up 6tag its a WP8 app with instagram's approval

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
This was my experience... The same official apps were not as functional as their Android counterparts. I also found that (at the time) the free offerings were not as good quality wise as on other platforms.

I copped the 920 a day or two after release and had it for about 4 months before giving up on the platform. Cant speak on it for the last 6 or so months though. My experience was that the OS isn't complete trash but it is better suited for someone who either isn't technically savvy or doesn't use their phones to the full potential. Unfortunately for MS, the iPhone completely fills that void with a very large app store to boot.

Downloading/managing PDFs/zips/mp3s was cumbersome without a true file manager or a computer available.

All in all, I was admittedly already spoiled by the openness and flexibility of Android and it was hard to adjust to a closed OS. It didn't offer anything more than its major competitors. If this would have come out in 08-09, it would have had a decent chance..
it takes time to get apps up to snuff and they moved from wp7 to wp8 which supported more. This was the same case when android first dropped compared to the iPhone. Took a while for official apps to get there. Google is probably working on a YouTube app, but the shyt takes time.

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
4.5" small screen? best night time camera on a phone? :mindblown:

I'm a fan of the Note series. I like a large screen with an internal Stylus. If they had a phablet i'd leave android....If Iphone or Windows had that type of device I'd go....Especially windows I could do so much work stuff with the windows device and it would be compatible with all the software i use at work. And it Nokia made it and had a camera :blessed: Please Nokia/Windows feed me.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
I'm a fan of the Note series. I like a large screen with an internal Stylus. If they had a phablet i'd leave android....If Iphone or Windows had that type of device I'd go....Especially windows I could do so much work stuff with the windows device and it would be compatible with all the software i use at work. And it Nokia made it and had a camera :blessed: Please Nokia/Windows feed me.
Nokia is about to release a phablet

Hiphoplives4eva

Solid Gold Dashikis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
black love, unity, and music
Wow! A real no-troll based discussion about Windows Phone! I'm so proud of this forum right now..

black-girl-crying-fist-pump-gif.gif

But seriously YES there are less apps on Windows phone than there are on Android. Yes its OS's app store are crap compared to Android (I'm furious y'all go Contra right now...), but windows phone does the CELL PHONE BASICS far better than eiher iOS or Android. And being that I use the essential functions of my phone (like calling, texting, social networking, picture taking, watching music and video, internet sharing, web browsing, external HD, wifi calling) far more than playing the latest game or enjoying the latest app of the week, i prefer windows phone. Windows phone does those basic functions so well, i'm willing to forgo having access to the latest app craze, if it means i can take DSLR quality photos at late night functions. Call me crazy.:manny:

Windows phone is really the only phone os you can easily operate with one hand as well. Its just so intuitive. Everyone should really give it a try before knocking it. At the very least purchase an unlocked Nokia lumia 520 online right now. The phone is amazing, and supports 64 gig external memory cards, so it can essentially become an overqualified ipod touch. The xbox music and nokia music software make it an AWESOME portable music player/phone seriously.

OG Talk

Archived
Daps
Reppin
Heaven on Earth
I love mine that I got through Verizon but I'm not really a big tech guy...It does what I need it to do but the app store is limited...

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
The whole app craze will pass soon as responsive is the way to go. You all visit a forum that is all responsive now without the need of an "app"

The Coli works on...
webOS
iOS
Android
BlackBerry
Symbian
WP7 and WP8

without the need of an app.

The ONLY thing that will never change is probably games, but even that is up for question at the moment.

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The whole app craze will pass soon as responsive is the way to go. You all visit a forum that is all responsive now without the need of an "app"

The Coli works on...
webOS
iOS
Android
BlackBerry
Symbian
WP7 and WP8

without the need of an app.

The ONLY thing that will never change is probably games, but even that is up for question at the moment.

Exactly. ..I dont know what dudes have so many apps for...I use gmail, spotify, facebook, Pocketcast, twitter and thats it.

Golayitdown

Veteran
Daps
it takes time to get apps up to snuff and they moved from wp7 to wp8 which supported more. This was the same case when android first dropped compared to the iPhone. Took a while for official apps to get there. Google is probably working on a YouTube app, but the shyt takes time.

I'm a developer and an early G1 adopter so I know about waiting for apps. I don't use but 4-6, so it wasn't a major deal, its just that the ones I used were not as good as on other platforms.

For me it doesn't directly correlate since at the time Android was a completely new OS being put out to test a platform at a time where no one was doing what it could do opposed to WP trying to tackle two established major players in IOS and Android years later, but I digress.

The architecture is not for me. A lot of my smartphone usage is downloading and using things on the go. Some of this wasn't possible without being completely integrated with MS's services or tethered to a computer. At the time, the platform was more akin to IOS (i.e. very walled/closed) and this was a deliberate decision, rather than a possible future enhancement.

Last edited: