Brehs... Should I go back and get my MBA?, or should I...

Prodyson

All Star
Daps
(I don't like posting in Higher Learning, so I'll post this here...)

Should I go get my MBA, or should I get a Project Management/Lean Six Sigma Certification.
Right now I have a degree in Management Information Systems, and work in a position related to my field. I've determined recently that my final "destination" is probably to work as a Project Manager at some level. The past few months I had been researching and planning for going back to get an MBA, but it's just mad expensive. Even to go to a local university, you have to drop like 25K.

So recently I have been looking into just trying to get my PMP and Six Sigma Certifications. I can go to Emory and get a project management certificate and a Six Sigma Green Belt Certification for $5400, plus books. And It would take me maybe a year. The cheapest school in my area to get an MBA is Georgia State University or the Georgia WebMBA program that goes through several universities around here, and they are around 30K. Schools like Emory, UGA, and Georgia Tech are all 40K+.

Do ya'll think it would make sense to just go for a PMP and Six Sigma instead. And people in the field, do you think it's just as/more/less marketable than an MBA?
One other option is to try to go back to my undergrad school and get In-State tuition :smugfavre: , and the MBA program is like 10K total, but it's a small school, non recgonizable school. It's in the UNC School System, but it's a small HBCU.

Mind you, my job has tuition reimbursement that will pay like 80% of my school expenses up to $6000 per calendar year

Huellz Santana

Shocking
Daps
Reppin
Da city where the skinny nikkas die
it all depends. how old are you? how many yrs of experience do you have? what undergrad degree did you get? :lupe:

if you're a minority with a decent profile and can score good on the GMAT then throw that pointless certification stuff in the bushes :camby: and get an MBA at Emory for free through the Consortium. Also look into programs like Management Leaders for Tomorrow.

im not in Information Systems tho. just an electrical engineer.

also, sounds like you never wanna leave Georgia so maybe you can get away with that part-time MBA bullshyt from Georgia State. personally I don't think it makes you competitive nationally tho.​

Prodyson

All Star
Daps
it all depends. how old are you? how many yrs of experience do you have? what undergrad degree did you get? :lupe:

if you're a minority with a decent profile and can score good on the GMAT then throw that pointless certification stuff in the bushes :camby: and get an MBA at Emory for free through the Consortium. Also look into programs like Management Leaders for Tomorrow.

im not in Information Systems tho. just an electrical engineer.

also, sounds like you never wanna leave Georgia so maybe you can get away with that part-time MBA bullshyt from Georgia State. personally I don't think it makes you competitive nationally tho.​

I'm 26, but I already have a wife, a daughter, and recently bought a house. So I don't have any plans to move any time soon. And since I'm 26 I've only really been in the workforce for like 3.5 years. My Undergrad degree is in Management Information Systems.

I've always done fairly well on standardized tests, and I'm black... But I dread studying for the GMAT. But tell me more about this free MBA from Emory...:lupe:

Oh yea... and yes. I also need a part-time/online program considering I am married, with a child, and with a mortgage.... and a car payment (my wife's... smh)

Huellz Santana

Shocking
Daps
Reppin
Da city where the skinny nikkas die
I'm 26, but I already have a wife, a daughter, and recently bought a house. So I don't have any plans to move any time soon. And since I'm 26 I've only really been in the workforce for like 3.5 years. My Undergrad degree is in Management Information Systems.

I've always done fairly well on standardized tests, and I'm black... But I dread studying for the GMAT. But tell me more about this free MBA from Emory...:lupe:

Oh yea... and yes. I also need a part-time/online program considering I am married, with a child, and with a mortgage.... and a car payment (my wife's... smh)

oh yeah your situation is a lil different. part time is probably best.

but here's the link to the consortium: http://www.cgsm.org/about-us/

MikeBrownsJob

Seattle fan since 2013 *deal with it slime*
Daps
Reppin
Seattle We Run You Nyggas Ask Russel Wilson

You are a white washed, sell out simp :pacspit:

sfgiants

BANNED
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i dont know the exact numbers but you need more than 3.5 years work experience to get that six sigma/PMP certification, and 3.5 years of work experience + MBA will not do you any good

MBA's are useful for people trying to get into executive level type of management. i know a couple of people with MBA's who are doing regular entry level type of jobs because an MBA without solid work experience is useless.

wait til you're 30 or something.

Prodyson

All Star
Daps
You are a white washed, sell out simp :pacspit:

White washed?....sell out?... simp?

nikka... I went to a 90% black high school
Then I went to Morehouse College for a year (left because I lost my scholarship cause I partied more than I went to class)
Then I went to another HBCU in North Carolina
Both of my parents are Guyanese
I married a black woman

How am I any of these things....

Except maybe a simp... :heh: :snoop:

ThugLife

Diehard Jimmy Buckets fan
Daps
Reppin
I bought a Carbon 15 when I was 18

Then I went to Morehouse College for a year (left because I lost my scholarship cause I partied more than I went to class)
I married a black woman

But does your wife wear hair hats :mjpls:

MikeBrownsJob

Daps
Reppin

I married a black woman

Lol sarcasm breh I was just gettin it out the way because I'm sure it was coming. Outside of the kid part breh, our lives are pretty similar. it's definitely :snoop: :sadcam: :krs: :bryan: all at the same time.

Prodyson

All Star
Daps
i dont know the exact numbers but you need more than 3.5 years work experience to get that six sigma/PMP certification, and 3.5 years of work experience + MBA will not do you any good

MBA's are useful for people trying to get into executive level type of management. i know a couple of people with MBA's who are doing regular entry level type of jobs because an MBA without solid work experience is useless.

wait til you're 30 or something.

Well consider that I won't be able to start working toward a PMP/Six Sigma certification until next year. And the whole process would take between a year and a year and a half. So by the time it's all said and done I will be around 28 with 5.5-6 years of work experience.

And to get the Six Sigma certifications, you don't need more than 3.5 years of work experience, you just have to go through the training.To get the PMP you don't need YEARS of work experience as much as you just need to have experience working in Proejct Management or be a Project Manager. Plus, the plan is to just get the certificate for Project Management first... then take the test later for the actual certification.

Edit: So essentially I would use the PM certificate from Emory and the Six Sigma cert to get me into the door as a small scale project manager, or a jr. project manager/coordinator. Then get the PMP certification.

Prodyson

All Star
Daps
But does your wife wear hair hats :mjpls:

Hair hats?...

If you're talking about weave?... No, not really, unless she gets something like senegalese twists in her hair. She does have some in her hair now though, because since she left her hairstylist in NC, her hair hasn't been as healthy. So she's trying to get it back to where it used to be. But normally... she hates weave.

Assuming that's what you're talking about

MikeBrownsJob

Daps
Reppin
Well consider that I won't be able to start working toward a PMP/Six Sigma certification until next year. And the whole process would take between a year and a year and a half. So by the time it's all said and done I will be around 28 with 5.5-6 years of work experience.

And to get the Six Sigma certifications, you don't need more than 3.5 years of work experience, you just have to go through the training.To get the PMP you don't need YEARS of work experience as much as you just need to have experience working in Proejct Management or be a Project Manager. Plus, the plan is to just get the certificate for Project Management first... then take the test later for the actual certification.

Get the MBA breh.

http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Lean-Six-Sigma-Certification-vs-37987.S.180797002

I am an Industrial Engineer (BS 2001, Penn State). I got my Lean Six Sigma Black Belt in 2008 and an MBA from Florida Atlantic University in 2012. I found that they MBA opened more doors than the Black Belt. The MBA included a green belt type project in one of the operations classes but did not have any certification ties to it. If the programs you are looking at offer an MBA combined with a Six Sigma certification, that would be great and I would go for that. Companies are always looking for good people to work in quality and quality can be applied to transactional companies (banks, hospitals, service organizations, and the like) as well as manufacturing companies. The question is what do you want to do?
Currently working as a Lean Six Sigma Black Belt, I spend most of my days working on projects with others throughout the organization to reduce waste, improve efficiency, and reduce defects. You have to be patient and like working with people.
You can never go wrong with an MBA but perhaps you might want to think about working for a few years in industry before making that commitment. Just my 2 cents.
All the best,

One of the comments. Check that link out.

Prodyson

All Star
Daps
Lol sarcasm breh I was just gettin it out the way because I'm sure it was coming. Outside of the kid part breh, our lives are pretty similar. it's definitely :snoop: :sadcam: :krs: :bryan: all at the same time.

Yea I figured... But I figured I'd follow up with an answer for all the clowns who couldn't tell and were gonna follow suit.... Like the sheep they are

And I definitely feel the same way... smh

ThugLife

Diehard Jimmy Buckets fan
Daps
Reppin
I bought a Carbon 15 when I was 18
Hair hats?...

If you're talking about weave?... No, not really, unless she gets something like senegalese twists in her hair. She does have some in her hair now though, because since she left her hairstylist in NC, her hair hasn't been as healthy. So she's trying to get it back to where it used to be. But normally... she hates weave.

Assuming that's what you're talking about
uEAZkZ

He's clean guys
iAEUfvZinpwFS.gif

MikeBrownsJob

Daps
Reppin
Yea I figured... But I figured I'd follow up with an answer for all the clowns who couldn't tell and were gonna follow suit.... Like the sheep they are

And I definitely feel the same way... smh

The hardest part is finding other couples to kick it with. Specifically black. It's a shytty age range to already be established in family life.