Brehs school me on handheld pc gaming

BBG

Superstar
Daps
Why buy an entire handheld PC when your phone is more than capable of handling PS3 emulation?? Just buy a gamepad to put your phone in for less than $100 and there's your handheld PC right there

The Pledge

THE PRICE OF THE BRICK GOING UP!
Daps
Steam Deck just for the fact that you'll have INFINITE amounts of support for the foreseeable future

It might not be the best hardware out there but you'll always get the latest software updates to all the emulators and mods

Phillyrider807

My Soundtrack is the second “Carter”
Daps
Reppin
215 Uptown!
I'm talking about Steam Deck OLED, Lenovo Legion Go, Rog Ally X, & any other out there.

Never gamed on a pc before so I don't even have that level of understanding about these...so let me know what I should know and how I'd go about using one of these if I copped one.

I'm looking to basically play some PS3 games like GTA 4 & Max Payne 3...so which device would be the best for those and those types of games.
A steam deck is more then capable of playing GTA 4/Max Payne 3. But you gonna be looking at the official PC ports. Not ps3 emulation. PS3 Emulation is still shaky at best on Steam deck. It's a bit better on the windows handhelds(ROG Ally/Legion Go)

Emulation up to PSP is perfect on steam deck. PS3/Xbox 360 and high end switch games struggle on steam deck
ROG Ally/Legion Go has emulation up to PS3/High end switch games works pretty well but still not perfect. PS3 emulation even on high end desktops pcs is still not "perfect"

But again outside of first party titles most games from that gen has official pc ports that will run fine on steam deck.

If you on a budget i would be on the look out for a used steam deck oled/rog ally z1e for around 350$. They pop up on facebook marketplace all the time honestly.
I personally have a launch day ROG Ally Z1E and it's hands down the best tech purchase i ever made. And the ROG Ally X is even better. I'm personally waiting for a actual gen 2 device and not a mid gen refresh though. Which seems they gonna hit summer of next year.

Why buy an entire handheld PC when your phone is more than capable of handling PS3 emulation?? Just buy a gamepad to put your phone in for less than $100 and there's your handheld PC right there
Huh?? What phone is doing ps3 emulation when a android ps3 emulator don't even exist?

Last edited:

mvp_status

Superstar
Daps
A steam deck is more then capable of playing GTA 4/Max Payne 3. But you gonna be looking at the official PC ports. Not ps3 emulation. PS3 Emulation is still shaky at best on Steam deck. It's a bit better on the windows handhelds(ROG Ally/Legion Go)

Emulation up to PSP is perfect on steam deck. PS3/Xbox 360 and high end switch games struggle on steam deck
ROG Ally/Legion Go has emulation up to PS3/High end switch games works pretty well but still not perfect. PS3 emulation even on high end desktops pcs is still not "perfect"

But again outside of first party titles most games from that gen has official pc ports that will run fine on steam deck.

If you on a budget i would be on the look out for a used steam deck oled/rog ally z1e for around 350$. They pop up on facebook marketplace all the time honestly.
I personally have a launch day ROG Ally Z1E and it's hands down the best tech i ever made. And the ROG Ally X is even better. I'm personally waiting for a actual gen 2 device and not a mid gen refresh though. Which seems they gonna hit summer of next year.

Huh?? What phone is doing ps3 emulation when a android ps3 emulator don't even exist?

PS3 emulation on my SD has been pretty solid with Emudeck/RPCS3. Some of the roms get real resource heavy, but I haven't had any real problems with any PS3 games I've tried to run.

360 is shot to shyt though. Can't get anything to run decent there

Phillyrider807

Daps
Reppin
215 Uptown!
PS3 emulation on my SD has been pretty solid with Emudeck/RPCS3. Some of the roms get real resource heavy, but I haven't had any real problems with any PS3 games I've tried to run.

360 is shot to shyt though. Can't get anything to run decent there
I remember i was trying to get ncaa 14 working on my brother steam deck and it loaded up but it was choppy as hell. Went through settings for like a hour just testing stuff out but couldn't get it to run smoothly. That game just worked out the box on my ally.

But yea steam deck can def run alot of ps3 games "well enough". I just wouldn't get a steam deck if my sole reasoning for a handheld pc was for ps3 emulation when better options are avaliable for around the same price tag.

mvp_status

Superstar
Daps
I remember i was trying to get ncaa 14 working on my brother steam deck and it loaded up but it was choppy as hell. Went through settings for like a hour just testing stuff out but couldn't get it to run smoothly. That game just worked out the box on my ally.

NCAA 14 was absolutely one of those ones that pissed me off the most lol. That and fukkin Gears of War 1-3

But yea steam deck can def run alot of ps3 games "well enough". I just wouldn't get a steam deck if my sole reasoning for a handheld pc was for ps3 emulation when better options are avaliable for around the same price tag.

you right, I skimmed over buddy's first comment saying he was trying to play PS3 games primarily

Phillyrider807

Daps
Reppin
215 Uptown!
NCAA 14 was absolutely one of those ones that pissed me off the most lol. That and fukkin Gears of War 1-3

you right, I skimmed over buddy's first comment saying he was trying to play PS3 games primarily
Yea and even with my Ally i still couldn't get Gran Tursimo 5 working smoothly. But i will say the ally has impressed me with it's ps3 emulation. Being able to play college football revamped on the go is crazy and i actually completed GOW Ascension on my ally with a few stutters here and there towards end game.

Last edited:

SmoothOperator88

Your friendly neighborhood coli poster
Daps
Reppin
NJ/BK

Also there's a Google doc that has all the info in regards to available gaming handhelds and listing what each can emulate.

Link here: PC/Retro Gaming Handhelds Database

I just copped and Odin 2 recently and I love it. Can play everything through PS2/Wii/Wii U + Handhelds all the way up to switch plus Android and RPG Maker games. Been playing Def Jam Fight For NY and it runs smooth. But Odin 2 is one of the Android based handhelds and in order to play PC games you need a Windows emulator while the Windows and Steam OS handhelds natively play them.

The video above is reviewing the Windows/Steam handhelds from this year.

Last edited: