*[BREAKING]*: French President Macron calls for a unified Arms Embargo against Israel for its crimes against humanity

Arithmetic

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Macron urges halt to arms deliveries to Israel for use in Gaza

French President Emmanuel Macron told French radio that his priority was to 'return to a political solution,' before adding France was not sending arms to Israel.

French President Emmanuel Macron on Saturday, October 5, urged a halt to arms deliveries to Israel, which has been criticized over the conduct of its retaliatory operation in Gaza.

"I think that today, the priority is that we return to a political solution, that we stop delivering weapons to fight in Gaza," Macron told broadcaster France Inter. "France is not delivering any," he added during the interview recorded early this week.

The United States provides about $3 billion in weapons to Israel each year. In May, the State Department said it did not have enough evidence to block shipments of weapons but that it was "reasonable to assess" that Israel has used arms in ways inconsistent with standards of humanitarian law.

In September, Britain said it was suspending some arms exports to Israel, citing a "clear risk" that they could be used in a serious breach of international humanitarian law.

Macron reiterated his concern over the conflict in Gaza that is continuing despite repeated calls for a ceasefire. "I think we are not being heard," he said. "I think it is a mistake, including for the security of Israel," he said, adding that the conflict was leading to "hatred." Macron also said avoiding an escalation in Lebanon was a "priority." "Lebanon cannot become a new Gaza," he added.

All Knowledge

Speak up...
Daps
Reppin
Belo Horizante
The fallout from the wider regional war Israel is instigating for will directly impact European countries, especially those with significant Muslim populations. Really fukked it has taken this long, but its likely the only way countries like France can cut the stem of violence that will surely be coming their way.

gho3st

plata or plomo
Daps
Reppin
Europe’s position on Israel seems to be opposite of what the US position has been. I believe that stems from them not wanting any more Muslim refugees in their countries. That’s just a theory I’ve been pondering.
follow the money or lack of it....:yeshrug:

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
Europe’s position on Israel seems to be opposite of what the US position has been. I believe that stems from them not wanting any more Muslim refugees in their countries. That’s just a theory I’ve been pondering.
To me, it sounds like he really saying,( we ain’t got it, we need to save up as much as we can for the bigger war that we plan on jumping off soon)

Seoul Gleou

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Or they don't want to look like hypocrites to the global south and potential trade partners.

They've been finger wagging at the rest of the world for a century about rule of law and human rights. Then when it's time to walk the talk, they pretend that shyt doesn't matter.

The rest of the world is waking up to the west thanks to Israel.

Daps
I agree...it's a multi-pronged issue.

Europeans - have NEVER given a shyt about Jews. They literally spent 1,000 years trying to annihilate them and weren't exactly begging them to stay after WW2 ended.

American conservatives - they hated Jews too but then the conservatives re-read the Bible and decided to support Israel. It's purely about their interpretation of Biblical text. If not for that, they'd still be using all kinds of slurs to describe them.

American liberals - tend to have lots of influential Jews in their ranks. They feel they HAVE to support Israel or risk losing those sweet campaign donations. It's logistics and money, more than ideology. Average citizens that aren't white MAGATS, give zero fukks about Israel. It's only liberal politicians and Magats.

But.....ultimately the most powerful Americans want a satellite state in the Middle East and Israel is (in their mind) the best option. Muslims and Islam in general has always scared whites. Jews are the white-adjacent wardens that keep the "evil" Muslims in line.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether

I'm under the impression that due to the difference in systems, it's far easier for well-funded lobbyists to buy American politicians than to buy European politicians. But I won't pretend to be an expert on European politics.