Bought a compound bow today.

Maximus Rex

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Evils of Men
Gonna go deer hunting with my uncle this Fall.

Passed the Bowhunting Certification last week

Taking Beginner Archery lessons next month and gonna try and shoot for a couple hours each month up until then.

The draw weight I had was 65 lbs and pulling it for the first time was harder than I was expecting it to be, but it eased up the more I shot it, was kinda winded after shooting 5 arrows in a row in about 2 minutes, so I'm gonna start doing dumbbell exercises to make that motion more seamless.

Total cost spent was $2754

Bow: $1280

Accessories (arrow rest, sight, arrows, quiver, stabilizer, release, case): $1474

Lift_29_EV2-3Q-462x1240.png

edit: the actual camo color I got

Last edited:

Maximus Rex

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Evils of Men
Been thinking about doing archery, but want to use a traditional bow.
Did you go straight for a compound bow or try any traditional bows first?

I went straight for a compound bow (easier to use), when I'm used to the compound, I expect to purchase a recurve (traditional) later down the line.

My uncle uses a recurve , but he hasn't been bowhunting in awhile.

When he saw my compound bow setup and learned the draw weight can be reduced to as low as 40 lbs (he's had shoulder surgery) he said he was gonna get the same one, just had to find a way to hide the cost from my aunt. :pachaha:

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
I went straight for a compound bow (easier to use), when I'm used to the compound, I expect to purchase a recurve (traditional) later down the line.

My uncle uses a recurve , but he hasn't been bowhunting in awhile.

When he saw my compound bow setup and learned the draw weight can be reduced to as low as 40 lbs (he's had shoulder surgery) he said he was gonna get the same one, just had to find a way to hide the cost from my aunt. :pachaha:
How is a compound bow easier to use than a recurve?

I also plan on buying one or maybe a crossbow

I had a kids Recurve back in the day and I loved hitting apples nobody allowed me to shoot one off their head though

Maximus Rex

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Evils of Men
How is a compound bow easier to use than a recurve?

I also plan on buying one or maybe a crossbow

I had a kids Recurve back in the day and I loved hitting apples nobody allowed me to shoot one off their head though

The CAM system, those axles at either end make it easier to draw a heavier poundage than a recurve and hold it there, when pulling with the CAM system it starts hard but at full draw it is way easier to hold, which makes holding in the aiming position for an extended period of time easier, say for instance a target moves behind something and you have to wait until the target comes back into the open.

With the recurve at full draw you are going to have to hold the full weight the entire time which will tire you more quickly if you don't have that endurance and strength.

Many recurve bowhunters use bows with 40- to 50-pound draw weights. They hold all that weight on their fingertips until releasing their arrow at an animal. Compound-bow hunters commonly shoot 50- to 70-pound draw weights. Thanks to the bow’s mechanical let-off, bowhunters might hold only 5 to 10 pounds at full draw.

Last edited:

UWasntThere

Superstar
Daps
Do you have room to set up some target blocks where you live?

I love going to the gun range but it's so damn expensive now

Maximus Rex

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Evils of Men
Do you have room to set up some target blocks where you live?

I love going to the gun range but it's so damn expensive now

There is a park near where my uncle and aunt live that has some targets setup for archery.

Also there is a range at the shop where I bought my equipment, it's $8 an hour but it's inside the building, I got two free hours with my purchase.

There is also a range south of where I live that is outside, don't know how much they charge.

My uncle wants me to shoot outside to take in account of the wind.

Maximus Rex

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Evils of Men
Did it for a semester in college as a mess around class. I could never quite figure out a consistent way to aim. I was flinging arrows down range on a wind and a prayer :skip:

When I was testing for draw weight without a sight, probably 3-4 yards away from the target wall, that arrow was going way higher/lower than where I was expecting it to be at.

Got this sight though