Boiler Room: The Official Stock Market Discussion

princeofhaiti

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DMV
i dont even wanna see my fidelity account when market opens (thank you apple :blessed:)
i feel extremely bearish though- i want to take profit on my non dividend paying shares & put $$$ into VOO & SPY
plus part time job is starting up soon so thats all going to m1 finance
I need to put long term stop orders in robinhood in case everything suddently goes red if the vaccine fails

Mister_DoItNice

Leading The Regime
Daps
Reppin
The Concrete Jungle
I'm confused. Friday was supposed to be the last day to purchase TSLA shares prior to the split. So what is going to happen to the shares that investors purchase this week? I didn't think there would still be a rush this week. Not complaining but im wondering what's still driving this surge.

Nobu

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I'm confused. Friday was supposed to be the last day to purchase TSLA shares prior to the split. So what is going to happen to the shares that investors purchase this week? I didn't think there would still be a rush this week. Not complaining but im wondering what's still driving this surge.

the TL;DR is it doesn't matter when you buy the shares, you will get the split. even if you buy after the "date of record" (which is what you mean by "last day to buy shares") and before the actual split. the dates don't matter to you as an investor.

Kyle C. Barker

Migos VERZUZ Mahalia Jackson
Daps
the TL;DR is it doesn't matter when you buy the shares, you will get the split. even if you buy after the "date of record" (which is what you mean by "last day to buy shares") and before the actual split. the dates don't matter to you as an investor.

Really?

So even if you buy TSLA today you still may get the split?

Wayans Brehs

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Here is what someone linked last week regarding the AAPL split with TD Ameritrade

Apple & Tesla Stock Splits 2020 | TD Ameritrade

"If you buy shares after Aug. 24 but before Aug. 31, you will purchase shares at the pre-split price. Following the split, you will receive the additional shares resulting from the stock split. For example: If on Aug. 26 you buy 100 shares (and hold them through the open on Aug. 31) at $400 per share, you will pay $40,000. You will receive 300 additional shares after the stock split, and the price will be reduced to the post-split price."

I would be surprised if other brokers aren't handling this the exact same way.

Nobu

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Really?

So even if you buy TSLA today you still may get the split?

yes. the "date of record" is simply an irrelevant bookkeeping difference on the backend. if you buy before the date of record, Tesla promises to split your stock. If you buy after the date of record and before the split, you are buying the promise from someone else. It makes no difference to you as an investor, because either way you are getting split stock.

Apple & Tesla Stock Splits 2020 | TD Ameritrade

FabTrey

Superstar
Daps
The valuation is getting away from the reality of it. There is no real catalyst to the way it continues to climb. Reeks of being a bubble like Tesla does. Apple isn't a growth stock with crazy annual growth rates.

from a long term point of view it's perfectly fine to buy at any point and just dollar cost average.:manny:

and if it dips it will recover fast, so buy the dip at all cost. if it pulls back i doubt it will go below $400.

and the split is the catalyst along with strong earnings in pandemic. and there's still a major growth opportunity in emerging markets.

let's face it. there's nothing stopping APPL to be the 1st 3 trillion company. that's the power of the brand. it's a freight train and it's probably the safest stock to hold long term. investors are just too excited about this and pull wont happen any time soon.

having said all that, im not interested buying cuz i would rather find a 10x company over 2-3x company. :mjgrin: