Body building while on keto???

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
Say brehs, should I start lifting? So far I've lost around 20 pounds on lazy keto (eye balling macros) I am wondering if I sign up to a gym and start lifting. Btw, I am no where near my goal weight but I want to be cut and lose about 70 more pounds. Is this possible?

Tunes

Pro
Daps
You should be lifting regardless if you're trying to
lose weight by eating at a calorie deficit (to preserve whatever muscle you have left so you don't look weird and have loose skin ,etc) or
gain weight eating at a calorie surplus (to build lean muscle mass and not look like a fatso).

So , yes, LIFT, and lift heavy

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
You should be lifting regardless if you're trying to
lose weight by eating at a calorie deficit (to preserve whatever muscle you have left so you don't look weird and have loose skin ,etc) or
gain weight eating at a calorie surplus (to build lean muscle mass and not look like a fatso).

So , yes, LIFT, and lift heavy

How does lifting work on low carb diets tho?

@The ADD

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
I keep hearing you can't build muscle due to the low carb diet
Depends on what you are talking about.

You can lift fine on low-carb but you have to manage your volume. Truly building muscle on low carb is going to be pretty tedious.

If you really have 70 pounds to lose then you can likely go for a while doing so.

Eventually you will get lean enough where it's not worth it IMO. I tried and eventually learned that to lift/preform at a high rate carbs are optimal.

More important than anything start lifting. It can only help IMO unless you have a medical or financial reason not to.

Last edited:

4North1Side2

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I keep hearing you can't build muscle due to the low carb diet

That's not true what so ever. On a keto diet you should be consuming large amounts of protein which builds muscle.

People say you can't lift with the same intensity on a keto diet as much as a card rich diet, again another lie. Once your body becomes accommodating to burning fats for fuel, you'll find yourself with a abundance of energy.

I'm not a body builder but this is proven science.

I think people become discouraged with building mass while on keto because of 2 things, you rapidly drop water weight which leaves your muscles looking flat instead of full. Also since your burning fat at such a fast pace, it shows how unmuscular you really are whereas if you counted calories, you steadily lose weight but still look big because of the fat around the muscle and water retention.

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
Depends on what you are talking about.

You can lift fine on low-carb but you have to manage your volume. Truly building muscle on low carb is going to be pretty tedious.

If you really have 70 pounds to lose then you can likely go for a while doing so.

Eventually you will get lean enough where it's not worth it IMO. I tried and eventually learned that to lift/preform at a high rate carbs are optimal.

More important than anything start lifting. It can only help IMO unless you have a medical or financial reason not to.

So you're saying I would just focus on lose the weight? I know I have a decent amount of muscle, I can see em when working out

4North1Side2

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So you're saying I would just focus on lose the weight? I know I have a decent amount of muscle, I can see em when working out

Theirs no need to focus on losing weight when on Keto, you burn fat naturally fast. Just look at it as a new life style. You could literally sit on your ass all day doing nothing and you'd still lose fat.

You may be weaker lifting wise in the beginning, but trust you will regain your strength plus some once you are used to keto.

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
Theirs no need to focus on losing weight when on Keto, you burn fat naturally fast. Just look at it as a new life style. You could literally sit on your ass all day doing nothing and you'd still lose fat.

You may be weaker lifting wise in the beginning, but trust you will regain your strength plus some once you are used to keto.

What do you think about cheat days on keto. I just ate over 20g of carbs :upsetfavre:

4North1Side2

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What do you think about cheat days on keto. I just ate over 20g of carbs :upsetfavre:

Very necessary! Your showing way more restraint and desicpline than I did when I lived the keto lifestyle. I had cheat weekends gorging on whatever I pleased.

If I had to guess, I was consuming 300 carbs a day on the weekend. I would of went insane without a cheat weekend.

I read as long as you keep your carbs under 50grams a day, you'll stay in ketosis. I tried to stay under 30g. I would treat myself to a flavored Greek yogurt each morning. Drunk liters of diet pop so I wouldn't go threw withdrawal of sweets.

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
Very necessary! Your showing way more restraint and desicpline than I did when I lived the keto lifestyle. I had cheat weekends gorging on whatever I pleased.

If I had to guess, I was consuming 300 carbs a day on the weekend. I would of went insane without a cheat weekend.

I read as long as you keep your carbs under 50grams a day, you'll stay in ketosis. I tried to stay under 30g. I would treat myself to a flavored Greek yogurt each morning. Drunk liters of diet pop so I wouldn't go threw withdrawal of sweets.

Jesus no, I am very committed to this lifestyle. I ate two pints of Halo Tops, 5 sticks of keto bread sticks with Rio's pizza but this was after a 18 hour fast. I few weeks ago I use to have that problem with diet pop but I switch to the cans as they are easier to measure.

Last edited:

4North1Side2

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Jesus no, I am very committed to this lifestyle. I ate two pints of Halo Tops, 5 sticks of keto bread sticks with Rio's pizza but this was after a 18 hour fast. I few weeks ago I use to have that problem with diet pop but I switch to the cans as they are easier to measure.

Theirs no sugar/carbs in diet pop so no need to measure. Some people say artificially sweeteners fukks with ketosis because the body reacts to it like real sugar preventing ketosis but I never had that problem.

Much power to you man, I wish I was about that life still but I enjoy junk food entirely too much.

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
Theirs no sugar/carbs in diet pop so no need to measure. Some people say artificially sweeteners fukks with ketosis because the body reacts to it like real sugar preventing ketosis but I never had that problem.

Much power to you man, I wish I was about that life still but I enjoy junk food entirely too much.

It aint that hard to stick to it, breh. Plus my grocery bill has reduced itself by more than 50% so that was enough of a reason to stick to it.

Thinking about it, I'm finna make from Cream Cheese pancakes and some pork sausages topped with ranch sauce when I wake up :wow:

The ADD

Old Master
Daps

I'm kind of confused at the question.

Based on the conversation below it sounds like y'all were/are basically carb cycling. That's not a criticism, I do the same.

I guess my question would be what is your preferred method of losing weight? Personally I became so in love with lifting that it required using carbs as fuel.

If you prefer to focus more on the nutrition angle through Keto than that can work as well.

My .02 cents is that chasing the term "Keto" as a directive is a lot of wasted energy. I think more people could achieve the same goals by carb cycling instead of trying to adhere to being in true state of ketosis.