#BlackExcellence: Chicagoan Earns Her Doctorate At Only 17 Years Old!

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
Dr. Dorothy Jean Tillman speaks at the Arizona State University College of Health Solutions convocation on May 8, 2024.

Dr. Dorothy Jean Tillman speaks at the Arizona State University College of Health Solutions convocation on May 8, 2024.

By age 14, Dorothy Jean Tillman had obtained an associate’s, bachelor’s and master’s degree. Despite the impressive achievements, Tillman remembers turning to her mother and saying, “I think I want to pursue a doctorate degree.”

Her mother, Jimalita Tillman, was surprised. They were in the middle of the Covid-19 pandemic. And Dorothy was a year into launching a science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics (STEAM) camp startup, and she was looking for funding for the organization. She was busy.

“I was just like, ‘why?’ I thought you were done,” Jimalita told CNN.

But after Dorothy explained that her mission was to positively impact young people when it came to their mental health, Jimalita understood and lent her support.

Fast-forward two years, when 17-year-old Dorothy successfully delivered her dissertation. Now, at 18, she is officially Dr. Dorothy Jean Tillman after walking at Arizona State University’s College of Health Solutions convocation on May 8.

Full article:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/chicago-...JH-9lcULWOaRIx3WhSdT1C4GGKdbZS233Rm :salute:

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
I mean to be weird, but, how do you do this?

I'm guessing she basically skipped through high school and went straight to college classes at 13 or 14?

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
She took her first college course at 10 years old. Got her Doctorate's degree in integrated behavioral health at Arizona State.

Dorothy Jean Tillman II’s participation in Arizona State University’s May 6 commencement was the latest step on a higher-education journey the Chicago teen started when she took her first college course at age 10.

Veteran
Daps
I mean to be weird, but, how do you do this?

I'm guessing she basically skipped through high school and went straight to college classes at 13 or 14?

I'm not knocking her goals, but this is a feel good campaign.

I had to dig to find what her degree was, Integrated Behavioral Health. She took her first college course at 10 years old. I have no idea what Integrated Behavioral Health is and how a 17 year old, who barely started puberty , understands what mental health is.

Pazzy

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Folks still not getting the game thats being played when they show the above average student who is overaccomplished graduating early or with high honors that is in such shytty school district and use their success story to justify the whole "if this kid could do that, then our shytty school system is fine" nonsense. Same trickology. The school system is still fukked up. Lets not ignore that part instead of being celebatory towards one student when there should be more. Congrats to her but i refuse to believe shes the only smart kid from that school district.

Last edited:

Veteran
Daps
she obviously studied... that's what the whole thread is about! :skip:

Read this post saying it's a worthless degree.:patrice:

DBH is a professional doctorate which is not the same kind of doctoral degrees like PhD most people are familiar with. These kinds of online degrees are basically worthless and no one talking about having a "doctorate" is referring to these.

Like I said, I'm not knocking her, but this isn't the PHD most people are thinking of. It's a 2 year online degree. :hubie:She has a lot of momentum to do something great.

Daps
Read this post saying it's a worthless degree.:patrice:

Like I said, I'm not knocking her, but this isn't the PHD most people are thinking of. It's a 2 year online degree. :hubie:She has a lot of momentum to do something great.

what degree do you have?