Black Tampa: Central Ave. Black Florida series

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
What could've been. What was.

:mjcry:

I wanna start a series on the coli and just make threads on historically black areas of Florida. So much history in the state. Me being a non-ADOS and an "outsider" AA history intrigues me, and Florida is filled with AA pre-Caribbean migration history that unfortunately often gets forgotten.

:wow:

Last edited:

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
Central Ave was so vibrant, structurally dense, urban, and teaming with black life and black industry. All those neom signs and businesses and hundreds of folks walking up and down the nightclub lit streets. Ray Charles recording there. "The Twist" being discovered there. Integration and the growth of the interstate system did a number on this district as well as many other historically black districts in Florida as well. Overtown down in Miami also comes to mind.

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
Sistrunk, over town, west park, lake worth :ohlawd: can't wait
I used to stay in Lake Worth when I was knee high.

Lake Worth is Little Guatemala now. But back in the day, Black ppl had a foothold on most of Lake Worth south of Lake Ave and downtown.

Sistrunk is on the comeup again. West Park has some businesses and black restaurants springing up. Southeast broward has some hidden AA history. The Palms in Hallandale Beach, Liberia in Hollywood, SW Dania.

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
Im gonna attempt(keyword) to make threads on the following areas by county.

Palm Beach County:

West Atlantic Delray Beach
Pleasant City West Palm Beach
Tamarind Ave Corridor(West Palm Beach)
Southern Lake Worth
The Styx(Palm Beach Island)
Pearl City(Boca Raton)
Riviera Beach
Cherry Hill(Boynton Beach)
Belle Glade
Pahokee
South Bay

Broward County:
The Palms(Hallandale Beach)
Sistrunk(Fort Lauderdale)
Hammondville Area(Pompano Beach)
NW Deerfield
SW Dania
Liberia(Hollywood)
West Park(Carver Ranches)

Miami-Dade:
Overtown
Miami Gardens(Carol City, Norland, Bunche Park)
Liberty City(Brownsubs, Liberty Square, etc)
Lemon City/Little Haiti(It was called Lemon City before it became Little Haiti)
Richmond Heights
Opa-Locka(highest collection of moorish architecture in the US)
Seminola(Hialeah)
West Coconut Grove

Orlando/Orange County:

Parramore
Pine Hills
Holden Heights
Carver Shores
Texas Ave
South Apopka
Eatonville

Tampa/St.Pete(Hillsborough and Pinellas County):

Central Ave
West Tampa
South St.Pete(they have a nice Pan African movement going on down there with the uhuru restaurant and gym)
Rosier Park
Bethel Park
Childs Park
Lake Magiorre Shores

Tallahassee(Leon County):

Frenchtown

Duval County:

Baynard
LaVilla
Eastside
Arlington

SW Florida:

Dunbar(Fort Myers)
Newtown(Sarasota)

Pensacola:

Belmont-Devilliers

Key West:

Bahama Village

St. Lucie County:

Fort Pierce

Daytona Beach:

Midway
Newton

Or I might just make one big thread.

DUCKED_OFF

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Florida
This is where my mom is from ...they have a lil memorial park their now and I got some pics of it on my ig page

but after all this they tore down the project (central park) and was suppose to build some new ones and that shyt went bad...they built some nice mixed income apts...you got poor people living in them and white people with money in them walking lil dogs and shyt

And they were suppose to build some other apts but the housing authority,city and investors fukked those up on purpose and they caught on fire, had water damage, bad windows..... so much fraud going on and kick backs

Swirv

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
It's up to us to thrive and build vibrant communities now. We need to support eachother. Great documentary

DUCKED_OFF

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Florida
I love these photos. It's like they're trying to make central ave a tourist destination.
Yea something like that, thats the only thing left of the area. Downtown tampa is different now and all you see is luxury apts and condos. Next to central park their is some projects called tampa park but those are about to get knocked down and they're talking about building the rays(baseball team) new stadium there.

The city is even tearing down historical buildings in that area when you're not suppose to, the only one left is a rooming house where all the famous black folks like james brown use to stay, but that place looks like it could fall if you blew on it too hard.

• Dap
Reactions: Meh