Black Queen makes an amazing succinct video on who really created Rock and Roll

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Bushed
Daps
That's nice, but we don't make or listen to Rock en masse.
I'm not sure rock is even a "thing" these days, I can't recall the latest bands or songs. Are they charting? I'm off in my own bubble.

And I'm saying this cause part of me wants to think the thread was made in line with this while "wE sTarTeD hIp HoP" bullshyt-- none of it means shyt if the masses are moving on. Us in particular, and we've seen that with Rock.

SO we can either value and uplift the content wanna hear or watch it become gentrified. Like Rock.

the elastic

livin' outside of the matrix
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the bay/norcal
That's nice, but we don't make or listen to Rock en masse.
I'm not sure rock is even a "thing" these days, I can't recall the latest bands or songs. Are they charting? I'm off in my own bubble.

And I'm saying this cause part of me wants to think the thread was made in line with this while "wE sTarTeD hIp HoP" bullshyt-- none of it means shyt if the masses are moving on. Us in particular, and we've seen that with Rock.
Main reason we didn't really take on Rock as a people was because of the high cost and lack of access to instruments and the time to learn.

Anything them peoples can't out talent us in, they try to price us out of.

Rap/Doo-wop/Soul and R&B only need vocals, that's why they could never dream of taking over those genres.

Can't price us out of microphones and vocal practice.

mykey

Superstar
Daps
Main reason we didn't really take on Rock as a people was because of the high cost and lack of access to instruments and the time to learn.

Rap/Doo-wop/Soul and R&B only need vocals, that's why they could never dream of taking over those genres.

The main thing is that the black artists were gentrified out of a genre they created. Rock & Roll used to be called "N*gger music" in the 1950s before the racist leaches realised it's a cash cow and made Elvis Presley the face of it.

s-l1200.webp

Black songwriters were cheated out of royalties and singers made to sign shockingly criminal contracts. Many of them died in poverty.

The good thing is that black people are natural innovators. The artists would release Rock songs and call them "Soul" or "Funk" or whatever. If you listen to much of the music of Wilson Pickett, James Brown or Ray Charles you realise it's just rebranded Rock & Roll.

In any case, Rock is now dead because the white musicians lack talent and innovation and have no more black artist to steal and exploit from.

Last edited:

the elastic

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the bay/norcal
The main thing is that the black artist were gentrified out of a genre they created. Rock & Roll used to be called "N*gger music" in the 1950s before the racist leaches realised it's a cash cow and made Elvis Presley the face of it. Black songwriters were cheated out of royalties and singers made to sign shockingly criminal contracts
I only say they priced out because I feel like if more Black folks were able to attend schools that taught music and had the disposable income to buy all the equipment, we would have been able to flood the market with that high quality.

They've tried to gentrify every genre, but the ones we have the numbers in are the ones they can't outshine us in.

Same thing with sports. You think if golf and tennis were more accessible to the Black community, we wouldn't be running that shyt like football and basketball?

GunRanger

Veteran
Daps

This is a lie. 60s-70s soul and R&B were almost exclusively live instrument bands played by blacks.

the elastic

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the bay/norcal
This is a lie. 60s-70s soul and R&B were almost exclusively live instrument bands played by blacks.
Cause they were still learning thru the church. And some of those bands were the same dudes rotating.

And in the 60s-70s, the Black economy + community was probably at its strongest.

By the time the 80s hit, them crackas flooded the rock market with glam/arena bands.