Black people lost - the freedom day thread

Un-AmericanDreamer

Simp City
Daps
Yeah today is the day Abraham Lincoln delivered the Emancipation Proclimation. Which abolished slavery.

But I don't blame you for not knowing. It doesn't ever get the same recognition as other days.

As a lil nikka my pops forced me to celebrated it by going to black arts expos and programs. Ill admit I hated going because I thought it was boring and rather be goofing off somewhere. But now that I'm older I appreciate him making me respect our heritage.

:snoop: The irony here is that the IP didn't emancipate anyone who wasn't all ready emancipated.

Texas2step

H-Town it's NOT our year
Daps
Fam it should be holiday everywhere

No it shouldn't because everyone else was freed or close to it in January 1, 1863. Texas slaves wasn't freed or even knew about it until June 19, 1865 which is why it is celebrated down here on that date

Texas2step

H-Town it's NOT our year
Daps
It started in Texas, but it's recognized in 42 states and DC

We was the last to be freed while everyone else was freed 2 years earlier. What Im saying is We was the only people freed on that date. Cool all the other states recognized it but just understand it was a Texas celebration because it was a Texas problem

BruhMayne

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Juneteenth, also known as Freedom Day or Emancipation Day, is a holiday in the United States honoring African American heritage by commemorating the announcement of the abolition of slavery in the U.S. State of Texas in 1865.

Malikthegod

opposite of mediocre
Daps
What is there to celebrate? We are even worse off now, then when we were in shackles. At least back then we KNEW we were slaves.