Black History Month Spotlight: Black Pro Wrestling Legends

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
2 Cold Scorpio deserves a mention for giving all flippy wrestlers a style to run with. First guy I ever saw hit a 450.

He was maybe 20 years ahead of his time. He can still go as well - had a dope match with AR Fox at GCW's For The Culture show late last year.

He also deserves a :salute:for punking Buff Bagwell in front of his girl and whooping the dog shyt out of Hawk from LOD in North Korea.

My favorite wrestler of all time...hell my screen name is based off him

Starboy52

Superstar
Daps
DyqDSxJUcAEQ9RM

- First African American to hold ROH's World Championship
- ROH's Third Triple Crown Winner, Third Grand Slam Champion
- Longest reigning ROH World Television Champion at 567 Days.
- Most cumulative days as ROH World Champion at 707 Days.

Jay Lethal, brehs.

Vice Queen

aka Joe Henny
Supporter
Daps
I want to give credit to an unsung member of the Black wrestling fraternity.

Back in my podcasting days, or maybe before that, IDK, I took on this woman's nom de guerre for a brief time.

385053_323550107660282_323544117660881_1578085_1876391625_n.jpg

The one, the only, Dark Journey.

Dark Journey (wrestling) - Wikipedia

She's from my homeland and she returned there after her wrestling days and became a naturopath. The website is below.

Intentional Health Colon Hydrotherapy

And before the militants come in, yeah, she's biracial, but them folks who came to Mid-South shows didn't care.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
lutherlindsay-model004.png

one of wrestling's all time greatest old school "hookers"

Luther Jacob Goodall (December 30, 1924 – February 21, 1972) was an American professional football player and wrestler, known by his ringname Luther Lindsay or Lindsey, who competed throughout the United States with the National Wrestling Alliance as well as international promotions such as All Japan Pro Wrestling, Joint Promotions and Stampede Wrestling.

One of the first African American wrestlers to become a major star, he was extremely popular in the Pacific Northwest and Mid-Atlantic territory. A frequent rival and tag team partner of Shag Thomas, he also teamed with Bearcat Wright, Nick Bockwinkel, Pepper Gomez and was involved in feuds with "Iron" Mike DiBiase, Mad Dog Vachon, Moondog Mayne, Tony Borne and Pat Patterson & NWA World Heavyweight Champion Lou Thesz in a series of matches. Although largely resulting in time limit draws, he was the first African-American to make a challenge to the title and earned Thesz's respect during these bouts publicly praising his wrestling ability.

He was considered one of the top submission wrestlers of his day working with Don Leo Jonathan and Stu Hart. Lindsay was one of the few men who bested him in the infamous Stampede Wrestling Hart Dungeon and later became one of Hart's best friends. Hart reportedly carried a picture of him in his wallet until his death. Lindsay was held in high regard by his fellow wrestlers.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Never head of Breh but I’ll do the research. If Jonathan Gresham hasn’t already heard of him tho, I’d be surprised.

he was something else...stories of him having to use shoot holds to keep racist wrestlers in line from taking liberties in the ring..blow them up so they'd be too tired to fukk around. i remember reading a story where pat patterson beforehand was telling him what he wanted to do in a match..patterson was the rook and lindsay was like :stopitslime: so when they got in the ring, he put all types of shoot holds on patterson until he blew up then they of course they worked the match his way :russ: