Black History Month Spotlight: Black Pro Wrestling Legends

Raw Sauce

Superstar
Daps
I appreciate all the effort ya'll are putting into these posts
I particularly want to highlight the love you're showing to those ol school legends my granpop used to talk about
YuY5par.png

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
Dory Dixon was Mexico’s very first Black luchador. In addition to his success in Mexico, Mr. Dixon held the NWA Light Heavyweight Championship, and formed an successful team with another Black wrestling icon, Bobo Brazil.

:salute:

Starboy52

Superstar
Daps
It’s been a minute since I’ve been in this thread, but S/O to all involved who have been giving our brothers & sisters, and those who came before em their flowers. :salute:

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
Quick question: How many championships did Koko B. Ware hold?

If you were a WWF fan during the late '80s and early '90s, you might answer: "Zero". Koko, as popular and memorable as he was, never held a title in the WWF. More often than not, he was putting somebody else over.

However, "Zero" is still the incorrect answer to that question. Koko has actually held 21 titles throughout his career.

Before James Ware ever stepped foot into a WWF ring as Koko B. Ware he was known as "Stagger Lee" (A masked character that would also be used by the Junkyard Dog) and "Sweet Brown Sugar" in the NWA's Continental Wrestling Association. It was there that Ware would team with the likes Bobby Eaton, Stan Lane and Dutch Mantel and win seven AWA tag-team titles. Ware was also a six-time Mid-American Heavyweight Champion.

In 2009, Koko B. Ware was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame. And you know you have to have been hugely popular to get into the Hall of Fame when your legacy was "jobber to the stars" while actually active in the WWF.

Nevertheless, James Ware's charisma carried him into the hearts of an entire generation of fans, the WWE Hall of Fame and this thread as one of the greatest Black wrestlers of all time.

Happy Black History Month!