Black Game Developers

Daps

Strider 2014

How do you like to spend your free time?

“With what little free time I have, spend it with my family. I have two sets of twins, ones younger and ones much older. The older ones I neglected, because I was all into work earlier in my career, crunching, etc. Now, I’m more adjusted on that work/life balance thing. It’s important to focus on things outside of work, like friends and family. Don’t let work become your only family. I also spend time with my muscle cars. I like horsepower and have a LOT of it. [Smiles]”

Two sets of twins? What kind of odds are on that? I can only imagine how entertaining that is around the Barnes household.

“It’s chaos. But we wouldn’t have it any other way. The older twins are business-adjacent. One is a Linux engineer-sumthingaruther (he’ll kill me for not knowing exactly) and the other does art, music, as well as scripting. I keep saying we should be like one of those family dynasties and just all make games or something.”

What one game influenced you the most?

“There are a few games that really influenced me, but the one I say influenced me the most was a platformer on the Atari/C64 called, Jumpman. The game was brilliant! Fluid controls, every level was new and interesting. It blew me away and still does, 30 years later.

If you had to describe yourself in one sentence, what would you say? What is your tagline?

“The biggest thing you’ve never heard of.”

If people wanted to reach you, how can they find you? Twitter? FB? Instagram?

“On Twitter it’s @Twitchfactor, same on FB (Twitchfactor).”

Thank you, Tony. You dropped some gems in here.

“No problem. Thanks for the opportunity to yack your ear off.”

Daps
Hilda Karugabira – Principal Animator | We Are Game Devs

hildak02.png

Home
Art
Uncategorized
Hilda Karugabira – Principal Animator
By We Are Game Devs. Published on July 12, 2016. 0

“Have fun will travel.”

Hey Hilda, thanks for taking a moment out of your day off!

“No problem! I rarely do staycations so I could really use this time to do something.” [Smiles]

What is your current job title?

“I’m a principal animator at Zynga right now.”

What are some game titles you’ve worked on in your career?

“I worked on Cars and Ratatouille for PSP, Destroy All Humans: Big Willy Unleashed for Wii, a virtual pet site for web, and most recently Farmville 2 for web.”

Ratatouille PSP Gameplay

Very cool. What’s a day in the life of a principal animator like?

“I usually get into the office around 9:30, grab a coffee, and get latest on Git and Perforce. Then we have morning art team meetings where we talk about what we’ll be working on that day, get synched up with each other and our upcoming schedule, then I get started. Most of my day is spent on animating characters in Maya and integrating them into our game using Unity, working out any bugs. Once in awhile I have to do json data stuff in Sublime, and sometimes rigging.”

That’s pretty cool. Sounds like your pipeline is setup for quick iteration.

“Yes, very. I work closely with engineers on getting stuff in the game, if it also needs some code. I love that Unity is so artist-friendly, so I can check my stuff out right away usually.”

Cool, Unity seems to be nearly a standard in many game development houses. Let’s go back a bit, where did you grow up?

Ah! Long story! I was born in Rwanda, moved to Uganda when I was very young, then shortly after that, to Canada, and finally to the US in my early teens. And within those countries, a few cities. My family rarely stayed in one house for over a year.”

World traveller. Where did you learn your trade? Did you go to university?

“Yes, I went to The Art Institutes here in San Francisco for a BS in Media Arts and Animation.”

What drew you to animation? What sparked your interest in that particular field? Or did you study a broader art field?

“I always liked creating art in junior high and high school, and somehow the idea popped into my head that even better was art that moved! I didn’t know what the field was called at all, I just had a general sense of what I wanted to make. There were some great cartoons funded by the NFB/ONF in Canada that inspired me, mixing music with animation. So when I applied to an art school it was only with a loose sense of what I wanted to do with my life.”

So, as you took more classes your path became clear?

“Yes, at the beginning I had not even heard of computer animation. I had thought maybe I’d make Enya’s music videos or something for a living. But after the first year we moved into computers and it started to become clear. Games were something my brothers loved, but I had never really thought of making them, though I played sometimes, too.”

“My mother still refers to my job as ‘making cartoons,’ but I know she’s happy.”

How did you make the leap into game development?

“Once I graduated, I applied everywhere, and most of what was here in the Bay Area were game companies. By that time I had a good grasp of what was possible, and what I could bring to the industry.”

How long did your job hunt take? Did the Art Institute aid you in your search?

“The job hunt after graduation took only a few months, and boy, were my parents’ voices ringing in my head! I was very nervous about the viability of a career, and even started studying to take the GMAT and apply to business school as a backup. My parents, being immigrants and having fought their way into and out of 4 countries always just wanted us to have stable, safe lives, so an unemployed artist was not going to make them happy. The Art Institutes actually did have a pretty good, caring team that pointed me towards some job openings, and my first job, at THQ, was a result of one of their job leads.”

I think unemployed _______ is pretty high on many parent’s lists. It seems like the game industry is working out for you.

“Yes, I’ve been working non-stop for 11 years now, and love it! My mother still refers to my job as “making cartoons,” but I know she’s happy.”

Cars PSP Gameplay

[Laughs] “Making cartoons”, that is a first for me, but seemingly fitting. What professional accomplishment are you most proud of?

“I really loved working on the Ratatouille game for PSP. It was the first time I had to pull weekenders and late nights, and that’s when I learnt to drink coffee, but the end result was really satisfying, and that’s when I knew that my career truly suited me. Farmville 2 was also great fun, and I genuinely loved the team I worked on that with. It was a pretty successful game, and really made me value working with highly skilled talent to make a great product.”

Everyone remembers their first crunch. It’s a hellish time that I remember fondly. What are key traits to being a successful animator?

“Hard work, working hard, and… work ethic, [Laughs]. Sometimes it really isn’t going to animate itself, and you’ve got to set a key on every frame. I think computers do a lot of work for you, but ultimately the end result has to look right, and you can’t take shortcuts to that. And sometimes, the parameters change and you’ve got to do it all over again. Just say yes to the work. [Smile]”

In other words, sometimes you just had to put your nose to the grindstone and get something out there.

“Yes! Loving what you’re working on helps. We’re so lucky to get paid to do what we love. When I get frustrated I tell myself there are people who have to lift rocks all day. Is it true? I dunno, but it helps me keep a healthy perspective!”

“My biggest advice is to keep learning.”

Are there any essential tools or plugins you use at work? Anything you can’t live without?

“Essential tools for me are Maya, Photoshop, Unity, Sublime Text Editor. Can I put in a plug for tech artists here? It’s really hard to get a team together without a tech artist. I can’t live without them, they save my life on the daily.”

Tech Artists FTW. What advice would you give to someone attempting to pursue a career in game animation?

“My biggest advice is to keep learning. Tech changes so frequently, and you’ll quickly find yourself outdated and out of touch if you don’t keep looking into the latest and greatest. I remember when Unity was a new thing, and I started noticing it popping up on job postings as a required skill. Even if you’re not actively looking for a new job, checking up on what companies are asking for is a great hint at what you should be learning.”

Very true. It’s important to stay on top of new tech. Is there a particular game or animation that influenced you the most?

“I loved Mortal Kombat growing up, and Metal Gear Solid also. Frogger used to make my hands sweat, I remember having to take it easy with Frogger.”

Big Willy Unleashed Wii Gameplay

That is an amazing collection of games. Highly influential to me as well. How do you like to spend your free time?

“I am all over the place with my free time. I volunteer a lot, love working with kids, travelling, and I take lots of classes: Flamenco dancing, Spanish, skating, guitar. Really all over the place. If only I could clone myself and pursue 10 different life directions.”

That is a diverse set of interests! How do you find the time?

“I run for the bus a lot. And I’m always a little late. But I fit it in!”

There are not enough hours in the day. If you had to describe yourself in one sentence, what would you say? What is your tagline?

“Have fun will travel.” [Smiles]

If people want to find you, where can you be reached? Twitter, Instagram, snapchat…?

“Oh lord. Now I look like a hypocrite. I have not stayed up to date with the young kids on the Twitters. I do have a LinkedIn account though: Hilda Karugabira.”

Excellent. I’ve loved talking to you. And your worldview shines through.

“Thanks! It was such a pleasure talking to you, too, Marcus.”

Jonah

XBOT Suicide Prevention Squad
Daps
Reppin
Cali Crew
:manny: I aint professional but I been doin this shyt since 2005 so might aswell slide myself onto the thread

how we supposed to do this? someone supposed to interview me or test out some of the games I released?:jbhmm:

Games - Ss4gogeta0

or the more recent projects i kinda lost interest in or completely forgot I ever did?

cf0f20eb902a4bc8b2f39e6822bb7ddd.png

63e079932d4a4f81ae7c493e0e5f76d4.png

ignore the nebula journey entry, I published it for someone else, didnt create it.

Daps
Brandon Smith – CEO | We Are Game Devs

brandonsmith.jpg

Home
Founder/Indie
Brandon Smith – CEO
By We Are Game Devs. Published on August 3, 2016. 0

“I’m either making really weird games, or really weird noises.”

Brandon, thanks for joining me.

“Thank you for having me!”

What is your current title and where do you work?

“I am the CEO of DarkShot Studios, an indie game company based in Houston Texas.”

What are some titles you’ve worked on previously?

“Nothing notable! This will be our first published title, but I’ve worked on for fun projects for the past ten or so years. One of them was a Mega Man fan game I creatively named Megan Man.”

ROTii

Clever. What is the title your studio is currently working on?

“We’re working on a 2D puzzle platformer called ROTii for PC.”

How did DarkShot Studios come to be? Did you help found it?

“Me and three other friends got together with the goal of making a AAA level rpg a few years ago. Once we discovered that those things take money to create, we formed a group around the idea of working on more attainable projects.”

#MakingGamesIsHard. We’ve all had that discovery at some point in our career. Better to figure that out before going into major debt. You mentioned you making games for fun for 10 years or so. How did you get your start working on games for fun?

“Back in the Ps2 days, I read about RPG Maker III in a Game Informer magazine. I was blown away by the fact that games could ‘be made!’ Instead of using that one, however, I got the RPG Maker for PC, and spent the next few years endlessly toying around with it.”

It was your gateway into game development. Did you get any formal schooling in game development?

“Only a single class a few years into my career. Most of my training was from experimenting and YouTube videos.”

Where did you grow up?

“Born and raised here in Houston. 26 years and counting.”

Not a lot of game studios in the Houston area, but there are a few, right?

“There are some smaller studios spread out through the city, but only one big one at the moment. I hope to see my studio become the next one!”

As a smaller studio, do you collaborate or work with other indies in the Houston area?

“I’ve worked with a few other developers for things like Global Game Jam, or smaller projects. A lot of the time, the indies here are also busy with their own work!”

What is your typical day like as a CEO?

“Pretty jam packed. I also work a full time job to pay the bills, so I usually put in about 11-14 hours worth of work over all. Mostly day job work, sending out emails, and chatting with the team during the day. Evening is reserved for usually programming or networking.”

“You have to be able to decide on a plan, and have enough consistency to stay the course each and every day, even when “new and shiny” things come creeping along.”

The life of an indie is forever jam packed! Did you receive a college degree? If so from where?

“I got my Associates from the Lone Star Community Colleges. Still working on my Bachelor’s from University of Houston – Downtown. I’m studying business, which actually comes in handy as a CEO.”

What skill or trait is most important as a CEO?

“Consistency. As a CEO, you spend a lot of time making important decisions for your company. At least in my case, there’s a lot of temptation to change aspects of our game, or make other major changes to the company. You have to be able to decide on a plan, and have enough consistency to stay the course each and every day, even when “new and shiny” things come creeping along.”

ROTii

I wish those words could be heard by some former employers of mine. It’s so true to keep steady course when developing and only making changes when it is best for the game and the people you work with. What is the biggest misconception about what you do?

“I would have to say the cost of being a young business owner. These days, young entrepreneur types are glorified in the mainstream eye (some rightfully so). While I think most people understand there is a lot of time involved, I don’t think many people take into account the degree to which this line of work can be very emotionally costly, not just time and money wise.”

I can’t fathom the cost of trying to do a startup. I can only think it is some lean living.

“It certainly is! The making money part is definitely not an easy milestone to reach. I’m still working towards that moment myself.”

What advice would you give someone who is thinking of becoming an independent developer?

“Start by just working on stuff. Small projects, work for family and friends. Get a feel for who you are as a developer and potential business person. If you know what you’re capable of, you can much easier make a plan for what things you need to get to be successful.”

How do you like to spend your free time, if you have any free time?

“The little free time I have these days is spent on Pokemon Go! It’s sort of a double bonus for me; I get to play a videogame, and take in some nature!”

ROTii

YES! You have to keep training if you want to be the best Pokemon battler in the world! You are not alone with Pokemon Go. Are there any other trends that have peaked your interest?

“The trend for ‘oddball’ things has me interested (is that even the proper word?). When I look at games like Undertale, or shows like Adventure Time, there is often this aspect of quirkiness that makes you do a double take. It takes me back to Earthbound for the Super Nintendo.”

That is a great observation. They do not follow the status quo.

“Indeed. It definitely inspires how I approach design. In my opinion, trying to do the standard AAA game is never going to work, not at an indie level. The best thing I can do as a game developer is bring my uniqueness to the table.”

What one game has influenced you the most?

Earthbound for sure. It was a very different kind of RPG when it came out in the 90’s. I like to imagine they looked at various RPG tropes, and asked ‘does it have to be this way?’ That kind of thinking is what yields truly unique results.”

If you have to describe yourself in one sentence, what would you say? What is your tagline?

“I’m either making really weird games, or really weird noises.”

Perfect. LOL. If people want to find you or our company, how can you be reached?

“We’re on practically all social media platforms @DarkShotStudios. We also have our own website DarkShot Studios

Thank you for your time today, Brandon! Can wait to see how ROTii turns out. Best of luck!

“Thank you! This was fun!”

NOYEMI.M2

PMD Noyemi
Supporter
Daps
Hey folks, Noyemi Karlaitė (aka PMD Noyemi) here. I'm kind of an all-trades developer—I do all the art, code, and music for my games and I'm working on bigger projects every few years. I released Amihailu in Dreamland on steam late last year and started a new project, and in-between developing my projects I've been making music for Visual Novels and documenting Japanese FM sound APIs.

This year I'm working on getting a playable build of my new strategy RPG/sim adventure game Sugar Bunny and Friends, or Sugar Bunny for short.

The World
The game takes place 26 years after Amihailu accidentally brought her friends into the plane of Tumydorado. A landmass called Lumina floating in Tumydorado's endless sunset void is now home to roughly 3 million human inhabitants—lost spirits leaked in from Hell, wandering plane-hoppers, and a handful of explorers from powerful demon clans looking for more land and subjects to take control of. There also exists a large and growing contingent of natively born residents actively resistant to outplane affairs. With such wildly different and powerful interests at play, it's only a matter of time before tensions boil into full-blown civil war in the "nation" of Lumina.

The Gameplay
Sugar Bunny
will feature an intertwining of simulation game elements (relationships, reputation, statistics management) with an accessible take on strategic gameplay using Zones of Control in lieu of the more granular unit positioning found in other tactical isometric games. The combat system is subject to change, but the idea is that battles shouldn't last too long and these two aspects of the game should play into each other.

tktQUG6.gif
ZJ7uZhb.gif

Sugar Bunny stars Kekolu (shown above), a technically minded rabbit-demon who is obsessed with computing and firearms. She basically sees socializing as another technical challenge, so she has a weird idea of what constitutes an approachable person.

Technical Data and Screenshots

Sugar Bunny is a 2D isometric game running at 720p, but may feature larger resolutions for fullscreen if the user does not like the look of the game scaled. The game's also optimized to make sure it does not dip below 60FPS (the game consistently benches much, much higher than that, especially after the first couple of optimization passes)

The music and sound effects are made with the heavy use of FM synthesizers.

dBPigQl.png

ddBjAMM.gif

01yc09E.gif

Videos and other Media

Music: Lumina at Night 1
Music: Zone of Control
Immun Ward

Support Development on Patreon

You can support the development of the game on my patreon. Whether it's to fund development of this game, tip me for my other projects, or just because you want some music for yourself. Hopefully a demo will be out soon for everyone to try!

Daps
Hey folks, Noyemi Karlaitė (aka PMD Noyemi) here. I'm kind of an all-trades developer—I do all the art, code, and music for my games and I'm working on bigger projects every few years. I released Amihailu in Dreamland on steam late last year and started a new project, and in-between developing my projects I've been making music for Visual Novels and documenting Japanese FM sound APIs.

This year I'm working on getting a playable build of my new strategy RPG/sim adventure game Sugar Bunny and Friends, or Sugar Bunny for short.

The World
The game takes place 26 years after Amihailu accidentally brought her friends into the plane of Tumydorado. A landmass called Lumina floating in Tumydorado's endless sunset void is now home to roughly 3 million human inhabitants—lost spirits leaked in from Hell, wandering plane-hoppers, and a handful of explorers from powerful demon clans looking for more land and subjects to take control of. There also exists a large and growing contingent of natively born residents actively resistant to outplane affairs. With such wildly different and powerful interests at play, it's only a matter of time before tensions boil into full-blown civil war in the "nation" of Lumina.

The Gameplay
Sugar Bunny
will feature an intertwining of simulation game elements (relationships, reputation, statistics management) with an accessible take on strategic gameplay using Zones of Control in lieu of the more granular unit positioning found in other tactical isometric games. The combat system is subject to change, but the idea is that battles shouldn't last too long and these two aspects of the game should play into each other.

tktQUG6.gif
ZJ7uZhb.gif

Sugar Bunny stars Kekolu (shown above), a technically minded rabbit-demon who is obsessed with computing and firearms. She basically sees socializing as another technical challenge, so she has a weird idea of what constitutes an approachable person.

Technical Data and Screenshots

Sugar Bunny is a 2D isometric game running at 720p, but may feature larger resolutions for fullscreen if the user does not like the look of the game scaled. The game's also optimized to make sure it does not dip below 60FPS (the game consistently benches much, much higher than that, especially after the first couple of optimization passes)

The music and sound effects are made with the heavy use of FM synthesizers.

dBPigQl.png

ddBjAMM.gif

01yc09E.gif

Videos and other Media

Music: Lumina at Night 1
Music: Zone of Control
Immun Ward

Support Development on Patreon

You can support the development of the game on my patreon. Whether it's to fund development of this game, tip me for my other projects, or just because you want some music for yourself. Hopefully a demo will be out soon for everyone to try!

Thanks for posting this but you should probably make your own thread for your game because I don't think many people check this thread anymore

Black Bolt

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
LDN
@NOYEMI.M2, sugar bunny looks great, well done on getting to game number two. Can I ask a few questions, feel free to swerve them if you deem it invasive?

Did Amihailu in Dreamland sell/do well enough for you to meet your presumably modest targets? I can only imagine how tough it is as an indie dev as it's so competitive... are you full time or do you have a day job to sustain you?

Finally, would you join a big studio should the opportunity arise, is that something you've pursued or are you solely motivated with building your own?

Thanks

NOYEMI.M2

PMD Noyemi
Supporter
Daps
@NOYEMI.M2, sugar bunny looks great, well done on getting to game number two. Can I ask a few questions, feel free to swerve them if you deem it invasive?

Did Amihailu in Dreamland sell/do well enough for you to meet your presumably modest targets? I can only imagine how tough it is as an indie dev as it's so competitive... are you full time or do you have a day job to sustain you?

Finally, would you join a big studio should the opportunity arise, is that something you've pursued or are you solely motivated with building your own?

Thanks
Good questions. Amihailu in Dreamland was released for free, with any money coming from goodwill of players who liked it or wanted to buy the special music arrangements.

I'm a part time dev, my day job is doing music for Visual Novels.

I think if I were offered a position at a big studio I'd probably have jumped on it a good half a year ago. These days I'm not as sure, because my next big release is close enough and I do have a boyfriend with a decent IT job to help me out on the money issue (we live together).