Best tire brands?

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
Yeah, a good set of tires can make all the difference in the world. Don't mix and match them either, tread patterns are engineered to work in uniform sets. I've been really happy with continental extreme contact dws 06's as well as michelin pilot sports, with the conti's being 93% as good as the michelins, but at a much more reasonable price. I push my cars somewhat hard, but not hard enough to miss out on that 7% of upper end performance. Brand definitely matters as Continental is very well regarded not just in the automobile world but in bicycling as well. There's a lot of tech and innovation that goes into rubber compounds which encompasses longevity vs performance, rolling resistances, traction/handling, etc. I also run continental grand prix 5000's on my road bike after experimenting with several different brands.

For a cheaper option, i also like bfgoodrich advantage t/a sports. It’s what we’ve got on my wife’s x5.

Last edited:

Stuntone

Louisiana Made, DC PAID!
Daps
Reppin
IT Cert-Gang Mafia, GMB and HOH
I've had Continentals on my Audis. They are great, very bland looking.

I've have Pirellis, Yokohamas, Vogues, Cheap Fullway brands from Amazon, they've all been really good. I think Vogues have a hard ride. I actually have Lexani tires on my Maxima, they've been great.

All and all it seems a lot of brands or very decent. Probably all come from the same shops in China. If they have good reviews, seems you can't go wrong.

I have Faulken WildPeat All Terrains on my Lexus. They've been great. A guy on the Lexus forum suggested these. They're very aggressive looking, and i'm totally shocked how smooth they ride. Just amazing.

Screenshot-20230512-211401-Messages.jpg

2128_b_xl.jpg

Schadenfreude

All Star
Daps
Depends on what you want out of your tires. If you want snow tires, the GOAT snowtires are Blizzaks. Viking Contacts and Nokians aren't terrible either. What car is it and what type of performance do you want out of your tires? Do you want handling? Dry/wet performance? Cornering grip so you can take corners a little bit faster than normal? Or do you want a quiet ride or long tread life?

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Depends on what you want out of your tires. If you want snow tires, the GOAT snowtires are Blizzaks. Viking Contacts and Nokians aren't terrible either. What car is it and what type of performance do you want out of your tires? Do you want handling? Dry/wet performance? Cornering grip so you can take corners a little bit faster than normal? Or do you want a quiet ride or long tread life?
Quit and long tread life. All season.

Schadenfreude

All Star
Daps
Quit and long tread life. All season.

Usually you can't get both -- longer tread life means the rubber on the tire has to be slightly harder/firmer as well as greater density to get the longer treadlife. Quieter tires like a Michelin tend to be softer rubber but they typically ride better and are quieter. A Goodyear Assurance might be rated for 70-80k miles but they're louder than a Michelin Premier that's rated for 40-50k miles. The Goodyear tends to cost less per tire typically.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Usually you can't get both -- longer tread life means the rubber on the tire has to be slightly harder/firmer as well as greater density to get the longer treadlife. Quieter tires like a Michelin tend to be softer rubber but they typically ride better and are quieter. A Goodyear Assurance might be rated for 70-80k miles but they're louder than a Michelin Premier that's rated for 40-50k miles. The Goodyear tends to cost less per tire typically.
I'm not a car guy so I'll go for long tread life first. Maybe there's a brand that has moderate road noise.

Right now I have General Altimax 43. Suppose to last 75k but down to 2/10 at 40k.

Schadenfreude

All Star
Daps
I'm not a car guy so I'll go for long tread life first. Maybe there's a brand that has moderate road noise.

Right now I have General Altimax 43. Suppose to last 75k but down to 2/10 at 40k.

Do you do mostly highway or city driving?

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
Been rocking Michelin Pilot AS3’s for the last few years with a combo of city and highway driving, no complaints.