Best High End Reference Headphones?

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Since your budget is 750, look at the Audeze LCD-2. You can get them used or on sale in that price range.
Thanks. :cheers:

My Grado RS1e just came in. :whew: they sound great. The bass is lacking a bit, but users say you gotta break in the cans for like 100 hours and that’s when the bass starts to sound good.

I’ll look at the Audeze ones though. Do a side by side

Daps

My Grado RS1e just came in. :whew: they sound great. The bass is lacking a bit, but users say you gotta break in the cans for like 100 hours and that’s when the bass starts to sound good.

I want to upgrade to the RS series some day but my 325i is treating me well. Grados aren't the headphones to get if you like lots of bass, but the bass that is there does sound good.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I just added these bluetooth earphones to my collection.

They cost $1K, but goddamn, these are the best bluetooth earphones ever :wow:

Like holy shyt :damn:

These are my at work headphones. They sound so fukking good :whew:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Just get v modas or psb m4u2. The problem with high end headphones is you need the surrounding gear to go with it or you won’t really be extracting heir performance.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Just get v modas or psb m4u2. The problem with high end headphones is you need the surrounding gear to go with it or you won’t really be extracting heir performance.
Agreed. That’s why I use Tidal HiFi and an Oppo headphone amp/dac (or a red DragonFly on the go). If you’re not rocking a headphone amp/dac, there’s no reason you should drop $1K on a pair of headphones.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Agreed. That’s why I use Tidal HiFi and an Oppo headphone amp/dac (or a red DragonFly on the go). If you’re not rocking a headphone amp/dac, there’s no reason you should drop $1K on a pair of headphones.

From personal experience, I know that if you have these high end headphones and don't really pair them with the appropriate gear, they won't sound all that much, if at all better than cheaper headphones... and headphones is a hobby that can get VERY expensive... to the tune of thousands of dollars for headphones and the associated gear. You can easily have a headphone rig that costs $10,000 or more.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps

Audeze has an excellent sound., They are laid back in comparison to the Grado from what I remember of the Grado, but they have a richer sound. Do be warned that LCD headphones are big and heavy, so they will tire your neck out

brickfare

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
north north
man, more than $100 on iems makes me nervous, too easy to break / lose

my sennheiser amperiors (basically an upgraded hd-25) are a few years old now and discontinued but still work great, i just replaced the cable not long ago, you can pretty much buy replacement parts for anything that breaks on em