Best High End Reference Headphones?

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
So, I finally got on the Tidal Hi-Fi wave. Goddamn I can never go back to 320kbps again :wow:

I have some Parrot Zik 3s, but threw them to the side for some V-Moda Crossfade 2 Wireless cans. I just bought a headphone amp that easily fits on the bottom of my iPhone X. The V-Moda headphones sound amazing (I have to plug them in to get the best sound). I want even better sounding cans now. I what some Audiophile reference grade headphones. Those of you that are into this kind of stuff, what do you use?

@Kamikaze Revy , you do sound engineering, right? What do you recommend getting for Audiophile Reference headphones?

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention what genres I listen to. I like hip-hop and extreme metal (death, doom, black, grind)

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I got the DT990 pro 250 ohm
You might want to also get a DAC and an amp to feed your headphones to get the best sound.

I use a smsl m6 DAC/amp combo

StatUS

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere
Depends if you want a balanced or more bass biased sound.

Also do you want open backed cans for a better sound stage or closed back for more private listening?

Plus like another poster said you're gonna need a dope dac if you don't already have one.

Usually the Sennheiser 650s are the most recommended reference joints unless you're tryna spend over a G they don't have boomy bass but everything else is just pure nice.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I got the DT990 pro 250 ohm
You might want to also get a DAC and an amp to feed your headphones to get the best sound.

I use a smsl m6 DAC/amp combo
I have a dac/amp combo that plugs into the lightning port on my X. It comes on Tuesday.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
What is your budget because the top of the line stuff is 1000 and up

I think $750 is about at much as I would pay

Depends if you want a balanced or more bass biased sound.

Also do you want open backed cans for a better sound stage or closed back for more private listening?

Plus like another poster said you're gonna need a dope dac if you don't already have one.

Usually the Sennheiser 650s are the most recommended reference joints unless you're tryna spend over a G they don't have boomy bass but everything else is just pure nice.

I want a balanced sound with a better sound stage. I was doing some research and I think I might go with these:

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
For headphones I don’t use anything crazy. I have some Sony studio reference headphones I use. I haven’t spent any substantial money on headphones because I do the audio mixing on the big studio monitors.
After listening to music through reference (flat) speakers I don’t like going back to anything that colors the sound. I like to hear the work the engineer did and listen for where I can improve my own mixes.
For headphones I don’t have many recommendations for you. I’d be interested to hear what you find though.
For studio monitors I could talk all day.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
For headphones I don’t use anything crazy. I have some Sony studio reference headphones I use. I haven’t spent any substantial money on headphones because I do the audio mixing on the big studio monitors.
After listening to music through reference (flat) speakers I don’t like going back to anything that colors the sound. I like to hear the work the engineer did and listen for where I can improve my own mixes.
For headphones I don’t have many recommendations for you. I’d be interested to hear what you find though.
For studio monitors I could talk all day.
I'm all about headphones. I have a cheap polk soundbar, but that's it for speakers. shyt costs to much and you can't play it loud enough, without pissing off the neighbors. I love headphones because you can get audiophile level cans for under a G. To get audiophile speakers, you gotta spend a few thousand

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
I'm all about headphones. I have a cheap polk soundbar, but that's it for speakers. shyt costs to much and you can't play it loud enough, without pissing off the neighbors. I love headphones because you can get audiophile level cans for under a G. To get audiophile speakers, you gotta spend a few thousand
I picked up the 7.1 sony surround sound system during black friday week (The whole system including the receiver set me back about $700 iirc. Retail was over $1,000). It has completely changed the way I experience movies at home and especially games. Playing Destiny 2 I immediately heard the benefit. I have the Sony golds which have simulated surround sound. They're cool, but virtual surround doesn't offer the depth you get with a true surround sound set up. Now I can not only hear where sounds are coming from, I can also hear how far away they are. I've actually been thinking about building some acoustic panels for my living room (like the ones I built for my recording studio) to really tune the sound, but that's pretty overkill so I'm not rushing into it.
Even for me, headphones are a good option though since I normally game late at night after everyone has gone to bed. The sony golds and even the microsoft joints are good enough for the late night game sessions for now though. I've thought about looking into those astro headsets but then I see the price and would rather have a second xb1 or ps4 instead of a $200 or more headset. My wife games every now and then and these days the best co-op games are online co-op only which is whack as hell but it is what it is. We already destroyed the entire gears of war series together, other than that and diablo, the options for local co-op are really limited.

The G.O.D II

A ha ha
Supporter
Daps
I'll take the l for actually buying their studio wireless... Only did because it was on sale black Friday and it was Matte black :francis:

Legit contemplating on returning them if I can.

One of the worst purchases I’ve ever made. Can’t believe they charge 350 for that garbage. Sounds like I’m listening to a stereo speaker with tin cans