Best director in the film today?

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
Dude is kind of a director for hire, there is no common thread or signature style to any of his projects. Like how could black swan and Noah be the same guy?

That can be a great thing, right? It's what you could say sets him apart from other directors? :ld:

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
That can be a great thing, right? It's what you could say sets him apart from other directors? :ld:
Depending on the project perhaps, like I wouldn't want the wochowskis doing Malcolm x with a sci-fi twist. But in general not really, I think that's kind of the problem with a lot of these new directors no signature style that really separates them from peers. If your work is no different than the industry standard then why should I know your name again? And the thing is he's not a new cat but in recent years I see nothing in his work that says oh that's arnofpsky

Last edited:

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
Depending on the project perhaps, like I wouldn't want the wochowskis doing Malcolm x with a sci-fi twist. But in general not really, I think that's kind of the problem with a lot of these new directors no signature style that really separates them from peers. If your work is no different than the industry standard then why should I know your name again? And the thing is he's not a new cat but in recent years I see nothing in his work that says oh that's arnofpsky

Yeah, I see what you saying.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
based on talent he should really have been the GOAT, his trajectory between boogie nights and magnolia signaled something to behold. But catalogues matter and since magnolia he's got lost in his genius. Self indulgent project after self indulgent project is just one too many. I could appreciate the master but inherent vice, my gawd what the hell was that?

I can't fault Scorsese but I feel he has a ghost director helping him these days. All his peers and even younger cats like spike Lee have fallen off yet he's still going? How does an 80 year old get the know how to be so contemporary in his style for something like WOWS
To me the only problem with Inherent Vice was the pacing, it felt long just for the hell of it.

And Scorsese has always been with the times. He is a man who simply has such a deep and fundamental understanding of film that he can do anything. He has always taken advantage of the evolution of technology too, even if he did so less noticeably or on the nose as for instance a Spielberg.

Killigraphy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC black coffee tough guys aka the Stoozy Boys
Arronofsky and Nolan are batting 1.000 currently...

If Snyder had died after he directed Watchmen, I would've called him the greatest visionary of all time...but then came Sucker Punch.

However, to me, neither have done what George Miller did....he remade his fist classic film, and people loved it. To be sure, it is a masterpiece. But goddamn, he went from corny 80's action to some seriously badass moments in Fury Road. No one has ever done that as of now...so due to that, he's #1.

ciubaca

Superstar
Daps
greatest in film today and ppl saying it's fincher... His last movie was in 2014 and it was full of plot holes.

Shadow

Enjoy your life and loved ones.
Daps
Paul Thomas Anderson
The Coen Brothers
Wes Anderson
Spike Jonez
Quentin Tarantino
Guillermo Del Toro
Edgar Wright
Lars Von Trier
Gus Van Sant
David Lynch
Alfonso Cuaron
Alejandro Gonzalez Inarrritu
David Fincher

I still hold out hope for Tim Burton, M. Night Shyamalan and Sam Raimi because when they're on they're really good.

Last edited:

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
past 5 years it's definitely Villeneuve and not even close

xx001234448

Visual Storyteller
Daps
The greatest living filmmaker is Godard. But, of the last 20 years? Andrey Zvyagintsev so far(IMHO)