Been stuck on a weight too long... how to overcome it?

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
I thought of doing that but I'm already trying to lose some fat. Still got somewhat of a belly lol
U are not gonna be able to get stronger and lose weight.......................

I would cut down and then start building strength. Just try and stay where you are with the lifts and cut

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
Been working out for 3 months.

In the first 2 months on dumbbell press I went from 25 to 50 but for the last month I been stuck on 50. I mean I was gradually moving up with ease but I've been stuck on this weight

My goal is mass and I usually do 3 sets of 8 reps. I tried 52.5 today and it went 5, 3, 1

Anybody got tips?
You need to switch up the resistance to shock your muscles.
So, you are doing high weight/low rep right now, and you've plateaued.
To shock your muscles, you don't have to change the exercise, but the weight/rep. Do low weight/high rep one week and medium weight/medium rep the next week. With lower weight, it is harder to get the intensity until you get into higher reps.
So if you can start with 10 lbs. dumbbells in each hand, do 20 reps. Then, go up to 15 lbs. dumbbells in each hand and do 20 reps.. Then, go up to 20 lbs. dumbbells in each hand and do 20 reps. Minimize the rest period to switching the dumbbells. You may end up not being able to complete the final 20 reps. Repeat this super set a couple of times.
If that's way too low, try starting at 15 lbs and do 20 reps. then go up to 20 lbs and do 20 reps, then go up to 25 lbs. and do 20 reps.

Then, on the medium weight week, start with 30 lbs. do 10 reps. then do 35 lbs. do 10 reps. then do 40 lbs. do 10 reps. Then go down in weight, do 40 lbs. do 10 reps. Do 35 lbs. and do 10 reps. Do 30 lbs. and do 10 reps. If these are too easy, try 12 reps per set.
The following week, do another low-weight/high rep sets. Here, you might want to change it up by doing 20 lbs. dumbbells to failure (do as many reps and it should be at least 20) in the first set. Then, 25 lbs to failure. Then 30 lbs to failure. Then go back down to 25 lbs. to failure, and then 20 lbs. to failure and then 15 lbs. to failure.

Then in the following week, you can do your high weight, low rep dumbbell presses.

AFRAM GLORY

Superstar
Daps
I did it, was able to do 4 reps at 55... couldn't do any at 60, was able to go back down (55, 50, 45) with no prob

You're in a great position to make newbie gains if you play your cards right. Outside of gear this will be the last time that you'll build quick muscle gains and be able to eat a decent amount of food without much fat gain.

I know you said you're trying to lose weight but you should be in strength/mass mode. Save the cut and aesthetics for later. Your workouts should be barbell centered with dumbbell and cable accessory exercises for isolation and unilateral strength/development

The fact that you've plateaud after 3 months is a sign that you not doing something right diet or sleep wise. Most newbies plateau at the 6 month to year mark with decent gains if they're eating and resting right.

Wise

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You're in a great position to make newbie gains if you play your cards right. Outside of gear this will be the last time that you'll build quick muscle gains and be able to eat a decent amount of food without much fat gain.

I know you said you're trying to lose weight but you should be in strength/mass mode. Save the cut and aesthetics for later. Your workouts should be barbell centered with dumbbell and cable accessory exercises for isolation and unilateral strength and unilateral development

The fact that you've plateaud after 3 months is a sign that you not doing something right diet or sleep wise. Most newbies plateau at the 6 month to year mark with decent gains if they're eating and resting right.

I'm all barbell, with maybe 1-2 exercises for cable. Legs are the only things I use machines for (I press 540 on that and I can still go way more... I was somewhere in the 200s when I started)

Cause I'm tryna lose weight I do 2200-2500 calories of food a day... I'm usually spot on with a gram of protein per body weight. I do 10-15 mins of running on the treadmill after every workout.

Stop treadmill? Increase calories?

AFRAM GLORY

Superstar
Daps
I'm all barbell, with maybe 1-2 exercises for cable. Legs are the only things I use machines for (I press 540 on that and I can still go way more... I was somewhere in the 200s when I started)

Cause I'm tryna lose weight I do 2200-2500 calories of food a day... I'm usually spot on with a gram of protein per body weight. I do 10-15 mins of running on the treadmill after every workout.

Stop treadmill? Increase calories?

I would incorporate low intensity cardio at the end of your workouts. Like 2-2.5 speed with 4-5 level incline for 15-25 minutes. Or use the stairmaster machine. No need to fry your cns so quick which is probably why you're having problems. How about 3kcals on workout days and 2-2200kcals on rest days?

Wise

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I would incorporate low intensity cardio at the end of your workouts. Like 2-2.5 speed with 4-5 level incline for 15-25 minutes. Or use the stairmaster machine. No need to fry your cns so quick which is probably why you're having problems. How about 3kcals on workout days and 2-2200kcals on rest days?

Lol i be doing 6.5 haha.

MIAlien

#FactsOnly
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wade County
I skimmed and didn't see anyone mention this, but I think you should focus on developing the other muscles involved in order to increase the DB press. So try to strengthen your triceps & shoulders. If you progress there, your bench press should increase. So make those a bigger focus.

And being at the same weight for a month isn't being stuck. It takes longer to progress once you've passed the beginner's stage.