Batman Returns Is a Weird Ass Movie

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
I watch Keaton's batman's and really have no fukking clue how anyone ever says he's / they are the best batmans.. Hell nah. I NEVER knew batman and his world to be like what was going on in those movies and I was a damn kid. Like none of that shyt was canon and it was campy as hell. Even when Kilmer came along and both Carey and Jones was hamming it all the way the fukk up, people were saying it fell off. I'm like "fell off?" By the time B&R was out, it was over.

I know they sold crazy money. But thank god Nolan had to do "grounded" batman. He had to go all the way to the other extreme, just to get people to buy in to batman in a real setting. Hopefully one day, we'll get the supernatural stuff in there and somehow get to Batman from the comics

PoorAndDangerous

Superstar
Daps
I watch Keaton's batman's and really have no fukking clue how anyone ever says he's / they are the best batmans.. Hell nah. I NEVER knew batman and his world to be like what was going on in those movies and I was a damn kid. Like none of that shyt was canon and it was campy as hell. Even when Kilmer came along and both Carey and Jones was hamming it all the way the fukk up, people were saying it fell off. I'm like "fell off?" By the time B&R was out, it was over.

I know they sold crazy money. But thank god Nolan had to do "grounded" batman. He had to go all the way to the other extreme, just to get people to buy in to batman in a real setting. Hopefully one day, we'll get the supernatural stuff in there and somehow get to Batman from the comics
I mean, I guess it just all hinges on whether you like Tim Burton's dark surrealist style. I absolutely love Batman '89 and Batman Returns. I legitimately think Devito put in an oscar caliber performance as penguin. I LOVE the styles of these movies, not to mention the fukking incredible danny elfman music scores. They are very different from the Nolan movies obviously.

MushroomX

Packers Stockholder
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wisconsin
DeVito was able to make you feel Penguin's pain, and how you felt sorry for his troubled life. At the end of the movie, his entire Circus Clown gang left him for dead... they weren't ready to go down for Penguin's cause, they abandoned him, just like his parents.

Then when he is bleeding out, and Penguin sees that Batman is Bruce Wayne, his face says it all... He doesn't give a shyt, he just wants to kill Batman for fukking up his plans. He pulls out the wrong umbrella and dies, dying in rage, and the sad part comes when Penguin's true friends... the Penguins come out to bury him into the water.

And as well, despite Catwoman still being alive... put yourself in Bruce's shoes. The girl who can UNDERSTAND you, not just as Bruce, but as Batman... is probably dead. Yet suddenly Bruce tells Alfred to stop, thinking he sees Catwoman, but really it's just a Cat. He takes it as something to remember her, as its clear by Keaton's face that Bruce feels alone because he lost that special person.

If you cut through all of the weird aesthetics, you can see that Batman Returns is a movie about Batman, Catwoman, Penguin being miserable people with their own problems; all three not fitting in with Gotham City. The whole entire movie is based on these folks being sad and lonely, needing acceptance or at least understanding.

My Girl is Bow Legged

JUST DO IT LIKE
Daps
If you cut through all of the weird aesthetics, you can see that Batman Returns is a movie about Batman, Catwoman, Penguin being miserable people with their own problems; all three not fitting in with Gotham City. The whole entire movie is based on these folks being sad and lonely, needing acceptance or at least understanding.
realest dialogue in the film was when penguin said "you're just jealous cause I'm a genuine freak and you have to wear a mask!" and batman said "you might be right" :mjcry:

also this version of catwoman was the only one I ever liked

you really felt for her as a character living this boring suppressed lifestyle and being shytted on by her boss. then she gets powers, starts living out her s&m fantasies and slowly starts losing her mind til she's too far gone at the end

every other incarnation of her is just some bad ass take no shyt thief shyt's boring

MushroomX

Packers Stockholder
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wisconsin
realest dialogue in the film was when penguin said "you're just jealous cause I'm a genuine freak and you have to wear a mask!" and batman said "you might be right" :mjcry:

also this version of catwoman was the only one I ever liked

you really felt for her as a character living this boring suppressed lifestyle and being shytted on by her boss. then she gets powers, starts living out her s&m fantasies and slowly starts losing her mind til she's too far gone at the end

every other incarnation of her is just some bad ass take no shyt thief shyt's boring

I felt like Catwoman didn't get powers, but a 2nd chance at life. However why she was going insane, is that she lived her life in this 'meek and orderly fashion'. So when she tried to do good, she got killed... and then coming home, she realized that she spent her whole entire life being 'Selina Kyle' and it was all for nothing. So the Catwoman was not just a repressed side, but a side that didn't follow order and Selina liked it... yet she yearn for Batman... because she understood he, like her, was hiding behind a mask.

And then at the party, Selina for a moment had the Equalness; not the Meek Selina nor the Catwoman; the woman she always wanted to be... until she found out Bruce was Batman... and her voice trembled as she realized that she would have to fight him and her ideal life was always a fantasy. That's why she snapped the whip at Bruce at the end, because she knew that she couldn't live that life. Not that she hated Batman, but when he got close, Selina pushed him away because it pains her.

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
I never watched the movie I don’t think I was even born yet, but I’ve been spoiled by the Nolan movies I don’t think I could sit through the early batman movies, even the most recent batman was really good, it’s like the Nolan movies and the last batman captured the aesthetic and energy of what a batman universe is like