Batman Forever "The Story Behind the surprise hit nobody really wanted"

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps

Peter Macgregor-Scott, producer:
Joel was in the Carolinas shooting The Client. I go to see Joel on set and got Tommy Lee [Jones] and all of his principle actors working. Tommy Lee and I were quite good friends. I'd done Under Siege and The Fugitive with him. And I remind him that he got the Academy Award for The Fugitive. "F— you" he said (laughs). He's a great guy. Difficult but wonderful. Later when we were working onBatman, I said to Joel, "Tommy would be a fantastic Harvey/Two-Face." He said, "Go get him." So I sent Tommy Lee the screenplay down in Texas, and two hours later, he calls me up and he says, "I don't get it." I said "Why don't you reread the f—king thing and remember that the Academy Award-winning actor Tommy Lee Jones is playing the f—king role!" And I hung the phone up. (Laughs.) A few hours later, he calls back and says, "OK, I'll do it." And then he got on a plane and flew into Burbank the next day, and we went to work. No management. No nonsense. The deal was obviously going to be worked out.

Schumacher: After Forever's success, I wanted to do The Dark Knight. It was going to be very dark. I remember going to the set of Face/Off and asking Nic Cage to play the Scarecrow. The studio, and I'm not sure the audience, was in a frame of mind to go too dark with Batman at that time. It's interesting how our culture has changed. How the socioeconomic, political culture makes it absolutely palatable to see Chris[Nolan]'s Batman — for instance, The Dark Knight Rises, which is such a comment on exactly what's happening. You might be able to track that on all the movies. Maybe Batman is one of those things like pi. It's the center of the universe.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/batman-forever-story-behind-surprise-802804

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Haven't seen it in forever (no pun intended) but it was cool when I was a kid

I was beyond (no pun intended) pissed that the tone was different than Burton's movies. I hated Val Kilmer's Batman as well.

It took me some years, but I've appreciated it more over time.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
this is when i realized i dont give a fukk about batman other than Keaton and BTAS:deadmanny:

Forever is just an annoying film. I can't watch more than 5 mins of any scene, shyt is just :scusthov:

I cannot sanction the buffoonery of these posts, brehs. Forever might not be on par with the Burton/Keaton flicks but it's still pretty good.

Optimus Prime

#AGGIEPRIDE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC A&T SU, Hornets, Panthers, North Carolina
Batman Forever blessed us with the greatest Jim Carrey story ever though:russ:
giphy.gif

"I was really looking forward to working with Tommy because he was a fantastic actor, and he still is. I love him. I mean, he's amazing. But he was a little crusty…I think he was just a little freaked out because Dumb and Dumber had come out on the same weekend as Cobb, and Cobb was his big swing for the fences--pardon the pun. And that didn't work out, and it freaked him out. I think it made him--I walked into a restaurant the night before our big scene in the Riddler's lair and the maître d said, 'You're working with Tommy Lee Jones, aren't you?' I said, 'I am.' He said, 'He's in the back corner.' I said, 'Oh, great. I'll go say hello.' And I went up to say hi and the blood drained from his face in such a way that I realized that I had become the face of his pain or something. And he got kind of shaking and hugged me and said, 'I hate you. I really don't like you.' And I was like, 'Wow, okay, what's going on, man?' And he said, 'I cannot sanction your buffoonery.'"

giphy.gif

Last edited: