Autonomous warfare dystopian nightmares AI targeting,t..US Gen'l: 1/2 of US military robotic, Brain warfare..Ender's Game? FLAMETHROWING ROBOTIC DOG!!

bnew

Veteran
Daps
This seems so obvious to me, but people who think they're going to get rich are blind to it.

They KNOW how slowly government moves, and they KNOW how powerful their technology is going to be and how fast it is growing, but rather than get serious about slowing things down or putting bumpers on progress while they think things through, they're literally just trying to accelerate as fast as possible without even being able to see what's around the bend in the road.

even if the U.S pauses development on A.i, do you think our lives wouldn't be effected by other countries continuing development of this technology?

GnauzBookOfRhymes

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This seems so obvious to me, but people who think they're going to get rich are blind to it.

They KNOW how slowly government moves, and they KNOW how powerful their technology is going to be and how fast it is growing, but rather than get serious about slowing things down or putting bumpers on progress while they think things through, they're literally just trying to accelerate as fast as possible without even being able to see what's around the bend in the road.

The problem is that the technology is too cheap to really stop.

In the past, really dangerous emerging technologies like nuclear weapons, germ/bio warfare, genetic engineering were so expensive to weaponize that as long as most governments were on board, the spread could be somewhat contained.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
even if the U.S pauses development on A.i, do you think our lives wouldn't be effected by other countries continuing development of this technology?

The problem is that the technology is too cheap to really stop.

In the past, really dangerous emerging technologies like nuclear weapons, germ/bio warfare, genetic engineering were so expensive to weaponize that as long as most governments were on board, the spread could be somewhat contained.

We keep seeing one major breakthrough after another being made by American researchers, long before they would have been made outside the USA. At the very least, people concerned with safety and human welfare over mere profits could stayed away from jumping into the commercial sector immediately and instead taken advantage of those breakthroughs to develop robust alignment and countermeasures to bad actors. But they're rushing into proliferation and mass distribution instead, ensuring that the bad actors will have access to the tech before we've even figured out how to keep it in check.

Also, a lot of the negative societal impacts that will come from putting AI in the hands of capitalists could be delayed significantly by government regulation.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
We keep seeing one major breakthrough after another being made by American researchers, long before they would have been made outside the USA. At the very least, people concerned with safety and human welfare over mere profits could stayed away from jumping into the commercial sector immediately and instead taken advantage of those breakthroughs to develop robust alignment and countermeasures to bad actors. But they're rushing into proliferation and mass distribution instead, ensuring that the bad actors will have access to the tech before we've even figured out how to keep it in check.

Also, a lot of the negative societal impacts that will come from putting AI in the hands of capitalists could be delayed significantly by government regulation.
look at a lot of the names of the authors putting out AI research. a lot of them are chinese surnames, many doing research from institutes in china.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
look at a lot of the names of the authors putting out AI research. a lot of them are chinese surnames, many doing research from institutes in china.

I'm not talking about general research that can be done by anyone, I'm talking about the big leaps forward that have made new technologies possible. The work of Hinton and his collaborators at UC San Diego and later Google, the invention of Generative Adversarial Networks by Goodfellow and company at Google, the "Attention is All You Need" crew that invented transformers at Google, the development of really meaningful image (Dall-E) and text (ChatGDP) generators by Open AI.

Those are the leaps that have really accelerated the timeline for AI, and all of them have taken play in the USA and Canada.

The mention of Hinton there is poignant, as Hinton now regrets some of the work he did and believes the further development of AI represents a serious threat. I get the feeling that Sutskever will soon feel that way as well, as will Goodfellow and many others. But the unapologetic capitalists like Altman and Musk? I doubt they ever will.