Australian billionaire CEO wants to eliminate remote work and hold employees captive at office

xXOGLEGENDXx

Superstar
Daps
That is a direct quote.

Aussie billionaire boss' 'forbidden' coffee break claim: 'Hold them captive'

Mineral Resources boss Chris Ellison said he doesn’t want staff “leaving the building” and has banned work from home.​

Tamika Seeto
Tamika Seeto
·Finance Reporter
Updated Thu 29 August 2024 at 10:50 pm GMT-4·3-min read

Chris Ellison Mineral Resources

Mineral Resources managing director Chris Ellison said he wants staff to be kept in the office "all day long". (Source: Getty/Mineral Resources)
An Aussie billionaire mining boss has copped criticism after he revealed he wants to keep workers “captive all day” and doesn’t even want them to leave the building for a cup of coffee. Mineral Resources managing director Chris Ellison made the divisive claims during a financial results presentation this week.

Ellison, who has banned working from home, said the company’s head office in Perth introduced “a lot of different benefits” to keep staff “glued” in the office. HR expert Lara Nercessian told Yahoo Finance that Ellison’s comments weren’t promoting the right kind of workplace culture and behaviours.

“I get them first thing in the morning, I want to hold them captive all day long. I don't want them leaving the building,” Ellison said.

"I don't want them walking down the road for a cup of coffee. We kind of figured out a few years ago how much that costs, wandering out around lunchtime.”

Some changes designed to keep people on site include a restaurant and cafe, a fitness centre and a $ 20-a-day childcare centre for staff to “drop their little tykes off next door”.

Nercessian warned work perks were not enough.

“If you want to remain competitive in the employer market, then I think that there needs to be a level of maturity and trust with your employees,” she said.
“I think that if there are performance issues, they need to be dealt with separately. I see this play out quite a bit where people do tend to tangle up ways of working with performance.”

During the presentation, Ellison, who made $6 million last year, said employees leaving the office cost the mining firm too much money.

Timestamped

WhereIsTheLove

All Star
Bushed
Daps
wfh will be phased ou by next summer. Grown men will have to return to the office and actually.....WORK!