At what times do you drink your protein shake?

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
All you need is to make sure you get the amount of grams a day = to how much you weigh in pounds.

So I'm 180 pounds so I should intake 180 grams of protein. That is, if you want gains.

honestly this is the only thing I've never quite understood

so if you were cutting and trying to get down to 170, what would your protein intake be???

Dooby

إن شاء الله
Daps
I've got a big bag of protein shake that's been sitting in storage. I went through the first bag without any real results. EAS chocolate that I bought from BJ's Wholesale. (I hate that their name is BJ's).Tastes good.
I bought egg-based protein shake mix from GNC. That tasted awful. They gave me a refund for returning it though.

People treat the protein shake as secret muscle forming powder. It just boosts the extra protein you need to hit the amount you need in order to bulk up. You can go without protein shakes as long as you make sure you're getting as much as you need through other means.

Kal El

All Star
Daps
Reppin
USA
Doing IF right now.. always take one pre-workout. Take one post w/o if I'm struggling to hit my protein goal for the day.

GoFlipAPack

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
All you need is to make sure you get the amount of grams a day = to how much you weigh in pounds.

So I'm 180 pounds so I should intake 180 grams of protein. That is, if you want gains.

So your saying i should take in 200 grams of protein a day since I weigh 200lbs?? I was told After about 50-60 grams your body has a hard time absorbing that protein

DrunkenNovice

Superstar
Daps
honestly this is the only thing I've never quite understood

so if you were cutting and trying to get down to 170, what would your protein intake be???

My understanding is that you still want your protein intake to be atleast your lean body weight.

Your body burns carb>fat>protein for energy, and during the cut your goal is to lose as little muscle as possible

Actually this is a good question. Y'all still taking protein on days you aren't working out?

I do. why wouldnt you?

vidyagamer

Rookie
Daps
I do. why wouldnt you?

Good point. I tend to take my protein post workout, so I don't really think of it on non-workout days, and I try to get a lot of protein in my meals (A lot of tuna/fish/eggwhites/chicken) but it's a good idea and I probably should be...

TYBG

Ditty Dum Ditty Doo
Supporter
Daps
After every workout. If I feel like it or remember, before workout and/or before sleep.

AlphaOne

OFT XI E Squad
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Icey / XO
So your saying i should take in 200 grams of protein a day since I weigh 200lbs?? I was told After about 50-60 grams your body has a hard time absorbing that protein
More than 50-60 grams at one time is said to be useless. But throughout the day you're supposed to take in at least 1 gram of protein for every lean mass pound you weigh.

Daps
Reppin
SoFla
50 grams of whey first thing in the morning after waking up

50 grams of whey post workout

30 grams of casein in a glass of milk before bed

Roid Jones

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Nah breh, you have to find your lean body mass and then calculate that by 1-1.5