At some schools there replacing textbooks with Ipads

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I think schools should be able to just give children copies of each chapter instead of the entire book anyway. Less books to print out, less to buy for students and no fukks are given if they lose the copy.

I like the idea of a textbook being available in "e" format though but what about if a child wants to study at home? Are they sending them home with each child in hopes it doesn't get fukked up or is it for school use only?

rantanamo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think schools should be able to just give children copies of each chapter instead of the entire book anyway. Less books to print out, less to buy for students and no fukks are given if they lose the copy.

I like the idea of a textbook being available in "e" format though but what about if a child wants to study at home? Are they sending them home with each child in hopes it doesn't get fukked up or is it for school use only?

when a book is in "e" format, at least on Amazon or Nook, they are available to your account. So you can open them on any device that you can open their account on which is pretty much anything with a web browser, or with an app on any phone or tablet. Still, giving them the device at the beginning of their school career and letting them take it home and do as they like with it is(even replacing broken devices) is cheaper than textbooks. College textbooks are cheap in comparison to the large texts that are used in primary and secondary education. This would save huge money on paper, on printing, on books, on writing utensils.

rantanamo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've seen this argument using the Apple's system that it would still be more expensive than paper textbooks. Particularly when the Ipad first came out. First of all, you don't need Ipads. There are simply cheaper, more powerful tablets out there. Second, you don't have to use Apple's books(which the government deemed overpriced) to make this work. Amazon and Nook even have rentals as well, which are cheaper for one book than Apple's bulk rate. Some publishers have even taken this on themselves. I was talking to a professor who is prolific textbook writer about this. He said this is a huge debate right now with contracts and publishers. Sort of like when mp3s and AACs and the apple store came out. Lots of systems out there jockeying to be big etextbook providers. He thinks this can be the great equalizer in this country's education system because of their cheapness, portability and the ability to cater to different learning styles despite the teacher. They can also build in tutoring to these systems and even have different test preparation programs built in. He thinks they will be cheap enough to even provide cellular access instead of worrying about everyone having internet. He expects a big backlash from traditionalists though.

IronFist

⛩️ 18 Arhat ⛩️
Supporter
Daps
school and its curriclum has changed drastically. children are getting laptops/ipads...........there is even a thing called smartboards i believe they have incorporated in my city....makes me think about where the hands-on teaching process is going