Ask Me Anything - unit321

TL15

Veteran
Daps
@unit321

Good thread

You mentioned that you never turned in any cops, did you see any behavior that should have been reported that you turned a blind eye to?

Were the white officers you were around on that :mjpls: or did you see fairness overall?

What is your personal take on the officer behavior in all of the public cases: Eric Gardner, Mike Brown, Ole boy in South Carolina, etc.?

SupaHotIce

All Star
Daps
Pre-answered questions to get things going. :manny:
1. Are you white? No.
are you black? :mjpls:

giphy.gif

Lana del Rey

Only the ocean can separate us....
Daps
Reppin
Atl
Do yall eat donuts and drink coffee like in the movies??? I'm serious...

:lupe:

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
How long were you an officer? Why did you leave?
Did your department emphasize community policing or broken windows policies during your tenure? If so, what was the attitude of the officers toward the policy and what kind of reaction did you get from the community? What did you think of the policy?

What law enforcement policies and practices (at the dept level and at the national level) do you think would be beneficial to communities?
3 and 1/2 years.
Things didn't work out, I went on to work at the same county as a deputy with the Sheriff's Office.
Most police departments promote aspects of community policing and teach on broken windows. Most officers were for community policing. We had a special community policing unit where there were officers who were assigned to particular neighborhoods. Usually, community policing was well received by those who wanted violent crimes to decrease in their neighborhood. I thought the policy was good. You can't control what criminals do, but you can try to push it out of a neighborhood, which usually means the criminals will go to another neighborhood where police activity is low.

Our department level policies were all fine. No department is perfect, and usually, it's not the department who is the problem but problem officers. There were some officers who got terminated for doing the wrong thing. I know one dude got arrested, convicted and sent off to prison for years.

National level policies? Well, it is hard to push certain things that one police department does to every department, like body cams. Why? Money and time. Cities and counties who have more money in their budget can implement things better. It's not size, but budget. A big city can have a ton of internal problems even with a big budget. A small town can have a ton of internal problems because they have a small budget.
But, one thing I think would be good to promote across the board is constant training in defensive tactics. All the situations where multiple officers gang up on one subject has a bad look. You really only need to one to three officers to take down a non-cooperative unarmed subject. If you have the proper training and practice it regularly, then you won't need to resort to brute force beat downs. Then, if you use the jiu-jitsu and aikido based defensive tactics, it won't matter if the cop gets secretly recorded on video by a by-stander or gets seen by a crowd, because it will be evident that the officer used proper technique to get a subject under control.

ProfessionallyTrill

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL
As a former officer do you empathize with trigger happy police officers that are hyper sensitive to Black people? Do you feel that white officers feel Blacks are an added threat compared to white criminals?

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
Do yall eat donuts and drink coffee like in the movies??? I'm serious...
Yes and no. I stayed off donuts but drank coffee.
The police population is much like the general population. You have obese cops on the one end, and Olympic athlete cops on the other end. A majority are in between.

Lana del Rey

Only the ocean can separate us....
Daps
Reppin
Atl
Yes and no. I stayed off donuts but drank coffee.
The police population is much like the general population. You have obese cops on the one end, and Olympic athlete cops on the other end. A majority are in between.

Thanks for answering my question dude :ehh:

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
As a former officer do you empathize with trigger happy police officers that are hyper sensitive to Black people? Do you feel that white officers feel Blacks are an added threat compared to white criminals?
No, I don't empathize with trigger happy police officers. If they aren't reacting according to training, then they aren't doing the right thing. But, I don't empathize with subjects who blatantly disobey police commands.
I can't speak on what a white officer thinks. Me, I treated everyone the same, black, white, Asian or Hispanic when it comes to threat assessment. So much so, that this white dude complained to my field training officer that I wasn't being "nice" and treating him like he was too much of a threat. Well, it turns out the dude had a previous history of assaulting a cop, and my FTO brought that up, which ended that convo and complaint.

Lil Big Daddy

Self made King
Daps
Reppin
Black folk
@unit321 :pacspit: atcho bytchass a million times fakkit. get the fukk in here right now nikka. You want some questions i got some fukkin questions bruh.

I know damn well that u saw, and KNEW, that yo cac coworkers like to fukk nikkas over n harass nikkass n beat nikkas ass, and n yeen do shyt whenever you witnessed it, did you :demonic:
get the fukk in here bruh

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
@unit321 atcho bytchass a million times fakkit. get the fukk in here right now nikka. You want some questions i got some fukkin questions bruh.
I know damn well that u saw, and KNEW, that yo cac coworkers like to fukk nikkas over n harass nikkass n beat nikkas ass, and n yeen do shyt whenever you witnessed it, did you get the fukk in here bruh
Harass? No. We could stop and talk to a subject. Nothing illegal about that.
Beat people? No. If we were assaulted, then we would take appropriate response to stop the aggressive action.
I never witnessed anything illegal being done.