As children, are we obligated to take care of our parents?

Chris.B

Banned
Daps
Yes...

Can't let my old folks rot away...can't even live with myself

All Knowledge

Speak up...
Daps
Reppin
Belo Horizante
Always and of course. I wouldn't imagine it any other way. In fact, my main motivation for success is to be able to care for my mother and father as they age to a point where they can't support themselves -whether it be health or monetary. I also do it for the kids (future children) -as in setting a good example, because I damn sure expect the same to do the same for me. We live in a society where the sick aren't elderly aren't valued -especially older black people, so I'd be damned if my mom or dad live their last years wallowing in a nursing home. :ld:

Bad/Absent parents aside...simply because I didn't have to deal with that shyt. But I understand how that may be someones reality, which explains your feelings towards caring for an elder in their twilight years.

Sonic Boom of the South

Louisiana, Army War Vet, Jackson State Univ Alum,
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rosenbreg's, Rosenberg's...1825, Tulane
I feel like yes if they took care of you and made sacrificing for you. I feel obligated. Even if we didn't have the best of relationships I still couldn't leave them in a bad situation. I am talking about with health issues, money is a whole different ball game. I know some people whose parents are draining them dry because of their financial irresponsibility. I think that is a selfish burden to put on your kids.

My grandmother has Alzheimer's right now she is akin to a toddler(strength of an adult), but instead of having the capacity to learn she is regressing. Almost everything has to be done, and it is always a fight because she doesn't understand we are just trying to take care of her. My moms parents had six children, only 2 doing anything. My mother is making the most sacrifice and I took a leave of absence to help her M-F. She was the most independent out of all the kids. She didn't ask her parents for anything. Yet the children that my Memommie did the most for are ghost. I can't wait for that Karma... How selfish can you be to just abandon your own mother who took care of you...

but you werent there to know the whole story tho

My father's mom was loved by everyone but i fukking hate that bytch and hope she is buring in hell right now because of the treatment i received from her

Last edited:

Raava

Staff member
Daps
but you went there to know the whole story tho

My father's mom was loved by everyone but i fukking hate that bytch and hope she is buring in hell right now because of the treatment i received from her

I know they don't hate her, they have said as much themselves. They love so much her supposedly. They have all the promises and ideas in the world for what to do with her and her care. They want to give suggestions but don't want to do the work. Too busy, or too depressed, or in denial, blah blah blah all excuses. I wasn't there but I have heard all the stories from the horses mouth. The main offender... I am not even going to go there. They are just sorry and selfish.

Sonic Boom of the South

Louisiana, Army War Vet, Jackson State Univ Alum,
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rosenbreg's, Rosenberg's...1825, Tulane
I know they don't hate her, they have said as much themselves. They love so much her supposedly. They have all the promises and ideas in the world for what to do with her and her care. They want to give suggestions but don't want to do the work. Too busy, or too depressed, or in denial, blah blah blah all excuses. I wasn't there but I have heard all the stories from the horses mouth. The main offender... I am not even going to go there. They are just sorry and selfish.
i feel you

the same happened with my mom's mom

my mom ended up doing everything for her and the other 12 kids didnt do shyt

one of my aunts even stole the money my Gmom received after Katrina to repair her house

but my Grandfather beat all of them as kids and tortured them so i just assumed they took that out on my gmom

Deadpool1986

Cook with a Mouth
Daps
Reppin
#midnightboyz/ #Neggas-Black & White/ #TNT
I feel like yes if they took care of you and made sacrificing for you. I feel obligated. Even if we didn't have the best of relationships I still couldn't leave them in a bad situation. I am talking about with health issues, money is a whole different ball game. I know some people whose parents are draining them dry because of their financial irresponsibility. I think that is a selfish burden to put on your kids.

My grandmother has Alzheimer's right now she is akin to a toddler(strength of an adult), but instead of having the capacity to learn she is regressing. Almost everything has to be done, and it is always a fight because she doesn't understand we are just trying to take care of her. My moms parents had six children, only 2 doing anything. My mother is making the most sacrifice and I took a leave of absence to help her M-F. She was the most independent out of all the kids. She didn't ask her parents for anything. Yet the children that my Memommie did the most for are ghost. I can't wait for that Karma... How selfish can you be to just abandon your own mother who took care of you...

Sounds like me and my sister.

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
I was listening to this show on 93.5 FM here in NJ (Link Up radio Fatta Diamond and crew) and they was discussing if children should be "obligated" ...keyword obligated ....to take care of their parents just because or should it be a "choice" ...keyword choice....to take care of your parents. Couple people chimed in and was like it says in bible to honor your mother and father blah blah blah and you must take of parents .....other people was like bullshyt because nature has taught us how to take care of our parents meaning you dont see animals taking care of their parents but rather they cast them old nikkas to the side and make room for the young bucks....I was like cotdamn thats cold....

Thoughts?
Yes you are obligated

Raava

Staff member
Daps
i feel you

the same happened with my mom's mom

my mom ended up doing everything for her and the other 12 kids didnt do shyt

one of my aunts even stole the money my Gmom received after Katrina to repair her house

but my Grandfather beat all of them as kids and tortured them so i just assumed they took that out on my gmom

My aunt is the most selfish self centered person ever. My grandparents bought her a house cash, all she had to do was pay the insurance. She let is lapse, then the house caught on fire, not even bad, she just walked away from it. Their whole investment down the drain. She has stolen money and took advantage of my Gma when she first started showing signs of the disease. Having her go get her money, putting cars and credit cards in her name, and having her sign off on stuff.

She didn't abuse them.

Sounds like me and my sister.

Sorry that you have to go through it. It is really sad. It is like where would you have been if your parents treated you like you are treating them in their time of need.