Article: The top streamed TV shows are almost all older TV show. Why is that?

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
This is a great response comparing the original CW "Gossip Girl" series vs the HBO MAX remake series:

:mjlol: They not lying about the casting. All the females on the original series were attractive & looked the part. I never watched an episode of the remake, but seeing the cast in the commercials was a complete turn off.

@MikelArteta @Ozymandeas @Bigbigguy @daemonova @hostsamurai

BlackAchilles

Veteran
Daps
This is a great response comparing the original CW "Gossip Girl" series vs the HBO MAX remake series:

:mjlol: They not lying about the casting. All the females on the original series were attractive & looked the part. I never watched an episode of the remake, but seeing the cast in the commercials was a complete turn off.

"Checking DEI boxes" huh :mjpls:

JNew

Superstar
Daps
Tv shows pre streaming services actually had to be good, use what was available and still be able to make a profit.

There are still just as many bad shows from the cable era. But nowadays shows are made just to fill up streaming service catalogs. The shows weren’t some bloated story trying to be a movie with tv writers. Now we have countless shows that appeal to a limited audience for subscription. How many people Subscribe to a service for jus one show?

Even reality tv peaked in late 2000s now it’s unbearable to watch.

The last good tv show I’ve seen has been breaking bad.

Marks

as a mountain
Daps
Uh. A lot of those shows from the 90s and 2000s have aged better. They were focused on telling a story as opposed to being trendy.
Nah they were absolutely trying to be trendy. The issue is back then it feels like even our "trash" media still had a lot of obvious time, care and thought put into it.
Feels like there just so little thought and care in most films and tv rn between shyt like rampant cgi and algorithm making creative decisions etc

JNew

Superstar
Daps
Nah they were absolutely trying to be trendy. The issue is back then it feels like even our "trash" media still had a lot of obvious time, care and thought put into it.
Feels like there just so little thought and care in most films and tv rn between shyt like rampant cgi and algorithm making creative decisions etc

Yep back then if a show knew it was bad it was going all in on the BS so at least it was entertaining.

Shows now try way too hard to be epic at all cost and lose their entertainment value and become mellow depressing stories that become a chore to get through jus for sake of finishing the story.

Raw Sauce

Superstar
Daps
I think one of the biggest things is that older shows tended to be stronger from an episodic perspective. You can just drop in anywhere in the series (hell even within an episode) and still be able to follow what's happening, so in that sense they're endlessly rewatchable and make for great background viewing. Serialized formats on the other hand require a much higher time and attention commitment. Serialized television can be amazing but it's used far too often when an episodic approach would've worked better.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4

i tried the new one and it was garbage