Are There Any Black American Religions?

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
anyone's family member apart of these ^^^^^

I was raised in a interfaith household. I spent my time in both growing up and even now.

My maternal side (one side of them) are Black Spiritualist/Black Jews (Black Nationalist focused - but not to be confused with the Hebrew Israelites Movement) --- and the rest and all other sides and branches are AME.

https://www.thecoli.com/threads/black-aa-spiritualist-churches-and-temples.676725/

My paternal side is Baptist and AME.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
I was raised in a interfaith household. I spent my time in both growing up and even now.

My maternal side (one side of them) are Black Spiritualist/Black Jews (Black Nationalist focused - but not to be confused with the Hebrew Israelites Movement) --- and the rest and all other sides and branches are AME.

https://www.thecoli.com/threads/black-aa-spiritualist-churches-and-temples.676725/

My paternal side is Baptist and AME.

Baptist and AME is what the majority of my father's people are

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
71YjQHBRS8L.jpg

GoAggieGo.

getting blitzed.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
United House of Prayer for all Peoples

51VInG9T97L._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The Nation of Nuwaubians

SPLC-Intelligence-Files-Groups-Nuwaubian-Nation-of-Moors-1280x720.jpg

The Protestant African Episcopal Church - the church I was brought up in.

Absalom-Jones_Peale.jpg

51O8WVd78dL._SX314_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Daddy Grace.

There’s a huge church that follows that faith right outside the campus of A&T. I never attended a service, but I have some friends who went. I know they always kept the college kids fed.

I grew up in a Baptist home, and that’s what most of my family follows, both paternal and maternal. Girl I used to mess with is AME, and I attended her church a few times. I enjoyed it

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Also the British Methodist Episcopal Church of Canada. It was the Canadian Branch of the AME church servicing free blacks and escape slaves that made it to Canada via the Underground Railroad. A direct ancestor of mine was made Bishop over the church during the 1880’s.

AME is global

Qfto87m.jpg

EUQwUdC.png

The African Methodist Episcopal Church, usually called the A.M.E. Church or AME, is a predominantly African-American Methodist denomination. It is the first independent Protestant denomination to be founded by black people.[4] It was founded by the Rt. Rev. Richard Allen in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in 1816 from several black Methodist congregations in the mid-Atlantic area that wanted independence from white Methodists. It was among the first denominations in the United States to be founded on racial rather than theological distinctions and has persistently advocated for the civil and human rights of African Americans through social improvement, religious autonomy, and political engagement.

extra info

FIp3w2W.jpg

Q3RUe6q.jpg

A few others
1eN3S1K.jpg

The African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church, or the AME Zion Church or AMEZ, is a historically African-American Christian denomination based in the United States. It was officially formed in 1821 in New York City, but operated for a number of years before then.

U9pZOuY.jpg

Historic First Bryan Baptist Church is an African-American church that was organized in Savannah, Georgia, by Andrew Bryan in 1788. Considered to be the Mother Church of Black Baptist, the site was purchased in 1793 by Bryan, a former slave who had also purchased his freedom. The first structure was erected there in 1794. By 1800 the congregation was large enough to split: those at Bryan Street took the name of First African Baptist Church, and Second and Third African Baptist churches were also established.[2] The current sanctuary of First Bryan Baptist Church was constructed in 1873.

^^the last one posted was imported to jamaica

Andrew Bryan (1737–1812) founded First Bryan Baptist Church,[1] affectionately called the Mother Church of Black Baptists, and First African Baptist Church of Savannah in Savannah, Georgia,[2][3] the first black Baptist churches to be established in America.[4] Bryan was the former slave of Jonathan Bryan.[5]

Andrew Bryan was born in 1737 in Goose Creek, South Carolina, to slave parents. He married a woman named Hannah. Bryan converted to Christianity through the preaching of George Liele. After Liele left Savannah for a mission to Jamaica, Bryan began to preach. He was imprisoned twice for preaching to slaves, but he continued to do so. He was also severely whipped, but was noted for enduring the suffering as Jesus Christ had done.[6] Bryan established the church which would eventually become known as First African Baptist Church, and it grew from sixty-nine members in 1788 to about seven hundred by 1800.[7]

...and would give birth to the climate that would birth Rastas

1yG6M2s.jpg

GpWKbHA.jpg

AuLhv4B.jpg

0NyNYNd.jpg

Last edited:

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
it seems like the hoodoo thing is not a complete religion. all my relatives that did it were also either christian or NOI while doing hoodoo on the side for practical reasons

invalid

Banned
Daps
...but I was reading some obituaries from my maternal grandma's side (the same people in the above post) and many later became part of United House of Prayer

your people were part of the UHOP, too? :gladbron:

my people still involved, i got a relative that’s on the radar to be a candidate for the next “Sweet Daddy”. :mjlol: