Are old MacBooks worth it?

Pure Water

Superstar
Daps
I'm not paying that much breh lol.

She has an iPhone (older one). She's 23 but has a couple of kids and wants to do remote customer service work. My other niece has a job that does that and could get her on.

Since she has an iPhone it would pair well with a MacBook...or does it matter? I built my desktop but other than my work laptop, I've never used or had one.

Her job should supply her with a computer right? I work from home and they gave me every damn thing. I'm an Analyst though, but even the people in our customer service department were given computers to do their job.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Her job should supply her with a computer right? I work from home and they gave me every damn thing. I'm an Analyst though, but even the people in our customer service department were given computers to do their job.
I didn't even think of that...yes they should.

That said, she still needs a laptop just to apply for jobs in the first place.

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Her mother is a drug addict that spends her money on body parts.

And my brother is a hobosexual. Dude hasn't had a steady job in almost 20 years. His kids have always call and text me for fathers day. Didn't even show up for Thanksgiving.

damn :picard:
Kudos to you for being a positive role model in her life:ehh:

Also you're leaning towards getting her an M1 Mac, try getting a refurbished one from backmarket.com.

I got a used iPhone for my ex on there as well as a an Apple Watch more recently. The Apple Watch was practically brand new with all the original packaging, but saved me at least a couple hundred

Doin2Much Williams

Grace Under Fiyah
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Insignificant posting from an insignificant poster
I honestly don't know how you're still using that 2010 Mac. My 2012 MacBook Pro with 16gb of RAM and a SSD was getting slow as hell and the battery life was abysmal. My M1 air runs circles around it and last up to 4-5 days with moderate use.

I don't either fam.

But it stays in my bathroom and has been in there for the past 7 years (i don't tote it around with me like most people do, so it stays plugged in - battery life is around one hour on a good day). It's extremely slow and laggy as hell. Can't even listen to music/i-tunes and browse simultaenously without the screen freezing intermittently and sound cutting off. LOL! I have a high tolerence for bullshiit, as you can see (explains how i dealt with crazy ex during covid, i'm a gluton for anxiety).

Short story short, All i do is scroll nike talk and The Coli and is only being used when i take a numero dos (i can't even go on most sites because it says the time/date is off and i'm not savvy enough to fix it).

I can't order/buy things from the ipad and macbook 2010 because they're so outdated, i risk being hacked doing so. lol.

Negro Caesar

Superstar
Daps
I'm not paying that much breh lol.

She has an iPhone (older one). She's 23 but has a couple of kids and wants to do remote customer service work. My other niece has a job that does that and could get her on.

Since she has an iPhone it would pair well with a MacBook...or does it matter? I built my desktop but other than my work laptop, I've never used or had one.
I’d get her something newer honestly if it’s for work. If that’s all she got then it is what it is. But what if that old laptop ain’t running at the speeds she needs to do her job at the best of her ability

breakfuss

#SHAMBLES
Supporter
Daps
damn :picard:
Kudos to you for being a positive role model in her life:ehh:

Also you're leaning towards getting her an M1 Mac, try getting a refurbished one from backmarket.com.

I got a used iPhone for my ex on there as well as a an Apple Watch more recently. The Apple Watch was practically brand new with all the original packaging, but saved me at least a couple hundred
Yea, knowing the circumstances changed what I was going to originally recommend. I'm just weird about buying pre-owned hardware like this. Refurbished I could do though.

OP, salute to you, man. You a solid dude for this. I was going to suggest going with an MBA since they're substantially cheaper and regularly on sale. But if the budget is rigid I understand. Yea the synergy between apple products is dope - everything just fukking works and syncs flawlessly. And the hardware is supremely built, which is why they don't depreciate as quickly in resale value. But if this is exclusively for work I'd ask her if she's open to a Windows equivalent. I'm on Best Buy's open box section now looking at laptops but it doesn't help if we don't live in the same area lmao. Amazon Warehouse Deals also has reduced prices and often those products haven't even been opened (dented boxes, customer refusals etc).

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Yea, knowing the circumstances changed what I was going to originally recommend. I'm just weird about buying pre-owned hardware like this. Refurbished I could do though.

OP, salute to you, man. You a solid dude for this. I was going to suggest going with an MBA since they're substantially cheaper and regularly on sale. But if the budget is rigid I understand. Yea the synergy between apple products is dope - everything just fukking works and syncs flawlessly. And the hardware is supremely built, which is why they don't depreciate as quickly in resale value. But if this is exclusively for work I'd ask her if she's open to a Windows equivalent. I'm on Best Buy's open box section now looking at laptops but it doesn't help if we don't live in the same area lmao. Amazon Warehouse Deals also has reduced prices and often those products haven't even been opened (dented boxes, customer refusals etc).
What is an MBA laptop?