Arcadium, put me onto Shin Megami Tensei/Persona, where should I start?

Cuban Pete

Aka 305DeadCounty
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY MONOPOLY
At this point Persona & SMT offering different experiences despite persona being a spin off from SMT.

SMT you want a tougher gameplay focused experience. Story isn’t a giant focus but games like Nocturne this can be an overlooked aspect.

Meanwhile persona is for story and characters. Since the gameplay difficulty is a joke. But note it has a sizable time commitment.

Theres no slice of life stuff in SMT is what other posters have said in here. All Ive gathered so far is that SMT is harder, and you roll around with a party of demons from dungeon to dungeon while Persona has dungeons but you also have to go to school and do sidequests?

Which one has better combat? Dude on YouTube said this franchise is basically Pokemon with demons for insane people :dead:

Sounds right up my alley :mjlit:

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
Played 5 for the first time during Covid :whew: that shyt was basically TV for me for a while, so much plot and side shyt to work on

Your game better be tight if you wanna fukk on the hoes you actually want :ufdup:

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Played 5 for the first time during Covid :whew: that shyt was basically TV for me for a while, so much plot and side shyt to work on

Your game better be tight if you wanna fukk on the hoes you actually want :ufdup:

Yeah trying out P5 Royal during Covid was :wow: for me. I beat that long ass game on both PS4 and then again on Series X.

Was halfway through P4 Golden on PC during covid as well but had the big plot twist spoiled for me and I put it down :mjcry:

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
Yeah trying out P5 Royal during Covid was :wow: for me. I beat that long ass game on both PS4 and then again on Series X.

Was halfway through P4 Golden on PC during covid as well but had the big plot twist spoiled for me and I put it down :mjcry:
Haven't played 4 or 3 but I got a whole month until my next work project starts so I might dig in again

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
Theres no slice of life stuff in SMT is what other posters have said in here. All Ive gathered so far is that SMT is harder, and you roll around with a party of demons from dungeon to dungeon while Persona has dungeons but you also have to go to school and do sidequests?

Which one has better combat? Dude on YouTube said this franchise is basically Pokemon with demons for insane people :dead:

Combat fundamentals are the same in both games. However, SMT especially early game challenges you to a good degree and even more if you play on hard. Though Pre SMT IV games are noticeably harder than the modern ones. I tried playing Nocturne on hard and had to dive to normal because that was some Sadist shyt. SMT V was manageable on hard, but man early game was brutal for me. It stayed a challenge until I beat the super boss

Persona 3 Reload and 5 Royal after like the 2nd boss, the difficulty of the game were a joke even on merciless.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County

The gameplay is pretty similar, it's just that SMT is harder and less forgiving. Persona is a weenie hut jr version, and it's gameplay takes a huge back seat to it's story

SMT places most of it's focus on it's gameplay, its like the dark souls of turn based RPGs, most of your time is spent trying to figure out how to beat the next boss and formulating strategies instead of story