Apple forcing Macbook to use ICloud. I am DONE with them.

Charlie Hustle

Light Bringer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sin City
Turn off your network and try and change your password:hhh::picard:

Are you on sonoma 4.5?
I’m on Sonoma 14.4.1

I have iCloud but I rarely used it. I unsynced my folders etc from ICloud from the jump because I didn’t want to use iCloud like that.

It sounds like you set your Mac up contrary to how you prefer to use it.

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
I’m on Sonoma 14.4.1

I have iCloud but I rarely used it. I unsynced my folders etc from ICloud from the jump because I didn’t want to use iCloud like that.

It sounds like you set your Mac up contrary to how you prefer to use it.

upgrade to 14.5 and let me know how that goes.

:hubie:

Last edited:

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
:mjlol: You can deactivate this in settings. Just turn off "optimize storage" on icloud settings

apple menu > system settings > your name/profile > icloud

then just untick the "optimize mac storage" option

14.5 update forces you to enter your mac password so that icloud can "make changes".

i always refused to do that with earlier updates but with 14.5 it gave me no choice.

maybe a different setting flipped with a previous update and i didn't notice it but in any case why isn't there one big switch to deactivate icloud from the OS (and siri too) across the board.

it's insidious.

after posting this thread i turned off file vault, went through all my settings again, will do a manual copy to a WD drive that arrived overnight and will change my local password again later.

with linux in the cut.

Charlie Hustle

Light Bringer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sin City
14.5 update forces you to enter your mac password so that icloud can "make changes".

i always refused to do that with earlier updates but with 14.5 it gave me no choice.

maybe a different setting flipped with a previous update and i didn't notice it but in any case why isn't there one big switch to deactivate icloud from the OS (and siri too) across the board.

it's insidious.

after posting this thread i turned off file vault, went through all my settings again, will do a manual copy to a WD drive that arrived overnight and will change my local password again later.

with linux in the cut.

Here’s what I did
System Preferences > Apple ID. While you are there, UNcheck (disable) all iCloud services in the iCloud list.

Windows and Linux use the network login too. I’ve experienced that issue with my work computer trying to login while not connected to the internet.

Blessings

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:mjlol: You can deactivate this in settings. Just turn off "optimize storage" on icloud settings

apple menu > system settings > your name/profile > icloud

then just untick the "optimize mac storage" option
OP sounds like a goof
Dude could've got his answer within a 15 seconds on Google or ChatGPT

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
Apple will try to trick you into enabling iCloud, just have to be careful every time you get prompts or upgrade the OS. If you get finessed, them they instantly upload all of your contact data. I’m certain this a total information awareness program.

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

All Star
Daps
Apple (sonoma) forcing Macbook to use ICloud. I am done with them.

As soon as Linux is ready I'm overwriting my macbook and as for the rest of their products :camby:

This is a step too far.

And sheep-like mac users with barely a bleat. Apple as usual suppressing push-back.

I'm done with them.

:hubie::camby::hhh:
How do you overwrite a MacBook to work with Linux :lupe: