AP African American Studies pilot course debuts in 2022 /*full rollout in 2024-25 /* some states pull funding at the last minute

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

College Board Introduces AP African American Studies

AASA, The School Superintendents Association​

Feb 17, 2023
This session featuring College Board leaders offered a look at the development of Advanced Placement African American Studies, an overview of the content students will explore and the impact the course can have in welcoming more students to advanced classes

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

4 states to review AP African American studies class amid Florida's ban​

Feb 18, 2023
imrs.php

Demonstrators protest Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis’s criticism of an Advanced Placement course on African American studies as they stand outside the Florida Capitol in Tallahassee on Wednesday

At least four more states will review the new Advanced Placement African American studies course to see if it conflicts with their policies or laws restricting the teaching of race, an indication that the controversy swirling around the class in Florida could spiral

Officials in Arkansas, Virginia, North Dakota and Mississippi said they had questions and planned reviews before deciding whether the new class may be taught in their classrooms. Another four states said no review was planned, but suggested that could change.

“I haven’t seen the course content for this particular course but just from reading certain news reports there are allegations that it contains elements of critical race theory,” said Dale Wetzel, spokesman for the North Dakota Department of Public Instruction. “So we’re going to need to look at it. We don’t want to assign a course code to something that violates state law.”

The course, which covers a wide range of Black history and cultural topics, is being piloted in about 60 classrooms nationwide this year. The pilot will continue this fall, and the class will be widely available in fall 2024 — unless states block their schools from offering it. In many states, no class can count toward graduation unless it is granted a state-issued course code.

Scholars say the course offers high school students a deep dive into an essential part of the American experience, one mostly confined to college campuses until now. Major topic areas include the African diaspora; freedom, enslavement and resistance; and movements and debates, including the civil rights movement and discussions of identity and culture.

But critics contend that inclusion of political topics, along with the use of certain buzzwords, render the class ripe for indoctrination. The course’s arrival at this moment of supercharged political battles over education has put it into the crosshairs of Republicans who in recent years have subjected schools to an extraordinary degree of scrutiny.

At least 18 states, including Florida, have laws or policies that restrict the teaching of race.

More-states-scrutinizing-AP-Black-studies-after-Florida-complaints.jpg

Last edited:

Controversy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Philly

College Board Introduces AP African American Studies

AASA, The School Superintendents Association

Feb 17, 2023
This session featuring College Board leaders offered a look at the development of Advanced Placement African American Studies, an overview of the content students will explore and the impact the course can have in welcoming more students to advanced classes

Damn, I know Brandi Waters from Penn...small world

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
As much as I respect Dr. Carr he was rambling and longwinded in this lol.

Im guessing his main issue is the omission of the topics the college board removed and turning it into a regular history course without a big focus modern discussion. He also puts emphasis on it being a course not intended to “liberate” black students due to the same reasons.

He is 100% right on thats what it mainly is, a bare bones history course, but its also how every other history class ive taken in HS was oriented. We werent talking about modern topics in AP US History or AP European History, just the history. There was room for discussion in those classes depending on the teacher, but it wasnt the main focus. The college board is just forming AA history like its other history courses and I wouldnt have expected them to go beyond it with this one.

Imo opinion, as long as the core unbiased history is still there it not an issue. With the included class project, it still will provide plenty of flexibility on topics students can write and discuss which I think balances it out.

Even if the omitted topics were included, it still would have been biased, like I said before, with no sections on black conservatism and thought.
Someone pointed out the distinction between Studies and History , and how this course is different from earlier courses.
I'm fine with the current framework. I like that this AP class will be available and that students will be able to get college credits for it. Because Desantis chose to use it as a campaign issue and bogeyman, different groups are using this as a proxy war. Losing sight of what the course can and cannot do.
I'm tuning out most of it, and just following the legal developments.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Debate over AP African-American Studies course in Virginia

WUSA9

Feb 20, 2023
People are pushing back after Virginia Governor Glenn Youngkin said he wants state education officials to review an A-P African American Studies course

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
And I do think there is a point to be made in leaving out black conservative thought. Why shouldn’t they be included as well? The previous course would have been biased.

If you're talking about an actual movement of Black conservative thought (like say the NOI or aspects of the Black church), that's one thing.

If you're talking "random Black conservative who writes/speaks for White outlets and gets propped up by conservative whites as a figurehead so they can claim they're not racist", then that's not part of the story. You can't cover the thoughts of every human on Earth who just happens to be Black.

Kooley_High

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Da South
If you're talking about an actual movement of Black conservative thought (like say the NOI or aspects of the Black church), that's one thing.

If you're talking "random Black conservative who writes/speaks for White outlets and gets propped up by conservative whites as a figurehead so they can claim they're not racist", then that's not part of the story. You can't cover the thoughts of every human on Earth who just happens to be Black.

Im more-so talking about black conservatism springing from the ideals of Booker T Washington, Zora Neale Hearston, Sowell (as much as I hate the guy) and others in regards to social issues. They wouldnt be random figureheads, but people who made headway in the field. Their purpose would be to mainly serve as a counterbalance to the modern topics that were taken out of the curriculum if they were still included. Those topics are still heavily debated and not established as historical “fact” atm. Students should be given a diverse choice of opinion on them

Last edited:

Kooley_High

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Da South
Someone pointed out the distinction between Studies and History , and how this course is different from earlier courses.
I'm fine with the current framework. I like that this AP class will be available and that students will be able to get college credits for it. Because Desantis chose to use it as a campaign issue and bogeyman, different groups are using this as a proxy war. Losing sight of what the course can and cannot do.
I'm tuning out most of it, and just following the legal developments.
Yeah, Carr talked about that in the video as well highlighting that the Philadelphia African Studies course that he help create was more discussion focused and not just a course on historical events. He views African Studies as a more superior teaching platform than African American History. He does have a point in that logic

I do believe you are correct in that this course is being used as a proxy/culture war by Desantis and the main purpose and function of the course is getting lost in the fray.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Im more-so talking about black conservatism springing from the ideals of Booker T Washington, Zora Neale Hearston, Sowell (as much as I hate the guy) and others in regards to social issues. They wouldnt be random figureheads, but people who made headway in the field. Their purpose would be to mainly serve as a counterbalance to the modern topics that were taken out of the curriculum if they were still included. Those topics are still heavily debated and not established as historical “fact” atm. Students should be given a diverse choice of opinion on them

I think Booker T. Washington is a valid example and should definitely be covered. I don't know enough about Zora Neale Hearston, though "Their Eyes Were Watching God" is sitting on my bookshelf right now so I need to get my ass on that.

Sowell is an example of someone I see as a "Black" conservative, as opposed to a "Black Conservative". He's the Rose and Milton Friedman Senior Fellow at the Hoover Institution. He repeatedly appeared on Rush Limbaugh (and before that William Buckley) and primarily publishes his thoughts through World Net Daily, Townhall, RealClearPolitics, National Review, and The New York Post. His academic work is in economics quite apart from any particular racial issues, and so far as I know all of his awards and accolades were given to him by majority White groups. While he's written plenty about race, it's almost all been in his pop-level books marketed to a White Conservative audience. I'm not saying he isn't a valid scholar, but I don't see him as being part of any distinguished strand of Black thinkers. Perhaps that's unfair, but I just don't think that a single personality deserves coverage in a history class solely for stating positions that differ from the norm. He has to represent something greater than himself to earn that status.

Kooley_High

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Da South
I think Booker T. Washington is a valid example and should definitely be covered. I don't know enough about Zora Neale Hearston, though "Their Eyes Were Watching God" is sitting on my bookshelf right now so I need to get my ass on that.

Sowell is an example of someone I see as a "Black" conservative, as opposed to a "Black Conservative". He's the Rose and Milton Friedman Senior Fellow at the Hoover Institution. He repeatedly appeared on Rush Limbaugh (and before that William Buckley) and primarily publishes his thoughts through World Net Daily, Townhall, RealClearPolitics, National Review, and The New York Post. His academic work is in economics quite apart from any particular racial issues, and so far as I know all of his awards and accolades were given to him by majority White groups. While he's written plenty about race, it's almost all been in his pop-level books marketed to a White Conservative audience. I'm not saying he isn't a valid scholar, but I don't see him as being part of any distinguished strand of Black thinkers. Perhaps that's unfair, but I just don't think that a single personality deserves coverage in a history class solely for stating positions that differ from the norm. He has to represent something greater than himself to earn that status.

I understand what your saying. Especially in regards to black conservatives vs conservatives who are black, but my main point was that there should be a reasonable counterbalance that gives an apposing view to the modern topics that caused issue with the course. These topics were outside the overall history component.

These related to Intersectionality, Queer Studies, Reparations, Critical Race Theory, BLM etc. Since these are still highly debated and political, I think two sides of these topics should be covered, to allow students to come to a better independent decision. The scholars should of course be equal to each other. Or present topics that also show black conservatism.

I mentioned Sowell as an example mainly because he seems to have good standing with conservatives and also due to the fact that my knowledge of conservative thinkers is very limited. I of couse dont agree with him personally and think your description of him is pretty accurate.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps

With Sowell, it would be like teaching kids about Paul Krugman. Unless your goal is simply to say "this guy overcame things to become something in America," which you'd think these people would label as playing the race card/identity politics, I'm not sure why he should be covered. If you want to cast Clarence Thomas as a historical figure, fine. I get that. But a random conservative economist who happens to be black? Eh.

I don't see a value in discussing the origins of black conservatism beyond simply notating the shifts in the black vote based on historical events. Specifically the Civil War, the Great Mississippi Flood of 1927, FDR, and the passing of the Civil Rights Act. If the goal is to take politics out of history, straying beyond those historical events to highlight the 5-15% of black people who voted for republicans post-1964 strikes me as pushing an agenda. Hell if they wanted to not discuss black voting trends at all I wouldn't be mad either.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

AP African American Studies Scholars to Make Changes to Course​

Changes will ensure the course best reflects this dynamic discipline. Details of changes to be determined over the next few months.

College Board

The Advanced Placement Program has worked for several years alongside scholars, higher education institutions, and secondary schools to create an AP course in African American Studies.

We are committed to providing an unflinching encounter with the facts and evidence of African American history and culture. To achieve that commitment, we must listen to the diversity of voices within the field. The development committee and experts within AP remain engaged in building a course and exam that best reflect this dynamic discipline. Those scholars and experts have decided they will make changes to the latest course framework during this pilot phase. They will determine the details of those changes over the next few months.

Ultimately this work must deliver a representative introductory college-level course, and that imperative will guide its development. Hunger for this course has exploded around the country, growing from 60 schools in the first pilot year to 800 schools and 16,000 students in the school year ahead. Every day, there are more stories about how this course is opening minds and changing lives. Regardless of how many students take this course, each one of those students should have access to the full breadth and beauty of this discipline.

In embarking on this effort, access was our driving principle—both access to a discipline that has not been widely available to high school students, and access for as many of those students as possible. Regrettably, along the way those dual access goals have come into conflict. The updated framework, shaped by the development committee and subject matter experts from AP, will ensure that those students who do take this course will get the most holistic possible introduction to African American Studies.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359

For those who are interested a good coverage of historical conservative thought in the Black community is the book Saviors or Sell Outs. It also notes the differences between modern Black conservatives and those that came before.

The best discussion is probably the Booker T./Garvey vs. DuBois debates and also liberal arts vs vocational training.

Trying to be all-sides can distort issues in terms of showing every view. Sure there were Black slaveholders and Black people who thought MLK was a commie. Do they get equal mention with Frederick Douglas or MLK?

Also a lot of these arguments can be presented in a false binary fashion (i.e. self-help vs. handouts some from the right like to claim).

If you want to talk about modern Black conservatives you can but it would cover the Black break with the GOP starting with Hoover up until the Goldwater campaign and then how conservative politics now is similar or different than the past. You can mention Schuyler, Sowell, Steele, etc. but they are public intellectuals and have not held any major positions of power or built institutions like say Booker T. Washington. Clarence Thomas, Condi, Colin Powell, and Edward Brooke are the main ones to showcase imo.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

4 states to review AP African American studies class amid Florida's ban​

Feb 18, 2023

Officials in Arkansas, Virginia, North Dakota and Mississippi said they had questions and planned reviews before deciding whether the new class may be taught in their classrooms.

More-states-scrutinizing-AP-Black-studies-after-Florida-complaints.jpg

Arkansas education department nixes AP African American Studies course at last minute​

August 12, 2023
Untitled-design2.jpg

Word came Friday from distraught educators that a new Advanced Placement course on African American history was suddenly on the chopping block, just two days before the first bell of the school year was set to ring in Arkansas high schools planning to offer the class.
An official from the Arkansas Department of Education reportedly alerted high school teachers by phone on Friday that the class would not be recognized for course credit by the state in the 2023-24 school year. And unlike with every other AP class on offer, the state would not cover the $90 cost of an end-of-year test that gives students the opportunity to qualify for college course credit.

The College Board, which designs and administers AP exams, is currently piloting AP African American Studies at select U.S. high schools. Sixty schools around the country, including Central High in Little Rock and The Academies at Jonesboro High School, piloted the course last year. For the coming school year, the pilot program will expand to hundreds of schools, and students will test for college credit in the course for the first time in spring 2024.
Teachers at schools including Central High, North Little Rock High School, the North Little Rock Center for Excellence charter high school and Jacksonville High School prepared over the summer to offer the course in the upcoming school year. At least some of these teachers were at school prepping their classrooms and meeting with students and parents when they got the news from the state.

The full impact of the state’s move is still unclear. Teachers were reportedly told they could still offer the class, but the state will not recognize it on the same level as other AP courses. That may make African American Studies less attractive for students competing for top class rankings, who often seek out AP classes for the extra bump they provide to their GPAs (taking AP classes can shoot high-performing students above a 4.0). It could also have a chilling effect on other schools that might have been considering offering the course in the future.
The course will not count as a credit toward statewide graduation requirements, and students will have to pay their own test fees.

Oddly, no one at the Arkansas Department of Education answered phone calls or returned emails about the decision Friday afternoon, nor could they be reached Saturday. And because the phone calls about the last minute change went directly to teachers — bypassing district administrators and even principals — there was no paper trail to follow to figure out what was going on.
On Saturday morning, the state sent emails to district curriculum administrators letting them know the course would not be recognized. The terse email appeared not to be an official announcement but simply an alert to a change made in the education department’s course management system. The message indicates AP African American Studies was deleted from the state’s roster of offerings at 4:02 p.m. on the Friday before school starts for most public school students in Arkansas